Carbon Wagon Wheels

June 16, 2014, 12:16 p.m.

they do mention that 3k/12k reduce chances of layers delamming when the spoke holes are drilled, but I would hope that they'd catch any delams in final QC.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 6, 2014, 10 p.m.

Just threw the rubber on the cheap chinese hookless carbon rims

Went for a spin around the block, no Enve management was harmed in the process

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 11, 2014, 7:23 p.m.

Update.

Unable to mount the DH rims on wire bead Maxxis tires :(

Just went and rode the 29ers tonight. Rode blue tech, angry animals, angry pirate, O-Sin, BV, Lower Aline

What does that tell us? Nothing really, but so far it's working for this ginger!

July 22, 2014, 7:17 a.m.

I just ordered some of the DH layup Derby 29er rims. I recently saw a pair of the ultra-wide Ibis wheels and how they changed the shape of the 2.3 DHFs. It looks like tires that tend to a rounder profile work best. What tires have people been running on their wide rims?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 22, 2014, 1:19 p.m.

i have a few hard rides on some new derby 26 rims, and they are simply awesome. i know 26 is irrelevant, but i assume 29 will be the same story. i'm running 25 psi (down from my usual 35), have a bit more traction all around, better tire suspension, better pedalling and cornering (monstrous stiffness - so much so that they weren't apparently hard to build), no burping (with non-tubeless tires even, which mounted easily with a compressor), and the tire has a nice square-er shape. i've smashed the rim twice now on a sharp rock with zero damage - these are impacts that would have cracked an enve AM (i've broken 2 of them in the rear) or the original LB rims. ray from derby was excellent to deal with and made cross-border shopping much more pleasant (fast shipping, no duty/tax).

ordered some of the new LB 29er wide hookless for the wagon wheeler - hopefully they'll be nearly as good as the derby at 1/2 the price.

wide hookless carbon might be the answer after all, we'll see…

July 23, 2014, 7:24 a.m.

I have been using the LB 30mm wide hookless bead carbon rims since March, on my endurance racing single speed. They have been ridden in a variety of terrain for over 1,000 km on early season training rides from Nanaimo and Campbell River, to Canmore and Jasper, and raced in several endurance races in the Rockies ranging from 5 to 8 hrs, and most recently with a solo ride at the 24 hrs of Adrenalin this past weekend. The result? I have not had even do one spoke tension adjustment. They have been banged hard off rocks and roots late in races and at night when fatigue prevents intelligent line choices. Not a mark on them. I hit rocks hard enough to tear a couple of rear tires but not a mark on the rims. What I noticed more than the reduced weigh was the increased steering precision from the stiffness. They are built up using 32 DT Super Comps and I've run only Maxxis Ikons, at 2.2 rear and the new 2.35 front at around 22 psi. The width dramatically increased the traction available from the IKONs compared to my old narrow rims, and makes both tires look a size bigger.

Can't say enough good things about these and am getting another set built for my Surface! Wide carbon is the way to go for 29ers.

July 23, 2014, 8:59 a.m.

i have a few hard rides on some new derby 26 rims, and they are simply awesome. i know 26 is irrelevant, but i assume 29 will be the same story. i'm running 25 psi (down from my usual 35), have a bit more traction all around, better tire suspension, better pedalling and cornering (monstrous stiffness - so much so that they weren't apparently hard to build), no burping (with non-tubeless tires even, which mounted easily with a compressor), and the tire has a nice square-er shape. i've smashed the rim twice now on a sharp rock with zero damage - these are impacts that would have cracked an enve AM (i've broken 2 of them in the rear) or the original LB rims. ray from derby was excellent to deal with and made cross-border shopping much more pleasant (fast shipping, no duty/tax).

ordered some of the new LB 29er wide hookless for the wagon wheeler - hopefully they'll be nearly as good as the derby at 1/2 the price.

wide hookless carbon might be the answer after all, we'll see…

Apparently LB makes the rims for Derby and Ibis. The wide hookless rims from LB are quite good. I've been bashing mine on the North Shores gnarliest and they are holding up great. Can't say that about the EXO's though.

:canada:

July 23, 2014, 9:09 a.m.

Apparently LB makes the rims for Derby and Ibis. The wide hookless rims from LB are quite good. I've been bashing mine on the North Shores gnarliest and they are holding up great. Can't say that about the EXO's though.

What tires have you been running? Did you notice a significant change in tire profile on the wide rims?

July 23, 2014, 9:38 a.m.

I'm thinking of getting another set of the LB rims now that I have beat up some 650B rims with no issues for a few months. :clap:

I hear some 40mm wide LB rims are in the works so I'll wait and see if they make them in larger sizes. I'd like a set for my 29+ bike. :idea:

July 23, 2014, 9:59 a.m.

I'm thinking of getting another set of the LB rims now that I have beat up some 650B rims with no issues for a few months. :clap:

I hear some 40mm wide LB rims are in the works so I'll wait and see if they make them in larger sizes. I'd like a set for my 29+ bike. :idea:

29+ aside, I wonder if 40mm is the current max width for current tire technology?

July 23, 2014, 10:14 a.m.

29+ aside, I wonder if 40mm is the current max width for current tire technology?

You have to figure that wide rims will dictate different tires at some point. If a tire is too flat topped it can handle funny. I had the Panaracer Spikes ages ago for muddy racing. Just awful on the front on anything approaching firm. Round profile tires are probably the best bet to use of wide rims right now. I may have to get a pair of those LB wheels. I don't know much about Novatec hubs but I do like Hope hubs. Or just get rims and build my own.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 23, 2014, 10:15 a.m.

I have a month on LB 29 35mm. I was going to wait until the honeymoon period was over to weigh in but it’s hilarious how stout they are. I’ve ridden them hard on all 3 NS mountains and they are as true as day 1. I also got to ride some Enve M70s in May/June (15-20 hrs or so) on the same bike. Honestly, the M70 surface material seemed a bit softer, resulting in a couple scratches. I was riding more Pemberton/Squamish with the M70s, so the difference could be due to terrain. I don’t think I have the skill to detect subtle differences across multiple changes to rubber and suspension setup, but the overall quality of the ride for both seemed similar, if not the same – fantastic!

In terms of rubber, I’ve run a bunch of different combinations of the HD/Racing Ralph 2.35/Minion DHR II/High Roller II. The width definitely squares up the rounder profiles by flaring up the side knobs. This was most noticeable on the DHRII and the Ralph. The DHRII has been an unbelievable all around tire for Lower Mainland summer conditions. Hard to know what’s contributing most to the increased stability - rim width/tire profile/lower pressure, but it feels good.

July 23, 2014, 10:29 a.m.

I may have to get a pair of those LB wheels. I don't know much about Novatec hubs but I do like Hope hubs. Or just get rims and build my own.

I suggest you go for it. Get the rims and build up the wheels yourself, or order the Pro2s and re-lace the wheels once you get them.

July 23, 2014, 11:31 a.m.

I wouldn't go wider than 35mm with my "normal" 2.35" - 2.4" rubber on my 650B bike. That seems to be a good width for my needs.

I'm only interested in the 40mm rims for a 3" tire.

July 23, 2014, 11:48 a.m.

I'm only interested in the 40mm rims for a 3" tire.

Gazz 3.0 is makin' a comeback! Arrow Racing 4 Life!