What tires for Neds DH race?

May 11, 2009, 6:29 p.m.

There is a DH race down Neds?

What sort of time takes the podium?

Click Me

May 11, 2009, 7:56 p.m.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I clearly have an office job and no stamina…cuz neds is not smooth in any way shape or form! It does not feel pretty anything!!!

As far as tires Shirk…its almost all rock so most any tread will work….softer tires will offer a bit more grip but really…any clean new tire will do…Me..I would run my Minions cuz that what I have…

Timmy would have you ride Kendas….and a Norco….and his Marzocchi's….and a royal jersey….and Dicky shorts….and 3XL Boxxer shorts…driving an Element…

No he's right, it had alot more flow than last time i rode it.
Minion front was really awesome when i rode it(wet). get a fast rolling tire in the rear like Nevegal.

May 11, 2009, 8:58 p.m.

3.0 Gazzaloddi's bar none the best tire there is for this trail.

Shed head!

May 11, 2009, 10:22 p.m.

Don't get riled, i'm not trying to bash kenda or anything. ;)
Its simply the numbers from the tech data sheets:

Stickyness is mainly determined by softness, measured in durometers. Maxxis is 42a, Michelin is somewhere in the 4xa range. Kendas stick-e is 50a. Schwalbes gooey glooy used to be around 50a, but they changed it on their newest DH tyres. Should be below 50a now. Continental claim that their new DH rubber is rivaling maxxis old 40a rubber which was discontinued because of wear issues.

It seems like the main point of advanced rubber compounds is not to increase grip for a given durometer. Instead, they aim to increase durability for a given duro. At least that is what maxxis did with their super tacky and maxxpro compounds and conti is doing with their black chili.

Do you know where you got the data for the compound softness? I couldn't find info on the durometer of the Michelin or the Kenda. By a very uncalibrated thumb test I would have ascertained that the Maxxis ST was softer than a Kenda Stick-E, which was softer than anything Michelin made.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

May 12, 2009, 1:58 a.m.

The duro of stick-e can be found in the kenda catalogue. Theres a section on rubber compounds in there.

For the michelin i don't have an online source, read about them in an older local bike mag.

Just looked up the Schwalbe info, which is from schwalbe north america. The older GG is 52a, but no info on the new competition rubber exept that its softer.

May 12, 2009, 7:03 a.m.

I have been running Michelin DH Comp 16 2.5" tires and the rocks didn't hit the rims. I didn't notice any other good traits. I have Bontrager Big Earls on now and a set of Excavators coming soon. I hope the Big Earls turn out better than the Kenda Colemans, I mean Excavator, tires or I will never hear the end of it.

:canada:
My outdated bio, results, pictures and blog are here:
http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/MtbBryon

"Champions expect pain, endure pain & never complain." -Unknown Source.

May 12, 2009, 7:19 a.m.

I did some laps on Harper yesterday with the Kenda Colemans….. yup, they're a good tire, even better when you lean them over.

May 12, 2009, 7:53 a.m.

I have been running Michelin DH Comp 16 2.5" tires and the rocks didn't hit the rims. I didn't notice any other good traits.

haha, sometimes it's more about what isn't written :lol:

May 12, 2009, 9:26 a.m.

I have to agree with Bryon, I bought a set of Comp16s two years ago on the recollection that they were the definitive wet weather tire for BC trails. Wrong. They did all of 2 races and got sold off. I'd be very surprised to see any information source claiming Comp16s are softer than 50A.

Glad to hear you're still impressed with the Excavators Wayne. They served me well this past week-end. Just putting it out there but the Telonix is equally impressive when things get wet and nasty.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

May 12, 2009, 9:31 a.m.

They served me well this past week-end. Just putting it out there but the Telonix is equally impressive when things get wet and nasty.

You could have rode almost any tire this weekend timminator….dylan had some bald slope style tire….the berms were soooo sweet….

Can not wait for the ranch there wayner….

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

May 12, 2009, 10:22 a.m.

The Kenda Colemans were good at Harper but at times they weren't overly confidence inspiring… unless you leaned 'em way over onto those huge side lugs. There seems to be lots of area on those lugs to do some siping and cutting. I like that.

They remind me of the Comp32, or at least what I always wanted the 32 to be - a smaller, fast rolling, big knobbed tire.

The Comp16's shine in soft loamy conditions. Anything hard and they suck. In fact they are great in very limited terrain and when you do ride them in that stuff they hold like glue. Probably the slowest rolling tire there is, so you need to use those in mushy ground to get any sort of advantage. Those are the tires you take as spares if the ground is soft and the skies open up. Otherwise leave in the car. The Colemans seem to be all conditions tires (although I haven't tried them in the wet). Just put 'em on and forget it.

May 13, 2009, 9:01 p.m.

Eric Carter's mod to the Colemans

May 13, 2009, 9:26 p.m.

Will I go faster if I don't run a chain on Neds?

May 13, 2009, 9:42 p.m.

Do you know where you got the data for the compound softness? I couldn't find info on the durometer of the Michelin or the Kenda. By a very uncalibrated thumb test I would have ascertained that the Maxxis ST was softer than a Kenda Stick-E, which was softer than anything Michelin made.

This is kinda old, but only measured (vs. claimed) results I could find:

Maxxis ST = 48a (vs. claimed 42a)
Kenda Stick-E = 52a (vs. claimed 50a)

Source: http://www.kendauk.com/reviews.php

I think it really depends on how fresh the tire is too.

May 13, 2009, 10:28 p.m.

comp24's+toluene is da latest trend