Obsessed With Mountain Biking
The NSMB Podcast: Ep 8 – Kyle Warner
What inspires someone to make a better life for themselves? Our childhood heroes, our friends and parents, or complete strangers can have a lasting impact but how about a video game?
Growing up, Kyle Warner dealt with many daily challenges. As a teenager, while he was looking after his clinically depressed mother, they lost their home, and his older brother had a substance dependency. But the video game, Downhill Domination, and Eric Carter’s character in that game sparked something in Kyle.
Kyle fell in love with the sport. Once he got a bike, riding became a positive outlet, bringing joy and an escape from the trouble at home. He declared, mountain bikes were going to be his life and set goals to become a professional racer. Now he's shifted his focus from racing to helping others get into the sport. His YouTube channel has grown rapidly and an active community of followers shares stories of saved marriages and a new direction in life, just like the one Kyle found himself on when he found bikes.
Kyle's story is one that I’m excited to share. It’s humbling and emotional, and he left me speechless several times. He’s a great human; genuine, soft-spoken and motivated to help people by spreading the positive impact that bikes can have.
- Discovering bikes as an outlet to escape his tough life at home
- Goal setting and racing bikes
- Transitioning from racing to helping people
- Building a publicly recognized pumptrack in his hometown of Chico, California
- YouTube and sharing knowledge, for free
- The people who are forgotten by the industry
- The catalyst for the move to the Kyle & April YouTube channel
- Reassuring messages from fans
- Valuable information doesn't need simplifying for women
- Not using ads like other YouTubers
- Building content consistency
- Shop location and plans for it (Ride MTB)
- Motivation and the weight of Kyle's childhood
- Starting a scholarship program and helping kids get on bikes
- Kyle's future with racing
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Kyle & April Ride MTB YouTube channel
- Kyle & April's Rays Mountain Bike Park Video that went viral
- Chico Pumptrack Pre-Opening Test Lap with Kyle
The NSMB Podcast: Obsessed with Mountain Biking is available on all of your favourite podcast apps: