Best Rolling XC tire

Feb. 12, 2007, 11:02 p.m.

What is your best rolling tire (least resistance) for riding technical XC?

I have found my best tire so far is the
Nokian NBX 2.2
Grippy Compound

However, it is lacking in knobs to bite and a little skittish. I need a confidence boost, at least for the front.

I was thinking of the Maxxis Crossmark Maxxis Crossmark

Suggestions?

:canada:

Feb. 13, 2007, 12:19 a.m.

Ritchy WCS 2.35 ZMax (the red ones!) 8)

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 13, 2007, 12:29 a.m.

What type of conditions?
Wet?
Dry?
Steep?
Rooty?
Loam?
Hard pack?

Need more info.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Feb. 13, 2007, 12:40 a.m.

I've Raced these....super fast...they drift around corners but very predictably so once you're used to them you're flying....

Michelin XC

Feb. 13, 2007, 6:38 a.m.

I like Continental Explorers 2.1, but they might not be available where you live.

Feb. 13, 2007, 7:16 a.m.

I know a lot of people still feel the hangover from Velociraptors, but the WTB 2.24 Mutanoraptor is awesome… They also make a 2.4

Kenda Small Block 8 ain't bad either, can get packed up in gummy mud (and surprisingly the Mutano's don't seem to…)

Feb. 13, 2007, 7:49 a.m.

I like Schwalbe tires in the front. I'm using a Little Albert right now, but have a Fat Albert as well for my wife's bike in the drier months.

They roll well and have a lot of grip - a lot of trials riders use these tires.

Feb. 13, 2007, 8:40 a.m.

2.2 specialized fast trak - F
2.1 kenda small block 8 - R

2.1 WTB Exiwolf - F
1.9 WTB Exiwolf - R

others:
Maxxis Larsen TT, Maxxis Crossmark

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

Feb. 13, 2007, 8:41 a.m.

I have a set of CrossMarks. They're fast rolling but wouldn't be my first choice for technical (rooty, wet, loose) conditions. I thought they were better in hardpack than loose (sandy). Expensive too.

Nobody's mentioned the Nevegal? 2.1 UST in the back with a Blue Groove up front? That combo usually sits at or near the top of most xc tire shootouts.

"It's, like, so much fun."

Feb. 13, 2007, 8:44 a.m.

Nobody's mentioned the Nevegal? 2.1 UST with a Blue Groove up front? That combo usually sits at or near the top of most xc tire shootouts.

yessir, you are right. my question, is, though. are 2.1 nevegals the same size as a 2.1 small block 8? (small block 8s roll real good and hook up well in dry, but are really more like a 1.9 on crossmax wheels)

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

Feb. 13, 2007, 10 a.m.

I like Maxxis Larsen TT when it's not muddy. I've heard good things about the DTC Nevegals.

Feb. 13, 2007, 10:13 a.m.

What type of conditions?
Wet?
Dry?
Steep?
Rooty?
Loam?
Hard pack?

Need more info.

I'd say wet, steep and rooty. If it can handle those , it should be able to handle the drier hardpack stuff.
I think of the first part of the Powerhouse Plunge. rooty, wet,

I like Schwalbe tires in the front. I'm using a Little Albert right now, but have a Fat Albert as well for my wife's bike in the drier months.

They roll well and have a lot of grip - a lot of trials riders use these tires.

I have hear good things about the Alberts
Also the Racing Ralph's for rollability.
I've run the Jimmy Lights and they seem to be too low a volume tire and not sticky enough.

Nobody's mentioned the Nevegal? 2.1 UST in the back with a Blue Groove up front? That combo usually sits at or near the top of most xc tire shootouts.

I have the 2.35 Stik-e. sweet for confidence. They don't roll very well though.
Coasting down a paved hill. I've found some tires stick to the road like glue and suction cups( slowing the bike down), where others keep the bike accelerating.

Feb. 13, 2007, 10:17 a.m.

I like Maxxis Larsen TT when it's not muddy. I've heard good things about the DTC Nevegals.

The Larsen's look good. I've had a few riders say they will never use them again, even offered me their "#%$@ tires".

Most of my riding, racing always ends up in some mud at some time…

I've used the Mythos F [HTML_REMOVED] R as my standby tire, if it was just a little more grippier and more rollable….

Feb. 13, 2007, 10:20 a.m.

I have hear good things about the Alberts
Also the Racing Ralph's for rollability.
I've run the Jimmy Lights and they seem to be too low a volume tire and not sticky enough.

The Ralphs apparently roll faster, but the Alberts do not have an aggressive tread pattern, I pump mine to 40+psi and the roll great. Super light and quite stick on the roots. I never heard of them until a trials friend gave me a couple to try out - I'm sold now. Schwalbe's site lists all their tires and grip/roll resistance for comparison.

Feb. 13, 2007, 10:32 a.m.

Hhahhahah I've never ridden a spookier tire than the Larsens!

About the only nice thing I can say about them is they, uuuhh, "keep you on your toes"!

Another combo I like is

F: WTB Moto Raptor 2.4
R: WTB Exiwolf 2.1

I was super leery of them, but had a tire blowout 1/2 hour before the start of the 04 Test… Wound up running them for the full season, and the next. Wicked. Used Stans with them.