Carbon Rim Lifespan

Aug. 16, 2016, 8:30 p.m.

I've been mounting tires on cheap Chinese rims with metal tire levers for years without issue.

Next wheel set I do regardless of rim material has a strong possibility of Onyx Racing hubs. I hear there is new lighter free hub bodies for both HG and XD

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 16, 2016, 9:49 p.m.

Holy shit, the Onyx hubs on the Nobl wheels at the Fiver World Series were the nicest bit of bling hardware I've seen so far. Infinite engagement was unreal, precision ground to micron tolerances or better.

Aug. 16, 2016, 9:57 p.m.

Holy shit, the Onyx hubs on the Nobl wheels at the Fiver World Series were the nicest bit of bling hardware I've seen so far. Infinite engagement was unreal, precision ground to micron tolerances or better.

Yeah, they looked really impressive.

Aug. 17, 2016, 7:54 a.m.

Any reason for choosing Onyx over Chris King? I have a couple of sets of CK hubs going on 10 years. Original bearings still smooth. Only boost will make me buy new :( Looks like the pricing is about the same.

I think you've got your answer!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 17, 2016, 8:27 a.m.

I think you've got your answer!

Id definitely have to give them a look if I were buying new. Im not sure I could ride without the angry bees after all these years though :)

Aug. 17, 2016, 11:24 a.m.

It appears that King is getting close to releasing CL mtn bike hubs.

Aug. 17, 2016, 10:14 p.m.

I used to like loud hubs, until I tried a silent one. All you hear are your tires.

Aug. 17, 2016, 11:15 p.m.

I used to like loud hubs, until I tried a silent one. All you hear are your tires.

I have loud Hope hubs, and all I hear is my stupid creaky fork.

Aug. 23, 2016, 9:28 p.m.

Craw

I talked to NOBL @Cworx. Said they'll have 20x110 front hubs up on their website soon. (Rude and Graves never had an issue running 15mm front axles with 28H hubs;))

I'll likely go with their hubs as a set of NOBLs are almost the same as an Onyx rear. And I was going black anyway. No Freeza rotors though :(

Aug. 24, 2016, 8:30 a.m.

Craw

I talked to NOBL @Cworx. Said they'll have 20x110 front hubs up on their website soon. (Rude and Graves never had an issue running 15mm front axles with 28H hubs;))

I'll likely go with their hubs as a set of NOBLs are almost the same as an Onyx rear. And I was going black anyway. No Freeza rotors though :(

That pros run a certain combination may be true. But I'm a heavier person with way way more leverage and I'm a hack.

Is it worth going to centerlock just to get those rotors? They do look cool. Centerlock does seem like a smarter system.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 24, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

Anyone out there running the same carbon rims on their AM/Enduro bike for more than 2-3 years? How far would you take them before selling them or relegating them to lighter duty?

2-3 years? Wow. 2-3 months is about the most I've got out of a set. In fact my front wheel lasted 2 weeks in Whistler last season.

I've never been a rim smasher before carbon came along, and since I've stopped using carbon wheels my DT's are still round [HTML_REMOVED] in one piece.

I ride a 160mm bike, that gets used for everything - trail riding, racing enduro [HTML_REMOVED] also DH.

My hit list includes; Easton, Enve, Derby, LB [HTML_REMOVED] Nextie.

Carbon wheels seriously don't work for me, and I'm not even convinced by the supposed benefits of being much stiffer. A nice aluminium wheelset rides better IMO.

I gave my wife my last warranty set of wheels. This happened yesterday funnily enough.

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

Aug. 24, 2016, 12:16 p.m.

the adhesive in the ews sticker totally dissolved the epoxy.

this is why i stick with aluminum. actually, the price is the real reason, but yeah.

Aug. 24, 2016, 12:31 p.m.

the adhesive in the ews sticker totally dissolved the epoxy.

this is why i stick with aluminum. actually, the price is the real reason, but yeah.

Man those EWS stickers do use some crazy adhesive, I've still got stickers on wheels from the first EWS in Whistler 4 years ago.

Aug. 24, 2016, 12:41 p.m.

That pros run a certain combination may be true. But I'm a heavier person with way way more leverage and I'm a hack.

Is it worth going to centerlock just to get those rotors? They do look cool. Centerlock does seem like a smarter system.

Yeah I figured that.

Cool Freeza rotors. And as a day walker I need all the temperature reducing devices I can get. 😂
I've heard various things now about the CL rotors. Both good. And not so good. My sample size is limited to three CL rotors on two 240s hubs with no issues. YMMV

DT has the EX511 27.5 on some euro sites now.

Aug. 24, 2016, 12:43 p.m.

Man those EWS stickers do use some crazy adhesive, I've still got stickers on wheels from the first EWS in Whistler 4 years ago.

Don't they just!

It took the paint off my fork 3 years ago! I just left all the others on from subsequent races I've done.

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.