Looking for a new HT complete - suggestions?

Aug. 10, 2010, 12:05 p.m.

Hey everyone,

So I'm looking for a new do everything hardtail after getting my bike jacked last week. (stolen listing in buy and sell)

Now comes the tough time of figuring out what to get for a new bike. I used to live up in Whistler, ride a ton and be all over the forums and sites checking out the new gear as it came out but now I don't ride as much and am pretty out of the loop on what's out there.

I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions on what I should consider for my next ride.

What I'm looking for:
A do everything hardtail with a really low standover (I'm 5' 3") on the lighter side. I want to keep this as cheap as possible (wasn't really planning on buying a new bike right now) but plan to upgrade some of the components in time. I will be setting it up with 2 brakes and both a front and rear gears.

What I'll ride with it -
dirt jump, pump track, xc, light dh/aggressive all mountain, and everything inbetween ( I know - that's a lot for any bike to be good at). My old bike saw everything from 2 seasons in the Whistler Bike Park (before I got my full sus.) to Pemby shuttle runs, XC rips and even commuting and seawall rides.

I've been considering:
the Giant STP 1 (seems decently spec'd)
Transition trail or park (little too $ for me right now)
Rocky Mountain Flow 1
another Kona Stuff (alright, if I upgrade a bunch of components over time)

Is there anything else I should be considering? I figure whatever I get I'll end up throwing a Fox Talas up front again once I have a bit more cash.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aug. 10, 2010, 1:34 p.m.

someone posted this link in another thread so i'll post it up again - brodie's clearance bikes. seem to be some decent deals in there. i personally have an older cretin but i just use it for urban/dj'ing. i also have a .243 15" ht that i use for pretty much everything else, but they were only available for a year (2001).

sorry to hear about your ride being stolen :( good luck in finding a replacement!

http://www.brodiebikes.com/2010/online_store/factory_clearance.php

Aug. 10, 2010, 2:12 p.m.

For the all-round purpose, I like hardtails with a ~68 head angle. I now ride a Santa Cruz Chameleon, 16", which is just big enough with a 400mm post. Your legs are shorter obviously as it seems the Kona Stuff fit you for the purpose. From what I can tell, Kona's dirt jump bikes have pretty steep head angles which makes them less useful for shore/dh riding.

As for completes, the Kona Five-O and Brodie Holeshot both fit the bill. The Norco Sasquatch is a similar bike as well. These wouldn't really be considered "light", though, with a Marz 55. However, swapping to a Talas and upgrading components will eventually give you a bulletproof do-anything hardtail.

flickr

Aug. 10, 2010, 2:56 p.m.

I second the brodie bikes clearance. I pick one up years ago that was outa date for cheap.

Aug. 11, 2010, 8:34 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've never really been a fan of Brodies. But maybe they deserve another look… I'll check out the link to the site and see what they've got.

On the other hand I've always been a fan of the Chameleon. A little on the expensive side for me right now but a super nice ride for sure.

Thanks again