2014 fox 36 talas RC2 160mm reviews?

April 5, 2014, 11:03 p.m.

You now have to run almost double the air pressure to get a similar fork feel, so I have about 155 psi in it for my 200+ lbs. I haven't actually ridden it yet, so may have to adjust accordingly.

You might need more. At 180lbs, I use 160psi.

April 8, 2014, 6:01 a.m.

Cool, I have the same 2011 fork and this sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. I have to send the thing in for new bushings in anyway.

You retrofitted the new TALAS 5 spring? 820-01-361-KIT ?

Yes, this is the part number for the new cartridge.

You might need more. At 180lbs, I use 160psi.

You are correct sir! I needed to pump it up to about 170 psi +/- on the trail to get the amount of sag I'm used to, but I'm still fine-tuning. It felt a little bit harsh with this much air in it, so I think I need to play around some more. I suspect the smaller air volume and higher pressure make it a more progressive fork, but the initial travel is still more supple than the previous version so it almost feels too soft at the recommended pressures. But other than the slight harshness on some of the bigger hits, and the fact that I only ran it in the lower travel setting on mellow XC trails for the day it's feeling not bad. I will hopefully get out more during the coming week(s) and get a chance to properly adjust everything and test it in the longer travel setting.

April 8, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

ordered a 2015

April 8, 2014, 5:01 p.m.

170psi in a fork seems a wee bit retarded.

April 8, 2014, 5:05 p.m.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Although my BOS shock runs higher than average psi and it is amazingly supple in initial stroke. Some suspension trickery going on here.

April 8, 2014, 5:12 p.m.

That does sound like way too much pressure. I was running 55 or so in my older Talas 36 but I am only 142 pounds. Converted it to float and I am running about the same. I gather the new Talas is a lot different then?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

April 8, 2014, 5:28 p.m.

I thought something was strange, but it makes sense. The new air cartridges are very small thus need more psi.

April 8, 2014, 6:46 p.m.

That does sound like way too much pressure. I was running 55 or so in my older Talas 36 but I am only 142 pounds. Converted it to float and I am running about the same. I gather the new Talas is a lot different then?

It's a totally redesigned Talas cartridge in the fifth iteration. A new smaller volume air spring which requires a whole lot more pressure, and a hydraulic travel-adjust function. This, in theory, should allow for the exact same spring characteristics in both the long and short travel modes as it is no longer two separate air chambers divided by seals for the travel adjust. I believe it's down to one air seal instead of three separate ones which is a big factor in reducing the stiction.

And rear shocks generally operate at 150-250 psi, so why not forks if it feels good and works?

April 8, 2014, 6:59 p.m.

I'll let the beta testers figure out of the new FOX stuff is worth the money…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 21, 2014, 12:34 a.m.

The new TALAS cartridges use a smaller diameter piston than the old ones, hence the need for higher pressures. Whether a system requires higher or lower pressures isn't really a big deal in terms of suspension performance, it's simply a characteristic of the spring geometry itself.

The old TALAS systems used a mechanism that changed the pressure equalisation point between positive and negative chambers in order to adjust the soft-topout point of the fork (same thing the Rockshox DPA system does). This requires three sliding seals, as well as a couple of dozen (yes literally) other static seals and check valves. It was a complex system that was also rather finnicky to fix if anything went wrong - got better with each generation but I don't think many suspension service centres around the world ever celebrated when they heard a customer say "Hey guys, I have a problem with my TALAS cartridge…" :)

The new TALAS spring system is equivalent to having a Float system that you can extend or shorten the length of. The negative spring system is the same as the Floats, and the way it adjusts travel is to effectively lengthen or shorten the length of its outer tube (which in Float forks would be the stanchion itself, in TALAS forks it's a separate tube).

There is no question that it is a superior performer to the older system, but as the forks haven't been on the market all that long yet we'll have to wait and see how reliability goes - hopefully better than the older TALAS. It has less moving parts, given that the travel adjust mechanism is now quasi-static so it's reasonable to be optimistic. The only problem with waiting to see what reliability is like in the bike industry, is that by the time we find out, there'll be something newer and better on the market anyway!

Steve

VorsprungSuspension.com
facebook.com/VorsprungSuspension
TLA Compression System - Fox 34 CTD Upgrade Kits