Ooooooooo.............

Aug. 23, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

I went in to get a pair of wool socks and brake pads. I came out with an $8,300 bike. Wife is gonna cut my nerts off and mail them to MEC H/O.
:idea:

So…a good trade? Saddle on the new bike will be more comfortable now anyway without the nerts in the way.

Sexy pics of bike or gtfo.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Aug. 23, 2016, 8:44 p.m.

I wonder if their rock solid warranty applies to these high end bikes. Like, hypothetically; you leave it on the roof of your car and try to go into your underground. Can I bring this thing in in pieces and walk out with a new one? Not so sure about that…:dizzy:

If MEC doesn't have a warranty like that they'll continue to lose sales to Backcountry and places that do have warranties like that.

Selling $8000 mtn bikes while skirting tax laws if fucking greasy. Also how much of a yearend dividend payout will that $8000 bike net someone?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 23, 2016, 10:12 p.m.

I wonder if their rock solid warranty applies to these high end bikes. Like, hypothetically; you leave it on the roof of your car and try to go into your underground. Can I bring this thing in in pieces and walk out with a new one? Not so sure about that…:dizzy:

They've tightened their warranty procedure this year in response to people taking the piss. The MEC 'bike rental' scheme is no more, so people can't ride a bike for a year and then claim that it doesn't fit them, or that they don't like the colour (really…).

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 23, 2016, 10:24 p.m.

So…a good trade? Saddle on the new bike will be more comfortable now anyway without the nerts in the way.

Sexy pics of bike or gtfo.

Nah I wasn't serious. I have a gvrd mortgage so dropping that kind of coin on a bike isn't going to happen. I'd cut my own nerrts erf.

I may treat myself to a cruiser tho. Less likely to be stolen too in shitty gvrd.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 24, 2016, 3:50 a.m.

Selling $8000 mtn bikes while skirting tax laws if fucking greasy. Also how much of a yearend dividend payout will that $8000 bike net someone?

Yes, putting whatever profits they have into the community, providing decent wages and working conditions to their staff, and kicking back a small dividend to customers is not only bull shit, but a threat to capitalism.

Just be like other large retailers and focus on filling the pockets of the shareholders, and still skirt tax laws.

Aug. 24, 2016, 12:49 p.m.

I have never seen anything back from mec in all my years of being a customer….has anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I do like them and they do good shit in the community…but I would love to know if anyone here has ever received money back at the end of the year.

In the spirit of the thread…I kinda like the skittles colour theme…

Aug. 24, 2016, 1:04 p.m.

Also how much of a yearend dividend payout will that $8000 bike net someone?

Fuck yeah! Down payment on new boards! Win/Win!!!!!!!!!!!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 24, 2016, 1:33 p.m.

Nah I wasn't serious. I have a gvrd mortgage so dropping that kind of coin on a bike isn't going to happen. I'd cut my own nerrts erf.

I may treat myself to a cruiser tho. Less likely to be stolen too in shitty gvrd.

Dang, was hoping for a break from reality.
I wonder who does buy these mega bucks bikes…

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Aug. 24, 2016, 1:36 p.m.

I have never seen anything back from mec in all my years of being a customer….has anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I do like them and they do good shit in the community…but I would love to know if anyone here has ever received money back at the end of the year.

Yup. I get a dividend in the form of a MEC money card at the end of each year. Usually is anywhere between $50 and $100 (depending on how much I spent). Maybe check your emails and see if you have a few cards lying around in your junk folder? :)

https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/shares-and-credit-notes/

Aug. 24, 2016, 2:16 p.m.

Technically, you are getting patronage shares every year based on how much you spend. Once you've gotten above some threshold, they buy those shares back. So, you may not get a payout every year depending on how long it takes you to hit the threshold.

From shoreboy's link:

The 2016 share redemption returned $5.4 million to more than 110,000 members.

For the 2016 redemption, MEC bought back 3, 10 or 20 shares from eligible members. We sent those members gift cards that equalled their share redemption amount (at $5 per share, this means we issued $15, $50 and $100 gift cards). Each share redemption is issued in an individual member’s name (please redeem the gift card yourself). When we issued the share redemption gift card, the member’s share account balance was reduced by the value of the gift card they were issued.

To be eligible for the 2016 share redemption, members had to:

Have a share account balance greater than $225 and have made a purchase in 2014, and/or
Have at least $30 in patronage returns in 2014.

Aug. 24, 2016, 2:25 p.m.

Thanks for the info, looked around…guess I have never spent enough.

Aug. 24, 2016, 3:24 p.m.

Dang, was hoping for a break from reality.
I wonder who does buy these mega bucks bikes…

Realtors.

Aug. 24, 2016, 8:03 p.m.

Pretty much every year I receive a dividend. Been a member for almost forty years I think.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 24, 2016, 8:33 p.m.

Yep. I joined when they were in that quonset hut in the 2000 block of 4th Ave.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 24, 2016, 9:52 p.m.

Pretty much every year I receive a dividend. Been a member for almost forty years I think.

According to their website, they've only been paid out 15 times:

As of 2016, MEC has issued 15 share redemptions and returned $33 million to members.