Specialized for 2011 - Enduro and Stumpy EVO

Aug. 18, 2010, 10:58 p.m.

The EVO bikes are basically what they would only produce if the rest of the world had trails like the lower mainland.

Aug. 19, 2010, 4:27 a.m.

Aluminum 1x10 29er. I am all over that.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 19, 2010, 7:58 a.m.

Oh, I understand the concept. I realize they're trying to create like the STI of bicycles or whatever. I just think it's kind of ironic that they're trying to sell more shit by basically admitting that their off the shelf bikes aren't quite up to what the "hardcore rider" requires. It's a novel concept in price escalation.

Aug. 19, 2010, 9:47 a.m.

But then the weight weenies wouldn't want to buy the bike that the hardcore guys like :dizzy:

Aug. 19, 2010, 10:24 a.m.

But then the weight weenies wouldn't want to buy the bike that the hardcore guys like :dizzy:

good point wayne - they should go the starbucks route, just go all in and create their own marketing categories: two styles of each bike, hardcore and weightweenie. screw the stock/floor model; let the folks who want those downgrade their bikes as needed

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 19, 2010, 3:40 p.m.

They're just ahead of the game as usual. I bet Trek bring a similar Remedy version of the Stumpy Evo in the near future.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Aug. 19, 2010, 4:04 p.m.

They're just ahead of the game as usual. I bet Trek bring a similar Remedy version of the Stumpy Evo in the near future.

i think they already did that (at least wrt to the increased travel): the 2008/9 rememdy

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 19, 2010, 5:04 p.m.

i think they already did that (at least wrt to the increased travel): the 2008/9 rememdy

Yep except they forgot to slacken the head angle, lower the BB, fit a dual ring and guide, adjustable post, larger rotors, wider rims/tires, wider bars and short stem.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Aug. 19, 2010, 5:42 p.m.

Those EVO bikes do look great, but it seems a bit much to have that many models out at one time. I'm surprised it works out for them fiscally. Car companies have certainly benefited from streamlining rather than expanding their model lineups (whole different industry, of course).

Aug. 30, 2010, 12:39 a.m.

I'll assume Stumpy's are EXTREMELY adept at clearing any stumps on a trail, as that's what the design was solely based around, but would one have to back down from the occasional honest 7' drop or gap jump whilst riding one?

Aug. 30, 2010, 7:49 a.m.

Those EVO bikes do look great, but it seems a bit much to have that many models out at one time. I'm surprised it works out for them fiscally. Car companies have certainly benefited from streamlining rather than expanding their model lineups (whole different industry, of course).

Apparently Specialized is transitioning to a program where they will be updating models every two years instead of every year (other then supplier driven component updates presumably).

I imagine this frees up a lot of capital to offer an additional colour way/spec choice on a couple of bikes.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Aug. 30, 2010, 9:36 a.m.

Apparently Specialized is transitioning to a program where they will be updating models every two years instead of every year (other then supplier driven component updates presumably).

I imagine this frees up a lot of capital to offer an additional colour way/spec choice on a couple of bikes.

-D

This is a good thing. Changing colours, models and specs just because the calendar changes is not great for business.

Aug. 30, 2010, 9:50 a.m.

I'll assume Stumpy's are EXTREMELY adept at clearing any stumps on a trail, as that's what the design was solely based around, but would one have to back down from the occasional honest 7' drop or gap jump whilst riding one?

it could totally handle it, but you'd just have to understand the consequences of failure and be willing to live with that. casing a 15' gap on a stumpy would probably have a worse end result for your bike than if you were riding a demo 8.

"It's, like, so much fun."

Sept. 4, 2010, 3:25 p.m.

I notice the article now states 180mm for the Enduro Evo fork, not 170mm.