WB Clamps Down on Trails not in the Bike Park

May 18, 2016, 2:39 p.m.

Quck reply needed: I got a bunch of buddies from the UK who are planning on riding Whistler Valley trails (+ Squish +Pemby) this summer. Theyre not interested in the bike park.

Do I tell them to cancel the flights and the house they've rented and go to Les Arcs or the Pyrenees instead?

yes, there are no good trails in town because one unauthorized one got shut down….the sky is falling, oh the humanity [HTML_REMOVED]wailing[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]gnashing of teeth[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]screams of anger at 'The Man'[HTML_REMOVED]

May 18, 2016, 2:45 p.m.

Quck reply needed: I got a bunch of buddies from the UK who are planning on riding Whistler Valley trails (+ Squish +Pemby) this summer. Theyre not interested in the bike park.

Do I tell them to cancel the flights and the house they've rented and go to Les Arcs or the Pyrenees instead?

One trail is affected by that sign. It was a sweet trail though. RIP Dark Crystal.

May 18, 2016, 2:50 p.m.

yes, there are no good trails in town because one unauthorized one got shut down….the sky is falling, oh the humanity [HTML_REMOVED]wailing[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]gnashing of teeth[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]screams of anger at 'The Man'[HTML_REMOVED]

So how many more will be decommissioned before they arrive in September?
They will be severely pissed off after dropping many thousands of pounds/dollars on a 'once in a lifetime' trip only to find a significant (?) number of trails either off limits or already decommissioned. They have a bucket list but I don't know exactly what's on that list though I'm pretty sure IBT would be ( for instance)…

May 18, 2016, 2:58 p.m.

So how many more will be decommissioned before they arrive in September?
They will be severely pissed off after dropping many thousands of pounds/dollars on a 'once in a lifetime' trip only to find a significant (?) number of trails either off limits or already decommissioned. They have a bucket list but I don't know exactly what's on that list though I'm pretty sure IBT would be ( for instance)…

NO OTHER TRAILS ARE BEING DECOMMISSIONED.

There is one trail that has only become known by the general public in the past weeks that's being 'lost'. I didn't actually think you were being serious, to be honest. This is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things. And I highly doubt your buddies will cancel their trip because one trail they didn't even know existed is being shut.

May 18, 2016, 2:59 p.m.

You ever hear the story of the super zealous Mountain Safety employee who chased down one of the old school blackcomb shredders after he ripped Satisfaction? I heard he is still looking for some of his teeth in lot 7.

If they seriously think I would be handing over my bike park pass for riding on blackcomb, they are absolutely kidding themselves. They would be getting a fake name and shit ton of lip.

Good luck with that. If the borg wants you it doesn't matter what name you give, they'll figure you out flag you and anything else that will help find you and pull you out of the lift line. Don't ask how I know.

edit to add. How long did mr og blackcomb guy loose his pass for?

Side question, maybe someone know, but have ski pass pulls being applied to the Bike Park also? Riding DC could just end up ruining your bike and ski season.

As a buddy said "Kinda hard to explain to the wife that you want to move to Jackson for a whole year after being selfish and skiing a closure and getting your pass pulled"

May 18, 2016, 3:18 p.m.

Good luck with that. If the borg wants you it doesn't matter what name you give, they'll figure you out flag you and anything else that will help find you and pull you out of the lift line. Don't ask how I know.

edit to add. How long did mr og blackcomb guy loose his pass for?

Side question, maybe someone know, but have ski pass pulls being applied to the Bike Park also? Riding DC could just end up ruining your bike and ski season.

As a buddy said "Kinda hard to explain to the wife that you want to move to Jackson for a whole year after being selfish and skiing a closure and getting your pass pulled"

For sure if you get your pass pulled for skiing a closure it applies to the bike park. (not sure if thats what you are asking)

May 18, 2016, 3:58 p.m.

WB doesn't like the trails because it cuts into their profit margin. Don't believe any thing else they are all about the dollar.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

May 18, 2016, 4:22 p.m.

WB doesn't like the trails because it cuts into their profit margin. Don't believe any thing else they are all about the dollar.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

May 18, 2016, 4:28 p.m.

That would have been a big build… gutted for the builders. Never ridden it but the zone would be spectacular.

:canada:

May 18, 2016, 4:31 p.m.

That would have been a big build… gutted for the builders. Never ridden it but the zone would be spectacular.

the builders have taken it a lot better than the self-entitled whiners.

May 18, 2016, 4:32 p.m.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

exactly this.

May 18, 2016, 5:11 p.m.

Things went downhill after the Koch Brothers started investing millions into WORCA.

May 18, 2016, 5:17 p.m.

somehow I think that riding in Whistler Valley will continue to be freakin' awesome.

May 18, 2016, 7:22 p.m.

I generally am pretty anti WB, for a number of personal reasons, so this just rubbed me the wrong way. My problem lies in the fact that its probably some of the best real estate for trail building, especailly close to the village. The trail was well built, by a well respected local, who would have provided adequate maintenance. I can see why people are getting upset.

I think there needs to be better communication when stuff like this occurs, maybe the message should have come from WORCA first and followed up by WB later, rather than that blog post and then social media craziness.

May 18, 2016, 9:25 p.m.

I rode a bunch of trails recently that weren't in the tenure. They were very good to ride and I downloaded an "app" for my phone that claims there are many many more.

And then I saw that this app also included a place called Squamish and another place called Pemberton and there were more and more of these trails.

But instead, I cancelled my trip.