NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Feb. 6, 2023, 5:12 a.m.

I like me a tall steerer and I cannot lie. ;-)

Feb. 6, 2023, 10:39 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Looks nice. Nice rear wheel / pedal lean.

That.  Is.  Beautiful.

Feb. 6, 2023, 1:15 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Longer cut steer tubes for the win for now Vik.

I can only dream of that much steerer on my HT fork.  Even on the FS I only have 20mm spacers however with a 70mm bar can get the bars quite high.

This is the Stylus with the fork that came with it.  Not much more height could add as it is a short steer tube. Thinking about it now more it is frustrating as now days with it so easy to change stem height with spacers that steer tubes are cut this short. It kinda has me thinking it is encouraged as some kind of it looks cool selling point. While it to a bit small percentage of riders it is not adding to their enjoyment of riding and making it miserable. And I strongly believe it leads many riders to accepting it the misery of uncomfortable bike set up with the idea that as have been told “If the bike industry wanted it better they would have sold me that” type conclusions.

Feb. 7, 2023, 6:47 p.m.

Got my bike theft deterrent devices installed the other day, absolutely loving how much cleaner the ride is in the slop!!  Thanks for the great suggestions guys, really appreciate it. 

Went out and leaned it against some stuff in the woods

Like Vik, I almost like the bike more with the fenders on it now.  I'll definitely be keeping the front on year round, we'll see if the rear gets removed in summer.

On a sidenote, Fartymarty deets on that chromag please.  How on earth did you manage to ss one without a chain tensioner device?  Its beyond aesthetic, just a perfect hardtail

Feb. 7, 2023, 10:56 p.m.

Posted by: burnskiez

Got my bike theft deterrent devices installed the other day, absolutely loving how much cleaner the ride is in the slop!!  Thanks for the great suggestions guys, really appreciate it. 

Ha, I also took my theft-deterrent-equipped Scrambler out in search of some good leaning places last night! Ft. uncut steel steerer tube too.

avant gard lean

Feb. 8, 2023, 1:30 a.m.

On a sidenote, Fartymarty deets on that chromag please. How on earth did you manage to ss one without a chain tensioner device? Its beyond aesthetic, just a perfect hardtail

It wasn't mine, I just reposted the piccy from @TheJankFiles (https://nsmb.com/profile/17324/) link.

It is tidy tho and would also like to know how it was SSed.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Feb. 8, 2023, 1:36 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 8, 2023, 1:39 a.m.

I'm liking the Stooges.  They're such a cool looking bike.

Tristan - what levers / brakes are you using on the drops - are they hydraulic?  I'm wanting to put some drops on my Krampus to "gravel" it up a bit and still run Shimano hydraulic brakes however don't want to spend a fortune on it.

Feb. 8, 2023, 5:16 a.m.

Tristan - what levers / brakes are you using on the drops - are they hydraulic?  I'm wanting to put some drops on my Krampus to "gravel" it up a bit and still run Shimano hydraulic brakes however don't want to spend a fortune on it.

Cable-actuated hydraulic, Microshift SB-M110 levers and Juin Tech GT-P brakes. You might want to look at the Surly Corner Bars if you're looking for a drop-ish option with MTB controls.

Feb. 8, 2023, 5:54 a.m.

Posted by: TristanC

Cable-actuated hydraulic, Microshift SB-M110 levers and Juin Tech GT-P brakes. You might want to look at the Surly Corner Bars if you're looking for a drop-ish option with MTB controls.

Wow, those brakes look cool.

I looked at the Corner Bar but as with all things Surly they're well overbuilt plus the bend is a little wierd.  I will probably end up either keeping the straight bars or getting some cable discs.

Feb. 8, 2023, 6:28 a.m.

