Why do bike manufacturers expose gear wires?

Oct. 17, 2011, 5:04 p.m.

Friction and compression. The less housing the better.

Oct. 17, 2011, 5:22 p.m.

There's so much theory when it comes to cables. A gear cable running through a decent 5mm full length housing won't really suffer from friction or compression. It's more important to clean or change cables on a regular basis. Anyway, I'm not getting drawn further into something so nerdy, so if anyone wants to offer an alternative opinion, I won't respond :D

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 17, 2011, 6:15 p.m.

BINGO

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Oct. 17, 2011, 6:58 p.m.

BINGO

[Walleaters twin sister with matching facial hair] In laboratory / dry road tests. Open cables have more places for water and grit to get into the housing, even with sealed ferrules. The short stretch of housing that runs into the rear derailleur gets bunged up easily. There are also more places for the housing to fail, bits of compression strands to pull through or rust.
However, apparently Walleater can't even remember what style cable routing he has on his own bike as it is such a boring subject matter. [/Walleaters twin sister with matching facial hair]

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 17, 2011, 9:29 p.m.

Dirt and grime. The more housing the better.

I can't believe that experienced riders in crappy climates aren't all running full 5mm housing. Shocking. Wait what, this is California? Ohhhhh, now I get it.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

Oct. 17, 2011, 9:51 p.m.

Dirt and grime. The more housing the better.

I can't believe that experienced riders in crappy climates aren't all running full 5mm housing. Shocking. Wait what, this is California? Ohhhhh, now I get it.

To be honest I've done years on the shore on both set-ups on many different bikes and I just prefer sectional housing.

Sure full housing stays cleaner longer, but when it does get dirty it's a pain to clean and half the time I ended up junking the cable because the end had started to fray or kink at the anchor point and I couldn't slide it back through the housing after pulling it out.

With sectional housing I can easily clean 99% of the cable in less than 5 minutes and with no tools.

Oct. 18, 2011, 9:08 a.m.

Huh?

http://www.timecube.com/

Spoilsport.

Oct. 18, 2011, 10:30 a.m.

Cables and housing are cheap consumable parts. Full housing can mean more friction. Use the Shimano ferrules and boots, lube with Cable Magic and you'll get good results. Often though I set up my bikes with full housing just at the rear run.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 18, 2011, 10:59 a.m.

never had any issues with my mountain bikes running full length outer cable :)

often had issues with my mountain bikes running sectional outer cable with exposed inner cable lengths :(

my last 5 mountain bikes (all canadian manufacturers - Devinci and Banshee) had full length cabling and no issues to report

I use Shimano SP-41 outer on my mountain bikes and always introduce some Finish Line wet lube into the cable outer whilst assembling, to compliment the shimano factory grease already in the cable

normally sees me through a full season or beyond, without changing ANY cabling on my SRAM 9 speed setups

however, using SRAM 9 speed shifting may negate this positive experience as I've found Shimano 9 speed to be much more sensitive of bad cabling in terms of reliable gear performance in terms of my own ownership and for my customers' bikes coming through my workshop

Oct. 18, 2011, 11:24 a.m.

This is why I support wireless/electronic gear changing. We don't still have a cable from the remote to the tv do we?

(Runs for cover.)

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 18, 2011, 12:41 p.m.

This is why I support wireless/electronic gear changing. We don't still have a cable from the remote to the tv do we?

(Runs for cover.)

Wireless means transceiver at each shifter and derailleur and separate batteries at each component too. At this time it is lighter and better to use wires. I think that there will be electronic shifting at the XTR level in the foreseeable future, the cost of breaking and having to replace one of those expensive rear derailleurs might not make it worth the risk.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 18, 2011, 3:31 p.m.

Wireless means transceiver at each shifter and derailleur and separate batteries at each component too. At this time it is lighter and better to use wires. I think that there will be electronic shifting at the XTR level in the foreseeable future, the cost of breaking and having to replace one of those expensive rear derailleurs might not make it worth the risk.

Perhaps for simplicity sake I will go single-speed and begin ingesting a healthy dosage of anabolic steroids.
:D

Wrong. Always.

May 8, 2017, 10:17 p.m.

Gear cable- We are manufacturers and suppliers of ape piaggio gear cable in delhi, india. Ape piaggio reverse gear cable manufacturers in delhi, gear cable suppliers in delhi, gear cable manufacturers in india, Compact gear cable suppliers in india. VIEW MORE :-   Gear cable manufacturers in india

May 8, 2017, 10:46 p.m.

I have been seeking reverse gear cables my entire fucking life.

May 9, 2017, 12:03 a.m.

The gear cable in my sisters '75 Fiat broke ever 10,000km.