My bike rack

March 29, 2012, 9:52 p.m.

My guess is price.

There's very little difference in price in the end especially with the fasteners. Aluminum may be more expensive per pound that steel but it is 1/3 the density. It will be slightly more expensive in the end but not much especially if you don't paint it.

March 29, 2012, 10:45 p.m.

It will also be way weaker. I had the weight of my truck pretty much on this rack and it's fine. Aluminum would bend for sure.

March 30, 2012, 11 a.m.

It will also be way weaker. I had the weight of my truck pretty much on this rack and it's fine. Aluminum would bend for sure.

Not if designed properly. You'd be amazed at how much bending load a 2" aluminum square tube can take. Just don't go thin wall or it'll bend right at the hitch.

March 30, 2012, 1:10 p.m.

Yeah I think I'm going to make the MTB trays out of aluminum next time. More expensive but lighter for sure. As for the 'spine' and link plates I'm sticking with steel, remember that I'm making a 'moto' tray for those with dirtbikes. Steel is just stronger and less expensive.

I also agree with the strapping of the bike, I'm working on a system to make it more foolproof, not sure if it will work yet though haha.

Is there any need for a separator between the aluminum and steel? Any corrosion issues with dissimilar metals?

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

March 30, 2012, 6:46 p.m.

What if there was a guide on the rear tire side of the tray and a ramp into the front tire holder so that you could load it like a bike park lift? I guess the bikes facing the other way might be a problem though. Anyhow, just an armchair idea.

March 30, 2012, 7:44 p.m.

Ross-everything is powder coated anyway so the actual metals dont actually touch. Even so there wouldn't be corrosion anyway.

Woodlot- haha funny you say that because that is actually how I've started loading the bikes. They roll in just fine.

At the end of the day I could do so many things to this rack but I need to draw the line somewhere. I'm not going to get rich selling these and I have no intention of making this a full on business. I feel the design is durable, simple, doesn't wreck the frames or anything and is pretty user friendly.

March 30, 2012, 8:39 p.m.

Ross-everything is powder coated anyway so the actual metals dont actually touch. Even so there wouldn't be corrosion anyway.

Woodlot- haha funny you say that because that is actually how I've started loading the bikes. They roll in just fine.

At the end of the day I could do so many things to this rack but I need to draw the line somewhere. I'm not going to get rich selling these and I have no intention of making this a full on business. I feel the design is durable, simple, doesn't wreck the frames or anything and is pretty user friendly.

True about the steel/powdercoat [HTML_REMOVED] aluminum - no worry about corrosion.

If you made the main structure out of steel and made the trays out of aluminum it would be a nice compromise. Very nice rack as it is though:clap:

I currently have a Thule T2 and it would be a whole lot lighter if the cross tubes that hold the rear wheel tray and side arm were aluminum.

March 30, 2012, 8:59 p.m.

Yeah the trays out of aluminum are something I may do. It is true that the cost of aluminum compared to steel is nil. I buy it all in 4x8 sheets and the difference is about $20. I think I'll stick with steel for the main structure for sure though. I could engineer it to be strong if built with aluminum but I'm not an engineer haha!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Oct. 1, 2014, 1:46 p.m.

Bringing back this thread from the dead. It's been 2.5 years and it's time to sell this rack and make another. In that time I've seen lots of new designs come out, lots of rip-offs too. My rack hasn't left my truck since I installed it and it's been in 1 car accident and backed into a tree lol. Anyway what are some complaints with the new designs offered now? Trying to get some ideas for the new build.

Oct. 1, 2014, 4:50 p.m.

I'd like to see someone fab modular racks that could be quickly mounted and dismounted in a utility trailer.

4 or more heavy bikes hanging off the back of my truck is a recipie for disaster.

Maybe a kit for mounting the same racks on top of a tent trailer.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 2, 2014, 12:44 p.m.

Bringing back this thread from the dead. It's been 2.5 years and it's time to sell this rack and make another. In that time I've seen lots of new designs come out, lots of rip-offs too. My rack hasn't left my truck since I installed it and it's been in 1 car accident and backed into a tree lol. Anyway what are some complaints with the new designs offered now? Trying to get some ideas for the new build.

EASY! Bring back the Arbutus rack EXACTLY as it was but add a 2 bike version for 1.25 hitches. Thank you in advance!:clap: