Most effective form of non-surgical gender-reassignment available for men

April 1, 2014, 11:49 p.m.

Well I been lifting weights for many years, I could be just trolling you eh, so who is trolling whom in this thread ?

Maybe you picked a bad artical to dredge up?

Pints aren't weights.

Pastor of Muppets

April 2, 2014, 7:34 a.m.

it's not just the article's title though, it also the language and insinuations contained within the article. if it had just been the title and then the body of the article went in a different direction i don't think there would have been any backlash. in fact i think we would have seen more of the opposite, people more willing to embrace or investigate the idea of doing more resistance training.

I think we've been over this one a coupe of times already. If he didn't back up the title with some sort of reasoned response for it then everyone would completely ignore the body and just bitch about the title.

Whatever the case, how's about I re-write it for him right now:

If you love to jog, jog! If you don't love to jog but are jogging for health reasons, there appear to be better alternatives.

That's totally going to go viral.

April 2, 2014, 7:37 a.m.

how about wine bottles TB, and cases of wine for the heavy days ?

Its not a question of masculinity its more an annoyance that you would bring something so out of sync with endurance type sports like biking/running/xc skiing/at skiing and the non use of perfomance enhancing drugs

April 2, 2014, 8:07 a.m.

Its not a question of masculinity its more an annoyance that you would bring something so out of sync with endurance type sports like biking/running/xc skiing/at skiing and the non use of perfomance enhancing drugs

If it's not a question about masculinity, then I guess people are getting upset that there are different, possibly better, possibly worse ways of increasing ones endurance? Yeah, I don't think so either.

I have no idea what point you're trying to get across with the fragment, "and the non use of perfomance enhancing drugs".

Part of the reason I posted this is that I feel very strongly that quality of life in the later stages is closely related to the amount of muscle you still have left. Muscular atrophy begins in the 30's/40's and ramps up from there. The less muscle you have, the greater chance for broken bones, limited mobility and a host of other issues. Ignoring it is a very bad thing for the sedentary person, and even worse for people who love playing outdoors.

April 2, 2014, 8:12 a.m.

The overwhelming majority of the people here are not sedentary and not T nation

you are playing to the wrong crowd

would you post an artical about marathon on T nation?

April 2, 2014, 8:23 a.m.

I think we've been over this one a coupe of times already. If he didn't back up the title with some sort of reasoned response for it then everyone would completely ignore the body and just bitch about the title.

tha'st fine, but then why are you surprised at the reaction if that's what you were expecting? that makes absolutely no sense.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 2, 2014, 8:56 a.m.

The overwhelming majority of the people here are not sedentary and not T nation

you are playing to the wrong crowd

would you post an artical about marathon on T nation?

1) Agree
2) Disagree for reasons already stated
3) I don't participate in their forums in the slightest

April 2, 2014, 8:59 a.m.

tha'st fine, but then why are you surprised at the reaction if that's what you were expecting? that makes absolutely no sense.

Yes, I'm honestly surprised at how seriously people took the articles former title. I honestly thought only beefcakes got this bent out of shape when their masculinity was purportedly questioned.

April 2, 2014, 9:22 a.m.

Yes, I'm honestly surprised at how seriously people took the articles former title. I honestly thought only beefcakes got this bent out of shape when their masculinity was purportedly questioned.

the article is rife with presumptions, insults and mysogny. i'd be more surprised if people hadn't had adverse reactions to it. the reaction is less about the title and more about the underlying message of the article which is essentially the same as the title.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 2, 2014, 9:54 a.m.

the article is rife with presumptions, insults and mysogny. i'd be more surprised if people hadn't had adverse reactions to it. the reaction is less about the title and more about the underlying message of the article which is essentially the same as the title.

Presumptions backed with published scientific studies, an insulting title and I missed any misogynist comments.

Shall we amicably agree to disagree?

April 2, 2014, 10:13 a.m.

I think Lionel is confusing some people's personal fitness/health goals with vanity. Sure there is a vanity aspect to wanting to look thin/muscular/lean or whatever. Some people, say with Type "A" personalities, will go all the way to achieving this. Being vain is not a crime (but it qualifies as the worst of the 7 Deadly Sins - "Pride". Oh well, beach bod = eternal damnation - you get to meet the Devil, who by all accounts is pretty ripped).

I think every human guilty of vanity to some degree or another … I know I brush my hair and wear clothes that I think make me more presentable. Its harmful if it has a detrimental impact to people around you.

will that get me one of them girls with the fishing lure in her belly button?

Take her swimming, maybe she'll get a snag. If she dumps you, you'll still have some fish to eat.

