No Gloves

Jan. 9, 2011, 12:58 a.m.

I can't seem to find an awnser to why so many people no longer wear gloves, so I pose the question to you; Why is it freeriders, dirtjumpers, downhillers and every other peson inbetween have stopped wearing gloves lately?
Every second rider in every recent video seems to have bare hands, what is the reasoning? It's driving me crazy.

Jan. 9, 2011, 1:13 a.m.

the feel? I don't mind no gloves for commuting but i can't stand biking without gloves for dirt jumping or any other type of riding, hands feel super bare and my gloves saved my hands from thousands of road rash/dirt rash or whatever you wanna call it.

but then I have moved on from wearing slightly thicker gloves to simple slip on gloves that are fairly thin palm area. I tried using raceface diablous glove I bought in emergency but those are too thick and gave me hand cramps every time i tried to brake down whistler.

Jan. 9, 2011, 1:22 a.m.

gloves for long days
hands for everything else

Jan. 9, 2011, 1:49 a.m.

dumb trend IMO, if you're gonna spend so much money to buy a neckbrace and TLD, should definitely wear gloves/knee pad.

Jan. 9, 2011, 3:10 a.m.

My friends who surf and skate don't wear gloves while biking. My friends who came from bmx racing don't wear gloves either. I think for those people its just about being comfortable.

I've done sports most my life, and always wore gloves because I was told I needed them. Kinda like when I started skating. I stood regular, but pushed mongo cus I that's just what happened and I got comfy with it.

Jan. 9, 2011, 5:03 a.m.

I always felt that for bmx, street or dirt jumping no gloves and fat grips gave me the most control over the bike.

www.natooke.com

Jan. 9, 2011, 9:52 a.m.

I once crashed on a gravel fire road and since then I always wear gloves when I am riding, be it my commuter, my ht or my big blue pig. I am not Sam Blenkinsop.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 9, 2011, 9:57 a.m.

I can't seem to find an awnser to why so many people no longer wear gloves, so I pose the question to you; Why is it freeriders, dirtjumpers, downhillers and every other peson inbetween have stopped wearing gloves lately?
Every second rider in every recent video seems to have bare hands, what is the reasoning? It's driving me crazy.

At one oclock in the morning this is what drives you crazy? You gotta start jerkin off a little more….try it without your gloves on

diggin

Jan. 9, 2011, 10:19 a.m.

I used to ware gloves but then when I got heavy into urban riding I ditched them, because with out them I could bunny hop way higher. I found the gloves would slip in my grip and cause me to loose a little bit of that twist of the grip that helps me get just higher up. Now I don't ware when at all, well maybe on a cold day.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 9, 2011, 10:35 a.m.

More and more I am riding with out gloves. I find with most gloves I am having problems with my hands numbing. If I don't ride with gloves, I don't have a problem with my hands numbing. I do feel naked on nasty trails without them.

Master of Puppets

Jan. 9, 2011, 10:48 a.m.

I crashed this summer without gloves going not that fast (had taken them off to adjust my helmet strap, then the group took off, I stuffed them into my pocket and tried to catch up, had an idiot brain fart and just didn't make a corner…). Drove a small rock deep into my palm and aside from the general scrapeage pulled a flap of skin/muscle back. Required 6 "meat stitches" below the surface, 9 surface stitches. Couldn't hold a handlebar for 6 weeks, let alone actually ride anything beyond a gravel path. I couldn't type with that hand for 2 weeks, which in my job is a bit of a problem.. It's now, what, 6 months later and the area is still sensitive. And of course the doctor made it very clear to me that it was a freakin' miracle I didn't cut a tendon or nerve bundle, and my pulverized palm was pretty much the best possible outcome…

Take away your ability to use your hands and you're pretty much useless for anything. So yeah, I wear my gloves. :|

Jan. 9, 2011, 10:54 a.m.

i love not wearing gloves. Just less between you and the bike. But i always get massive cuts and slices on my hand from blackberry bushes on the sides of trails. Getting a big, barbed vine between your knuckles ripped out at 40km/h doesn't feel too good. So i wear the thinnest dakine gloves i can find, they rock!

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Jan. 9, 2011, 11:20 a.m.

I always find gloves but they are all left ones,tried turning them inside out but outer protection seems to chafe.
Wintertime,us old guys braking index finger numbs up,so a cheap thin ski gloves only option.
Summertime no gloves = better caloses.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

Jan. 9, 2011, 11:31 a.m.

I only wear gloves when it's cold. I prefer a thin grip, and feel like gloves bunch up and twist a bit. I just like the feel. My hands don't sweat much, so no issues in the summer. I wear a fullface for faster trails and pure shuttles, skate lid when there are hike a bikes or more pedalling involved.

Jan. 9, 2011, 12:11 p.m.

Nice pic^^^ Is that Fromme?

Gloves and sleeves are over rated.

I know this is a bit crazy but I still love the feel. My commute home from the mine.

The death wing tires are gone. They made things just a bit too hairy.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.