Household content insurance which covers bikes? (Merged multiple threads into this)

July 1, 2011, 10:09 a.m.

Bcaa is a rip

I'm in the process of getting quotes for my insurance, and quite the contrary, they're the org to beat at this point.

There are so many variables that affect one's insurance that the only true way to find the best price is get as many similarly scheduled quotes as possible.

BCAA was the best bet for us for rental insurance the past two years, as the years go on they also give greater discounts. Next year we'll be buying a place and then I'll be getting quotes from all over.

Seeing what happened to Shirk and hearing that they had a great experience from Cooperators definitely makes me want to look at them. I'm in the skeptical of insurance companies camp.

Aug. 16, 2011, 6:37 p.m.

Hey everyone,

I know this has been brought up a bunch of times, but I wanted to be sure to get some up to date info and I wasn't getting quite what I was looking for while searching. I'm shopping around for home insurance (my wife and i just bought a place in north van :clap:) and wanted to see what everybody else out there has. While good home insurance is, of course, very important, I also need to be sure that my bikes are safe and will need to get additional coverage, which is why I've posted this under gear (mods, feel free to move if you feel the need).

Most companies that I'm aware of charge anywhere from $7-9 per hundred on a bike. Needing to insure my good bike to over $4000, this works out to $350+, depending on where I go. This seems pretty high, to me, so I thought I'd check with everyone and see what insurance companies they've gone with, what they pay (specifically for bikes, but also total), and what they think of the service (any claims filed, easy to deal with, etc.).

The one that came up in searching that I was a little curious about is TD Meloche Monnex. It's fairly cheap and seems to cover two bikes up to $6000 each with no additional fee. This seems too good to be true and makes me wonder if is. Anybody using this? Thoughts?

Any and all feedback and comments are appreciated.

thanks,
-Scott

There's no place like fromme

Aug. 16, 2011, 9:11 p.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=142958

We went with TD MelocheMonnex. Very competitive rates and up to 6K per bike by default.

Aug. 16, 2011, 9:37 p.m.

Cam you should solicit these insurance companies/crooks for some advertising revenue…

Aug. 17, 2011, 5:48 p.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=142958

We went with TD MelocheMonnex. Very competitive rates and up to 6K per bike by default.

Ditto

Aug. 17, 2011, 8:21 p.m.

Hmm just did the onlne quote dealio thing at TD it says bikes limited to $1500??? Or is everyone a high roller and getting the "Platinum Pluss" package?

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Aug. 17, 2011, 11:37 p.m.

You have to go for the more expensive package to get the $6000 coverage. But once i added in all the stuff needed for my house, and the bikes, the "more expensive" package came out as a really good deal compared to other providers.

Aug. 18, 2011, 10:03 a.m.

You have to go for the more expensive package to get the $6000 coverage. But once i added in all the stuff needed for my house, and the bikes, the "more expensive" package came out as a really good deal compared to other providers.

Yeah I just got of the phone with them.

This deal works out to be $494 :damn: cheaper a year than I am paying now for better coverage!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Feb. 26, 2013, 5:52 p.m.

So I've almost come to the end of my (1st…) Vancouver bike theft experience, hopefully picking my recovered, repaired and refurbished Pitch up from Dizzy's this week.

If I want to ride it during the week at all though, I will probably have to think about locking it in the same building it was stolen from last time, and even though I should now have access to a locked bike room, I still want it insured.

Who's good for bike insurance, specifically theft from outside the home? I looked at TD but they only seemed to cover up to $500 which isn't much good! (considering the deductable is… $500).

I know in the UK Marks and Spencers were the place to go.

Thanks

:scotland:

Feb. 26, 2013, 6:12 p.m.

Maybe try the "search" button. Much discussed topic.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 26, 2013, 6:56 p.m.

Tried that, got ten pages in and didn't find anything relevant.

Maybe most people on here who want to insure their bike also want to insure their home.

Feb. 26, 2013, 7:34 p.m.

So I've almost come to the end of my (1st…) Vancouver bike theft experience, hopefully picking my recovered, repaired and refurbished Pitch up from Dizzy's this week.

If I want to ride it during the week at all though, I will probably have to think about locking it in the same building it was stolen from last time, and even though I should now have access to a locked bike room, I still want it insured.

Who's good for bike insurance, specifically theft from outside the home? I looked at TD but they only seemed to cover up to $500 which isn't much good! (considering the deductable is… $500).

I know in the UK Marks and Spencers were the place to go.

Thanks

Weird TD meloche told me I am covered for 5k per bike even if it is stolen off the back of my car.

Feb. 26, 2013, 7:36 p.m.

Really? Maybe I'll got back and play with the quote generator, I didn't investigate the 'platinum' level as I just assumed it would be too expensive.

Feb. 26, 2013, 8:04 p.m.

Really? Maybe I'll got back and play with the quote generator, I didn't investigate the 'platinum' level as I just assumed it would be too expensive.

I live in a 850 square foot Condo and I have the Plat version and it is $102 a year and that includes all of my things and covers my Gf as well. They charged an extra $10 for her. If you call them tell them where you went to school and they have alumi discounts for almost everywhere. Not sure what the cost would be with out the discount.

Feb. 26, 2013, 8:12 p.m.

I'm also with TD Meloche-Monnex on Platinum (and an alumni plan). About $300/year for all possessions (total of $100k or something) including bikes up to $6k. Well and truly worthwhile. Had my bike stolen last year and they were great to deal with.