2%

Feb. 1, 2014, 7:44 p.m.

interesting. Does your body not need the carbohydrates for fuel?

Feb. 1, 2014, 8:02 p.m.

Your body can get by on fat and protein through ketogenisis.

Getting to that point is a very tough slog.

Feb. 1, 2014, 8:19 p.m.

plenty of carbs in beer.:beer:

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 1, 2014, 8:21 p.m.

Orange Gatorade and vodka while camping. Too lazy to work up a sweat packing in beers.

Feb. 1, 2014, 9:53 p.m.

Your body can get by on fat and protein through ketogenisis.

Getting to that point is a very tough slog.

Easy. Just quaff a couple of cups of strong coffee before you exert. For the fat that is. I'm not sure about the protien.

plenty of carbs in beer.

Many years ago one of my workmates recorded his fastest ever time from the shop at the foot of #2Rd. to his place around city center after pounding a beer immediately prior to his ride home.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 1, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

plenty of carbs in beer.:beer:

i'm bad enough of a rider when sober…

Feb. 1, 2014, 10:10 p.m.

i'm bad enough of a rider when sober…

When you ride drunk,you don't really care how good you are.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 1, 2014, 10:11 p.m.

I was faster in the WBP this summer after 2 pints!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 1, 2014, 10:25 p.m.

Easy. Just quaff a couple of cups of strong coffee before you exert. For the fat that is. I'm not sure about the protien.

How long did it take you to get into ketosis and what method did you use to determine it?

Feb. 1, 2014, 10:28 p.m.

I was faster in the WBP this summer after 2 pints!

there is still room for improvement. up your intake for better results.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 1, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

well I need to be good enough not to crash

Feb. 1, 2014, 11:29 p.m.

How long did it take you to get into ketosis and what method did you use to determine it?

I don't know that I've ever been in "ketosis".
Oh, except for maybe that time at the Calgary Stampeed with that really obese woman from Detroit. Could that have been "ketosis"?
Caffine helps convert fat into energy before you burn off energy from carbs, no?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 2, 2014, 7:17 a.m.

Oh, except for maybe that time at the Calgary Stampeed with that really obese woman from Detroit. Could that have been "ketosis"?
Caffine helps convert fat into energy before you burn off energy from carbs, no?

Nah.

If the diet is changed from one that is high in carbohydrates to one that does not provide sufficient carbohydrate to replenish glycogen stores, the body goes through a set of stages to enter ketosis. During the initial stages of this process, blood glucose levels are maintained through gluconeogenesis, and the adult brain does not burn ketones. However, the brain makes immediate use of ketones for lipid synthesis in the brain. After about 48 hours of this process, the brain starts burning ketones in order to more directly use the energy from the fat stores that are being depended upon, and to reserve the glucose only for its absolute needs, thus avoiding the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.

Feb. 2, 2014, 1:17 p.m.

I make my own… and i need the drink as I'm running at ~84% Max heart rate for long rides. And I fainted a year ago from letting my sodium levels get too low. :0

But you can just make your own:

1/4 tsp - salt
1 tbls - sugar
1 tbls - lime juice

Feb. 2, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

When you are in ketosis, supposedly all those ketones get breathed out and your breath has a distinctive sweet smell. Suspect you would be feeling like shit long before you reach that stage … caffine probably does have an effect, but an "uppers" effect on your nervous system because caffine is a stimulant. That's why caffine is a prohibited substance (beyond certain very low levels) at the Olympics and reason they give some people in the military (like combat pilots and the Waffen SS) amphetamines to get them all "gung-ho".