NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Jan. 3, 2023, 8:31 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Every time I see this colour I wish my Moxie wasn't grey. Oh well.

My singlespeed is silver and there is something to be said for a subtle understated finish. OTOH if I ever need Search and Rescue help I'll be glad to be riding the pink Moxie.

Jan. 3, 2023, 3:18 p.m.

Wet weather has arrived here in Marin!

It's pretty dialed as it's currently built but I may put a 27.5" wheel on the back to see how that feels...

Jan. 3, 2023, 6:19 p.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

No hardtail for me this year unless I decide to rebuild my v.old (so old it has a QR rear axle) Rootdown 

Do it. Dirtbag rebuild.

Jan. 4, 2023, 4:16 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I've tried both for extended periods [more than a decade clipped in] and have not found I climb faster clipped in. Where I've been able to do enough back to back testing on the same machine equipped both ways it's been a draw on performance. 

For my GF she is not the most confident rider so adding clips to steep techy climbs is going to degrade her climbing abilities even if there was some theoretical potential benefit to unlock. Knowing she can step off the bike without a second thought means she'll keep fighting up a gnarly climb. If she had to also unclip she'd just stop early to make that happen. I'm sure the same would be true of myself as I got to the limit of techy climbs I'd try.

We ride with people that use clipless pedals, those that use flats as well as those that go back and forth. Over the years I haven't noticed anything that would lead me to believe the folks I ride with are unlocking anything extra when they use clipless vs. flats. Our relative pace and likelihood to clean tough climbs seems pretty pedal agnostic. If there is a change it's below the noise level of the many factors that influence performance in recreational mountain bikers.

All that said it's just my experience so I'm not going to argue about pedals. If someone thinks clipless is their jam I won't try and convert them to the one true path of flats.

Makes sense.  Maybe I need to spend more time on flats - which I intend to this year.  I think there's the case of being able to ride flats and really being able to ride flats.  I'm in the first camp at the moment but want to graduate to the second.

Enough off topicness - i'm lovin' the Pink Moxie.

Jan. 4, 2023, 6:01 a.m.

The climbs are still exhausting in '23. Descents are still worth it though. Happy New Year everyone - keep hardtail trail riding alive!

Jan. 4, 2023, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: allride.now

The climbs are still exhausting in '23. Descents are still worth it though. Happy New Year everyone - keep hardtail trail riding alive!

Beautiful area, where are you located?  Looks like Europe?

Jan. 4, 2023, 12:08 p.m.

Posted by: michel77

Posted by: allride.now

Beautiful area, where are you located? Looks like Europe?

Yep, quite central europe. That view is about 5km from Heidelberg, Germany.

Thanks to a couple really passionate trailbuilders it's not all about views but also some really challenging trails carved into these steepish hillsides left and right of the river.

But pssst... kind of  like #squamishsucksdontgo (although nothing comes close to the granite wonderland there)

Last edited by: allride.now on Jan. 5, 2023, 1:15 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 4, 2023, 1:28 p.m.

Can't rightly remember what year this frame is, but I think it's at least 20 years old now.  I gave it a major facelift in 2020, and a few minor ones since then.  Relatively modern geo now, plus it can fit 29 x 2.8" or 27.5 x 3.8".  

I run the skinnies in the spring when the snow is gone and there's still moisture left in the soil.

I run the fatties the rest of the year -- high summer when things are blown out and moondusty, fall when the roots get wet, stripped, and slick, and winter with studs.

For '23 I had a buddy modify a set of Revelate Nano Panniers to fit the custom rack. It's a bikepacking rig par excellence, and it has deserved custom bags for years now.

This page hasn't been updated for a bit, but most of the deets are here.

www.LaceMine29.com

Jan. 4, 2023, 2:28 p.m.

Very cool slingshot....cool to see one still being used!

Jan. 4, 2023, 4:34 p.m.

In winter/semifat mode. Some minor changes to come as I optimize/borrow parts for my FS build

Jan. 5, 2023, 2:29 a.m.

Mikesee - The slingshot looks awesome - how does the slingshot ride compared to a regular hardtail?

Jan. 5, 2023, 6:50 a.m.

That Slingshot is super cool. I could really enjoy a 27 x 3.8" bike I think. Would feel a lot more like a mountain bike than a fatbike.

Jan. 5, 2023, 7:21 a.m.

I like getting a lot of weight on my rear tire for climbing traction so I've got my CS pretty much slammed. The downside with short CS is that chainline issues get exacerbated. 

Garbaruk makes a 7.5mm offset 28T oval chainring which I installed and I flipped a 2mm BB spacer from the DS to the NDS. 

The combination of changes made a noticeable difference in the chainline to the easy cogs of the cassette where I am putting the most torque down.

Jan. 5, 2023, 9:12 a.m.

The slinger is surprisingly compliant relative to any other hardtail I've owned. I've been pretty hard on my body through the years, with a whole host of joint issues all threatening to bring the house of cards down at any moment. Pretty sure this is the last hardtail I'll own, because everything else is just a bit too harsh.

I run the 27.5 x 3.8" tires on 50mm rims. Gives them a tall, rounded profile at high (~8-9psi) pressures, so they roll really well. Definitely feels way more like a trail bike than a fatbike.

Last edited by: mikesee on Jan. 5, 2023, 4:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 5, 2023, 11:02 a.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Very cool slingshot....cool to see one still being used!

Hmm… I believe there is one in Jamaica still being used as well.