I had a lot of help on this forum with my hardtail choice. I wanted to replace the Karate Monkey with something for chunky central Texas XC trails that plays nice with a 120mm fork, or 495mm rigid. What I got from Marino is a burly steel frame with geometry close to a Neuhaus Hummingbird or Chumba Sendero. it's more LLS than the KM, but not as much as something like a Sirius. total cost was about $700!

geometry with a 120mm fork at 30% sag:
reach: 450
stack: 608
wheelbase: about 1145
HTA: 67°; this seems "steep" to some but it works for me and my terrain. I have a Works 1.5° headset that I'll try some time to see if I like it slack-er
chainstays: 420mm with space for a 29x2.4" tire and 34t chainring, adjustable to 435mm with sliders. I find that 425-430 is a sweet spot for me, but a shorter option is fun for experimenting
410mm seat tube, 31.6mm i.d. with plenty of room for a 180mm post
seat tube angle is irrelevant because the ST is custom bent for a 613mm ETT

first: I got this frame last Thursday, then a nasty winter storm hit over the weekend that blanketed Texas in several inches of ice. it took down some HUGE branches in my yard, knocked out power for the better part of a week for thousands, and the local trails will be decimated by fallen branches for a long time, except where tons of volunteers have cleared trails by hand. Additionally, I hurt my back trying to move a branch that fell on my house, so I'm in no shape to ride. then we got more and more rain this week after the storm. needless to say, the gods were pissed off that I got a new bike to ride.

regarding the frame, it's a good 10 ounces heavier than my Karate Monkey. it might be close to seven pounds with the sliders and hardware. I chose Reynolds 725 tubing as an upgrade to make it stronger, but I don't think it helped the weight. on the other hand, this is probably similar to Honzo or RSD Middlechild. needless to say, I don't need to baby this thing on the rocks. I think this is what they mean when they say "you get what you pay for," regarding the weight, because a Hummingbird or Sendero would probably be significantly less, but also cost 3x as much. I won't let that bother me.

everything came together nicely and I think it was well made. I started the process in early November, the frame was completed and shipped just before New Years, and it arrived about three weeks later after a long pause in Peru's customs office.

nitpicks: I asked for stealth dropper routing on the left side of the frame, when I should have put it on the right so the cable would wrap around the head tube instead of a tight bend in front of the HT. I solved that by using the cable mounting saddle only to keep the zip tie in place and warped the dropper cable around the other side of the frame. the bend from the downtube to the seat tube is really tight, but it seems to work smoothly. mostly aesthetics. the water bottle mounting point are kind of ugly and "volcano" shaped, instead of a flat surface. I filed them down easily enough.

Oneup 180mm dropper, 120mm Bomber Z2, SQLabs 30x 12° handlebar, 50mm stem, 34/21 gearing puts the chainstay length at about 421mm.

here is the final product leaning against my decaying fence:

Last edited by: mack_turtle on Feb. 8, 2023, 6:31 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 8, 2023, 10:28 a.m.

That's a sweet looking Marino.  What color is that (in case I order a Marino one day?)  It looks very seafoam green which is also a great guitar color.  ;)

Feb. 8, 2023, 10:55 a.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

That's a sweet looking Marino.  What color is that (in case I order a Marino one day?)  It looks very seafoam green which is also a great guitar color.  ;)

They just called that color #19. I was just going for something light & bright instead my usual black on black color scheme.

Feb. 8, 2023, 1:10 p.m.

Like Vik, I almost like the bike more with the fenders on it now.  I'll definitely be keeping the front on year round, we'll see if the rear gets removed in summer.

On a sidenote, Fartymarty deets on that chromag please.  How on earth did you manage to ss one without a chain tensioner device?  Its beyond aesthetic, just a perfect hardtail

Beautiful stooge, even with the enormous fenders! Off topic, but I think you mentioned earlier in the thread you are on the Norcal coast (also judging by the redwood in that picture). A move to Mendocino county for a couple years might be in my near future and I am curious to know about the riding if you have any thoughts. I have a friend there but he is more of a gravel/road guy. Looks like nice riding in Jackson Forest but maybe pretty nontechnical?

Feb. 8, 2023, 1:50 p.m.

The problem with Stooge bikes is I can't see myself just buying one.

Feb. 8, 2023, 4:42 p.m.

Then again your outlook might be different in 2042 when they next become available. Actually, that's a reason for hoarding too...