Carbon Wagon Wheels

May 26, 2014, 10:43 a.m.

Enve's for the win of course. With full Rapha kit! :smokey:

Srsly though. I have Easton Haven carbons on one bike (second owner, at least 3 full seasons old) and recently laced up some light-bicycle hookless 29AM rims for my hardtail. The LB rims built up great and feel a bit stiffer than the havens, which were a world stiffer than the flows they replaced. Both wheelsets have been awesome.
I do think regular use of a digital tire pressure gauge is key for carbon rims.

I think people would feel so much better about Chinese-made bike products if they were purchased through a north american business front with a clean website and a designer logo (both preferably created by mountain bikers).

May 26, 2014, 11:03 a.m.

I think people would feel so much better about Chinese-made bike products if they were purchased through a north american business front with a clean website and a designer logo (both preferably created by mountain bikers).

Haha so true.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 26, 2014, 12:12 p.m.

Enve's for the win of course. With full Rapha kit! :smokey:

Thats how I roll son!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 26, 2014, 12:16 p.m.

I do think regular use of a digital tire pressure gauge is key for carbon rims.

why?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 26, 2014, 1:39 p.m.

why?

Likely he believes most carbon rim failure is due to under-inflated tires.

FYI since I picked up a digital pressure gauge, road bike flats have decreased 100%. Also, on the tubeless mtn bike I notice pressure drops of ~10psi if I don't ride often.

May 26, 2014, 3:30 p.m.

why?

After switching to a proper accurate gauge, I realized I was way off relying on my floor pump. The former has proven consistent and accurate, while the latter is wildly unreliable. Setting up between 26 and 28 is easy peasy now. Best to get one with a pressure release, so you can inflate over, and then decrease to optimum. I've dinged in enough alloy rims, to want to protect my carbon hoops from such needless abuses.

May 26, 2014, 3:42 p.m.

Likely he believes most carbon rim failure is due to under-inflated tires.

FYI since I picked up a digital pressure gauge, road bike flats have decreased 100%. Also, on the tubeless mtn bike I notice pressure drops of ~10psi if I don't ride often.

Punkys got it. When I started using a gauge and passing it around on rides, all my buddies realized what they thought was 35psi was really ~20.

If you're not running enough pressure, you might get lucky, or you might put a flat spot on an aluminum rim…but a carbon rim might crack. My guess is the majority of cracked carbon rims are the result of too low pressure. Hookless is definitely going to help with this, and for what it's worth my hookless/tubeless experience so far has been trouble free.

On top of all that, I find I ride way more consistently and crash less often since starting to use the gauge every ride. Don't even remember flats. So yeah, I am pretty sold on the digital pressure gauge.

May 26, 2014, 7:46 p.m.

Lurker here as I've been debating on getting some LB wheels. When switching to a digital tire gauge, any suggestions based on user experience? I'm looking at these two based on the reviews.

SKS:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OMQK6Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722[HTML_REMOVED]pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1[HTML_REMOVED]pf_rd_t=201[HTML_REMOVED]pf_rd_i=B000UJ7FR2[HTML_REMOVED]pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER[HTML_REMOVED]pf_rd_r=10T7ZMBSECG7Q31PC2PS

Topeak:
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-60100005-D2-SmartGauge/dp/B00320MDO6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods[HTML_REMOVED]ie=UTF8[HTML_REMOVED]qid=1401158605[HTML_REMOVED]sr=1-1[HTML_REMOVED]keywords=Topeak+D2

May 28, 2014, 6:59 a.m.

I've been using the SKS (had a few of them now) and they're fine. Sometimes the gauge can be difficult to read in bright light, not a big problem.

I would DEFINITELY recommend getting one of those retractable lanyard things and attaching it to your pack. These have a tendency to go missing- especially since riding buddies like to check their pressure too.

May 28, 2014, 8:46 a.m.

I've been using the SKS (had a few of them now) and they're fine. Sometimes the gauge can be difficult to read in bright light, not a big problem.

I would DEFINITELY recommend getting one of those retractable lanyard things and attaching it to your pack. These have a tendency to go missing- especially since riding buddies like to check their pressure too.

I have the Topeak one and it works fine… actually, as it turns out all my floor pumps are pretty much bang on with the reading on the digital gauge.

May 28, 2014, 9:06 a.m.

anyone who's off on their psi readings by more than 50% might want to warranty their thumbs…

On top of all that, I find I ride way more consistently and crash less often since starting to use the gauge every ride. Don't even remember flats. So yeah, I am pretty sold on the digital pressure gauge.

this i don't get. are you saying that your floor pump was giving you incorrect readings, or inconsistent ones?

tire pressure is really important. if having X tire pressure is helping you ride more consistently and crash less often, couldn't you have simply got there by experimenting with what worked, even if you ended up thinking "huh, 45 psi seems to be my sweet spot"

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 28, 2014, 11:27 a.m.

^^^ this x 10.

if you mistake 20 psi for 35 with your bare hands then you need to squeeze more tires.
its not hard to be in the ball park. if you're hitting the rim, add more pressure. i like to vary pressure for terrain, along with adjusting suspension. fiddle, fiddle. makes a huge difference.

May 28, 2014, 11:47 a.m.

what Clark and Boom said….if you can't tell if you're over or under by just cruising or doing the squeeze, well, then…..yeah…

May 28, 2014, 11:55 a.m.

Digital fancy pants gauge?

How about $4 at C-Tire.

May 28, 2014, 12:18 p.m.

Steve Peat knows shit all about bikes or tires then I guess.

Topek gauge was ~$20, use it on bike tires, truck tires, and suspension.