Anyone have insider info about Cypress Bike Park?

May 7, 2010, 12:10 p.m.

Build a decent 4x or dual slalom track and you could get spectators eating and drinking every week too.

I like this idea a lot. +1

Bicycles!

May 7, 2010, 1:20 p.m.

the only time there was a lineup was closing day, and even then it was barely 5 minutes

miss you

May 10, 2010, 9:26 a.m.

Ya, if this is done right there may even be hope for a return of the world cup. you could easily facilitate a full stop ( xc, dh,4x ) for the the WC up there. It would be a far better option than when it was held at grouse access wise. We are due! Say, hold it the week before or after crankworxs.

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

May 11, 2010, 2:35 a.m.

With the growth of the sport since Cypress MTBP closed, opening it again would be huge. Done right with a couple of the ideas above it could be amazing. Count me in for a pass if/when it opens. Vancouver needs this.

May 26, 2010, 5:42 p.m.

I rode it a couple of times the year it was open and the difference from the first ride to the second ride was huge. There was a lot of progress up there and couldn't imagine what it could be after a couple of more seasons. Hopefully they will offer a seasons pass if they open it again but I'd go a couple of times regardless. I'll never forget riding down and almost running into a dear and the rear wheel of a borrowed Big Hit falling off as we loaded it into IFOs truck at the end of the day - timing is everything

May 26, 2010, 5:45 p.m.

LOL Noodles…

good times. that was hilarious.. if not a little scary to stop and think about how ugly it could have been

May 26, 2010, 6:30 p.m.

Hey Noodles…

This Cypress story sounds good, can't wait to hear this one. Mabe a new thread is needed titled ( CBP stories ).

Anyways here[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s hoping for next year. Come on Cypress the community has spoken.

May 26, 2010, 6:37 p.m.

The anti-mtn. bikers would love the CBP to re-open. That would give them more ammunition to shut down all the other trails at Cypes.

Thread killer

May 26, 2010, 8:35 p.m.

LOL Noodles…

good times. that was hilarious.. if not a little scary to stop and think about how ugly it could have been

Your not kidding. Remember how hard I was trying, as pathetic as it was, to hop that bridge all day and what would have happened if the wheel fell off. My pain would have been one thing but Gord's wrath could have been worse when he came back from Japan all pyshc'd to ride.
:hurt:

May 26, 2010, 10:51 p.m.

I spoke with some people 'in the loop' and they will not be opening a park (period). The park was a money loser and that it is not a sound business decision to open it at all. The olympics or whistler have nothing to do with this.

May 26, 2010, 11:01 p.m.

I spoke with some people 'in the loop' and they will not be opening a park (period). The park was a money loser and that it is not a sound business decision to open it at all. The olympics or whistler have nothing to do with this.

Yes,everyone knows that a venture like this always generates positive bankrolls in its inaugural operating year….start up costs be damned!!! we want profit now.

Your people need new loops.

Pastor of Muppets

May 27, 2010, 8:53 a.m.

with a mindset like that, every business is a bad idea then..

hopefully your info is wrong..

im sure when whistler started its idea of a bikepark alot of "business" people would have thought it was a moneyloser/bad idea after teh first year..

May 27, 2010, 9:39 a.m.

I agree, of course the first few seasons are expensive. They had no trail structure at all, and had to buy a fleet of bikes as well as set up the bike rental tent, shop etc. But it is narrow minded to not see that after a few seasons all that stuff is basically free and therefore profit making. Plus, bike parks were not as popular as they are now, the Local Vancouver bike community wants the park back.

Besides ( after the infastructure and insurance ) what are the costs? a few lifties, a few rock bitches and the cost of running the chair lift. The mountain is just sitting there.

Plus, the bike park brings people to the lodge,(Food Drinks, bike repairs) - its crazy to say it is a money loser in the long run.

I have my first aid training and would work as Bike patrol for free on weekends

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

May 27, 2010, 10:07 a.m.

Can't really compare whistler and cypress.

Whistler has a group of people who live there year round that really wanted to see it happen and they had the means to do so.

Cypress doesn't have these people around in the summer to make it happen.

Cypress, like Grouse now, would make a lot more money with bus tours with WAY less risk and infrastructure.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

May 27, 2010, 10:48 a.m.

sounds like Cypress has all the balls on a eunich. fail.

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?