Anyone have insider info about Cypress Bike Park?

March 4, 2010, 3:44 p.m.

AHHAHAA, Fail to those who would begin to beleive the two mountains "traded" for Olympic events. However, I heard that Sochi traded the crappy weather to Vancouver for a russian loss/canadian win in hockey.

March 4, 2010, 4:01 p.m.

I heard Whislter strong armed them into shutting it down for good in exchange for Olympic events there…

No way. Dale Begg-Smith was the culprit.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 4, 2010, 5:40 p.m.

from closing day of the bike park to opening day the next season, Whistler ceases to exist for me

:lol: Same here!

March 5, 2010, 10:48 a.m.

Have any of you ever rode cypress bike park!

It wasn't that good… We have far better free trails on 3 different mountains if you hadn't noticed.

Just my 2 sense

March 5, 2010, 11:06 a.m.

Have any of you ever rode cypress bike park!

It wasn't that good… We have far better free trails on 3 different mountains if you hadn't noticed.

Just my 2 sense

Yes I did and it was pretty fun. For a bike park that only had one season to develop trails and the season was super wet making trail building and maintenance very challenging, I think Digger and crew did a pretty damn good job.

Early in the season there wasn't much, but by end of that one season of operation there were a few fun options. Maybe not enough to keep you interested for a full 8-hour day, but it was great fun (and cheap) to go up for maybe 3 hours and finish up with a run down the rest of Cyps. It was easy to go up with a friend, leave my car parked @ the works yard and go the rest of the way up in the other truck.

I rode Whiz the first season they opened the bike park and I'd say Cyps had more to offer after season 1 than Whiz did.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 5, 2010, 5:58 p.m.

So I was talking to someone that had ridden the Cypress Bike Park when it was open and said they never scanned lift tickets, was this true(to you that rode it)? Apparently the lifty told him he was a fool for paying due to some loop-hole that didn't allow cypress to charge/deny someone access to the bike park chairlift(maybe because it's a provincial park)? I was just skeptical about this and was wondering if you guys could enlighten me or tell me he was a mad-man.

nobody is this dumb.

March 5, 2010, 6:11 p.m.

Apparently the lifty told him he was a fool for paying due

I would think calling people fools for helping to pay his wages was a bit of a foolish move on the lify's part.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

March 5, 2010, 6:52 p.m.

EXACTLY…

Whistler in its infancy was no were near what its like today. Cypress's park was quite good for what they had to work with in a single season.

p.s. the sea salt fries in the restuarant were awesome to.. i miss those..

Yes I did and it was pretty fun. For a bike park that only had one season to develop trails and the season was super wet making trail building and maintenance very challenging, I think Digger and crew did a pretty damn good job.

Early in the season there wasn't much, but by end of that one season of operation there were a few fun options. Maybe not enough to keep you interested for a full 8-hour day, but it was great fun (and cheap) to go up for maybe 3 hours and finish up with a run down the rest of Cyps. It was easy to go up with a friend, leave my car parked @ the works yard and go the rest of the way up in the other truck.

I rode Whiz the first season they opened the bike park and I'd say Cyps had more to offer after season 1 than Whiz did.

Kn.

March 5, 2010, 6:53 p.m.

i remember there being a lift attendent at the chair lift.

pretty sure he/she looked at your pass.

March 6, 2010, 5:24 a.m.

don't they use a contactless access system at lifts in canada?

March 7, 2010, 8:19 a.m.

don't they use a contactless access system at lifts in canada?

Nope.

March 7, 2010, 12:02 p.m.

this explains this archaic liftpass holder on my sombrio short.

March 8, 2010, 12:55 p.m.

I heard Whislter strong armed them into shutting it down for good in exchange for Olympic events there…

That's a good one, get the rumour mill churning.

Besides, the agreement would be null and void once Intrawest is out of business and Whistler/Blackcomb is sold off. :lol:

March 8, 2010, 6:59 p.m.

Yeah, I totally agree that it wasn't that progressive but for a first year bike park it was awesome. Those wallrides all over were amazing and it had alot of potential.

May 5, 2010, 1:39 p.m.

anyone know if this is happening for 2011?