April 2, 2014, 10:18 a.m.

I pick things up and put them down.

April 2, 2014, 10:19 a.m.

Presumptions backed with published scientific studies, an insulting title and I missed any misogynist comments.

Shall we amicably agree to disagree?

insults and mysogny:

- I recently created quite a stir by stating that jogging is probably the most effective form of non-surgical gender-reassignment available for men.

- Will it really turn you into a chick?

- You'll blame yourself for being a pussy, but in truth, it's not your fault at all - jogging sucks on an intrinsic level.

- If you're a strong guy who weighs over 200 pounds, I'll give you a moment to wipe off whatever you were just drinking from your computer screen.

- Okay, here's my justification behind that insensitive comment that got everyone's panties in a wad.

- And while the idea of masculinity varies somewhat from era to era and from one region of the world to another, masculinity is usually associated with superior strength, muscularity, speed, and power. Jogging, as the bulk of studies have repeatedly shown, reduces, or at the very least, makes it more difficult to maintain or develop all of the masculine traits I just described.

- Maybe you're willing to risk minimizing your manhood to obtain the supposed benefits of jogging

assumptions:

- As Dr. Fred Hatfield pointed out decades ago in his groundbreaking text, Power: A Scientific Approach, weight training is a far better tool for improving overall cardiovascular health than jogging. Hatfield makes special note of weight training's ability to improve the ejection fraction of the left ventricle, something jogging simply can't accomplish.

true but incomplete as this doesn't take into account lung efficiency.

- And remember, in terms of real-life functional capacity, jogging isn't, well, real life at all. Think about it: Aside from the times you may have jumped on a treadmill, raised your heart rate to the "fat-burning zone" and then kept it there for a prolonged period of time, when has your body ever experienced "aerobic training" in your actual everyday life? The answer is almost never. Aerobic exercise is a completely artificial construct.

maybe not so much in the modern world but many things in the modern world aren't real life, such as deadlifting 500lbs for example. besides, for thousands of years running or jogging was real life. in some places it sitll is. humans are far better adapted for long, coninuous endurance afforts than any other land based animal. to say aerobic exercise is a completely artifical construct is ridiculous.

there's some good stuff in that article, it's just horribly presented. whether one sees it as good or bad is based on one's perspective and life experiences.

Ellen Langer

April 2, 2014, 4:34 p.m.

insults and mysogny:

- I recently created quite a stir by stating that jogging is probably the most effective form of non-surgical gender-reassignment available for men.

- Will it really turn you into a chick?

- You'll blame yourself for being a pussy, but in truth, it's not your fault at all - jogging sucks on an intrinsic level.

- If you're a strong guy who weighs over 200 pounds, I'll give you a moment to wipe off whatever you were just drinking from your computer screen.

- Okay, here's my justification behind that insensitive comment that got everyone's panties in a wad.

- Maybe you're willing to risk minimizing your manhood to obtain the supposed benefits of jogging

C'mon man. If this is misogyny, then the man-cold youtube video must be misandry. The language above is absolutely par for the course here, including yourself not too long ago. I'll agree with you, it's a bravado I could do without and upon reflection I think I tune it out completely (both here, there and everywhere else).

I'm struggling to understand why you included this one:

And while the idea of masculinity varies somewhat from era to era and from one region of the world to another, masculinity is usually associated with superior strength, muscularity, speed, and power. Jogging, as the bulk of studies have repeatedly shown, reduces, or at the very least, makes it more difficult to maintain or develop all of the masculine traits I just described.

true but incomplete as this doesn't take into account lung efficiency.

Good point, I wonder if it is covered in the book. Have you read it?

And remember, in terms of real-life functional capacity, jogging isn't, well, real life at all. Think about it: Aside from the times you may have jumped on a treadmill, raised your heart rate to the "fat-burning zone" and then kept it there for a prolonged period of time, when has your body ever experienced "aerobic training" in your actual everyday life? The answer is almost never. Aerobic exercise is a completely artificial construct.

maybe not so much in the modern world but many things in the modern world aren't real life, such as deadlifting 500lbs for example. besides, for thousands of years running or jogging was real life. in some places it sitll is. humans are far better adapted for long, coninuous endurance afforts than any other land based animal. to say aerobic exercise is a completely artifical construct is ridiculous.

Yes, taking it to its logical conclusion, all we need for our current real-life functioning capacity is to be able to move our thumbs on the remote control and make it to and from the fridge.

April 2, 2014, 4:53 p.m.

I pick things up and put them down.

Yeah,we get it. Just please spare us any pictures of you and a group of oily men standing in their undies on a stage,bro.

Pastor of Muppets