ahhh can't take it. when is the 7" slider comin?

July 31, 2003, 9:55 p.m.

there is a threshold where it breaks away. The pedal bob is far less than small rocks pumping up.

A pedalable fork allows you to put more energy to the back end. I think it belongs on a race fork like the Dorado, but I think the Slider should get a beefed TPC. I would prefer that.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

July 31, 2003, 10:08 p.m.

I know the threshhold is the same thing as stiction, stiction bad. it works on the rear shock because what you sacrifice in small bumps, you gain in pedaling… however I like good old reliable coil/oil without all that fancy shiznit…

what the world is calling for is a 7.5" conventional downhill fork with downsized moto-valving… i know avalanche was thinking about doing this but it's not on the website anymore… I don't want XC technology in my fork, after seeing some of these NCS DH courses you want the bike that can take the hits the best it possibly can, I'd like to see an actual figure as to how much energy you lose to fork pedal bob.

However I guess someone is trying to downsize (showa???) valves to be stuffed in to a boxxer, I think that would be pretty cool, throw some enduro seals on and you're rockin'.

Here's my question: how can pro-pedaling technology outperform pure shock absorbing technology? and what do you want?

Banshee Bikes

Disobey

July 31, 2003, 10:32 p.m.

I think you are confusing this with low-speed compression valving.

At low speed intervals (i.e. pedaling), the fork/shock has firmer compression.

High speed compression would be a different circuit, this is what handles bumps (small or large).

Pro-Pedal, Manitou SPV, Progressive all have low speed compression and high speed compression. Unless you are riding down stairs, massively loading the fork, at a crawling pace, the rear will function as a normal shock. It'll pedal better and still absorb everything thrown at it.

Aug. 1, 2003, 2:53 a.m.

would this spv keep the fork from diving into it's travel when you're starting to roll in to a steep steep hill. Does that make sense?

me fail english… that's unpossible.
Ralphy.

Aug. 1, 2003, 7:44 a.m.

BAC
what i'm saying is there's always a disadvantage with the pedaling technology, because you will sacrifice your small hit sensitivity with the threshold, I don't think forks need any threshold before they start working. (I wonder if i understand the SPV technology correctly)

Banshee Bikes

Disobey

Aug. 1, 2003, 8:43 a.m.

How, i think u dont understand SPV forks fully…

the modern tech. can tell teh difference between teh fork moving down due to rider input, versus the fork moving up due to trail movement…

i dont think the SPV fork will suffer "small bump" performance at all…

FOX already has a SC fork that does that very thing…..and Manitou shouldn't be any different…

Aug. 1, 2003, 8:46 a.m.

grrr 7" is to much…

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Aug. 1, 2003, 8:56 a.m.

Originally posted by Rosscofat
grrr 7" is to much…

yeah for a HT it is….

:D

but not for a real bike…..

Team BIGHIT: get on it…

:thepimp:

Aug. 1, 2003, 9:08 a.m.

Originally posted by How
However I guess someone is trying to downsize (showa???) valves to be stuffed in to a boxxer, I think that would be pretty cool, throw some enduro seals on and you're rockin'.

I hear that is exactly what Romic is doing with their BoXXer upgrade kits. Unfortunately they will not be out for some time. When they are though I am all over that.

Aug. 1, 2003, 1:12 p.m.

the 7" Slider is available for order on jensonUSA but they don't get'em till Aug. 20th which is gay and they're 750 US which seems a little over priced but…here's the link http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=17139

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Aug. 1, 2003, 4:55 p.m.

The 2004 Sherman Slider Plus is able to offer extra long travel thanks to its 1.5" oversize steerer and triple-clamp design

WTF!? so it's a 1.5"!?!?!?!?! wont fit on my bike. mother fuck…it better come in 1-1/8" as well.

Aug. 1, 2003, 6:13 p.m.

Originally posted by IFO
**How, i think u dont understand SPV forks fully…

the modern tech. can tell teh difference between teh fork moving down due to rider input, versus the fork moving up due to trail movement…

i dont think the SPV fork will suffer "small bump" performance at all…

FOX already has a SC fork that does that very thing…..and Manitou shouldn't be any different… **

I rode an FX 100 around a bit on my buddy Sean's Superlight (literally a Superlight, Full Suspension and loaded at 24.5 pounds). It's sexy. Takes a lot of time to get used to.

FOX's setup is an inertia valve. Not too similar to the SPV. But that's not the point.

The point is that you are absolutely correct. Pedaling efficiency does not effect overall fork performance whatsoever.

Low Speed compression has no correlation to small-bump performance. Pedal inputs are handled by low-speed compression. Any kind of wheel movement is handled by high speed compression. The lowspeed compression has no effect on the high speed compression.

Technology in forks is insane.

I think SPV wouldn't hurt my riding style (can't really hurt anyone's I suppose), but I am curious how much it would help it. Might be nice to be able to have a decent pedaling fork.

Aug. 1, 2003, 6:15 p.m.

Originally posted by blinded
general consensus is that its a typo

Most definately a typo.

Extralong travel? I was unaware that 7" was extra long travel. 12" is extra long travel and that is still a fork running a 1.125 head tube.

I believe that caption was meant for the Breakout Plus.

Aug. 1, 2003, 7:45 p.m.

the jenson specs are way of the mark…….no there will not be a 1.5 steer tube avail for the slider…….there will be no wind down in any of the shermans it is only available in some black,axle and minute forks

[email protected]

Aug. 3, 2003, 10:03 p.m.

if you are reefing your bars on a sprint and using up 3-4" of travel from sprinting, your technique needs a bit of work. SPV works w/ rear designs because it reduces/eliminates the effects caused by the motion of pedaling, assuming that you have somewhat decent pedaling technique. you can by all means still bob the rear suspension by doing some funky inefficient pedaling motions.

what im saying is that SPV in forks cannot discern the difference between small bumps, and rider induced bobbing-so small bump sensitivity IS lost. it works in rear shocks, because the drivetrain induced and bump induced suspension action clearly works in different ways. pedalling induced forces are very small, relatively speaking, and as a result, this is where SPV-type shocks shine.