Digger is back and building again...

Feb. 15, 2010, 10:34 p.m.

About the best news I've heard on the Shore since Cypress opened a bike park…and then closed it.

Todd's been doing a huge amount of work on Ladies Only. Check out the progress he's been making here...

Feb. 15, 2010, 10:44 p.m.

In the software world, many people make apps and provide a PayPal account should anyone wish to donate $$$ if they find the app useful.

Don't think we could make him rich, but at the very least he should never have to pay for beer with his own money… perhaps you could float the idea by him.

Feb. 15, 2010, 11:07 p.m.

Great article and nice to give recognition where it is due.

I think most people, riders, hikers and dog walkers would prefer to natural trails rather then gravel paths in the forest.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 15, 2010, 11:12 p.m.

you know theres always been 1 person in my mind who is both fundamental and one of the true pioneers of what NS riding is and was..

that man is Digger..

but for some reason i dont think he's ever truely been given the due respect for his work..

if ever this sport has a man who both needs and deserves a gala-dinner and evening of celebration it is Todd Fiander…

i've often wondered what good it would do for the sport as a whole and for Digger himself to have such a evening.

thoughts ???

i know he doesnt like the limelight, but what a excellent oportunity to have a roast with pro's speaking out on his history…

p.s. keep making those films Digger we luv ya..

Feb. 16, 2010, 12:36 a.m.

Some nice work there digger!

Feb. 16, 2010, 3:44 a.m.

great stuff! an inspiration to trail builders everywhere. keep on building!

Feb. 16, 2010, 6:41 a.m.

mad props.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 16, 2010, 7:39 a.m.

I have ridden ladies a couple of times in the past couple of weeks and he has taken that trail from awesome to amazing , I have never seen any building like diggers , he is the man.

Feb. 16, 2010, 8:12 a.m.

The pictures say more than a thousand words - incredible and passionate and creative and whatnot. :) You do not have to build mad stunts to show your passion and creativity as a trailbuilder, much more difficult task such as drainage are were it is at (at least for me, no bridges and stuff, just armoring and drainage). Sweet….now I only need the snow to thaw.

As sharon and the others put it, recognition where it is due!

A toast from the cold and snowy Tchermany - :beer: galore.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 16, 2010, 8:42 a.m.

There should be an annual award event to honor the hard work of our dedicated trail builders across the province. You could call it the Digger award. I can hear the MC in my head "and the lifetime achievement award goes to… Todd"

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Feb. 16, 2010, 8:46 a.m.

Digger is awesome. The last time we ran into him, it was at the Ladies/Skull intersection a couple of months ago, and it was foggy and we could smell smoke. We joked that it was him, then out of the mist and hail, he wanders up, two buckets of gold wearing shorts on a frigid day. We mentioned we were going to hit up lower Ladies, and he got excited. When we got down there, it was hailing hard, and he was waiting for us with his video camera to film us riding the trail in the hail. It was so sketchy, but equally awesome. Pretty memorable experience.

Too bad about the Bart's Bridge reno. I really liked the old line, it was about 50/50 on me getting through it, and that was what made it fun.

Feb. 16, 2010, 11:27 a.m.

Nice to know his real name finally.

Todd is definitely the unsung hero of the North Shore mtbing scene.

What boggles my mind is that after all this time the DNV has not sought an alliance with Digger. Trails are funded with public money in so many parts of the province, yet here in the cradle of mountain biking, we still have to struggle for our trails, and folks like digger and members of the nsmba put in so much effort without compensation or much thanks.

IMO, the challenge we need to undertake as shore riders is to lobby the DNV to change it's perception of mountain biking in it's jurisdiction.

If Alan and Sharon can build a partnership with the rogers creek people, then there is no reason why we can't bridge a gap with the DNV. When I remember the looks on the faces of the rogers creek committee when they saw the raised hands of all the bikers that had turned out to the open house in June/07, I don't this goal is at all unattainable.

Capilano U has a trail operation certificate. Imagine if they hired a few bodies out of the program and added Digger as a trail consultant. A set up like this would take a lot of pressure off the nsmba and help make the trails in NV consistently awesome.

Thoughts?

Feb. 16, 2010, 11:48 a.m.

AWESOME. A reason to ride again!

Feb. 16, 2010, 11:58 a.m.

thanks for putting that last paragraph. I don't think most riders will realize how horrendous the DNV's plan is until the trees start coming down and the gravel is laid and its just too late

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 16, 2010, 12:18 p.m.

thanks for putting that last paragraph. I don't think most riders will realize how horrendous the DNV's plan is until the trees start coming down and the gravel is laid and its just too late

Is that teh section they did in the LSCR? It is terrible to think they want more trails like that. The time and resources spent doing it could have been steered else where, hopefully with a far different vision of what kind of trail the final outcome will produce.

Not attempting a thread jack.

Diggers work is awesome.

WTF, Over?