Natural High

Feb. 25, 2006, 4:33 p.m.

Hi Guys, thanks for the support

Heckler gonna be leading the work tomorrow

For your info,

The powers that "can't let things be" have raised a big fuss with the DNV about this thread, and the work proposed.
I have been asked to change the drawing to make sure the it is clear that what we are doing is fixing the old trail, not building new . With that said, I think the Wall ride would be a bad move politically, Also, anyone interested to help or who wants info should PM me as opposed to posting.

Note: The district has asked me to remind you all, if you are gonna work on trails, you must be a member of the NSMBA. They offer insurance coverage for all their members, and you must be insured to do work on the distict run land. its free to join, so drop by a bike shop, or go on line and sign up. that way, if you get hurt while building, the district is safe, and the anti-bike / anti-build fringe has less ammo to use against us.

I'm still learning about the political side of these issues, and will hope you all can respect it too.

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Feb. 25, 2006, 4:44 p.m.

Oh Yeah,

the dead tree above Stunt #4 has been dropped, they could not drop it where I had asked since it would have snagged several cedars on the way down so the tree faller (who is a MTB'r) dropped in the best spot he could given the surrounding trees, it is in a great spot, and will make a sweet "Black Line" but we will have to re-build all of stunt #5 as a blue line.

Heckler, you may wanna cut the rungs for the Blue line a bit wider than we discussed before (a request from the DNV) approx 18-24"

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Feb. 25, 2006, 6:46 p.m.

Barring a snow or rainstorm tomorrow, we'll be up there by 10 AM and stay at least till noon (probably longer unless it's really cold).

I'll bring an extra shovel and pick, and two hammers.

Plan is to rock in the LZ of the #3 (that swampy low land into the right corner) and carry some 18" rungs that I'll cut up tonight down to #5 and possibly tear out #5 and bring it up to the road.

I'll post up by 9 AM Sunday to confirm that we'll be there. See you there Subplop and kalisto! Dress warm and bring gloves.

Feb. 26, 2006, 12:14 a.m.

PM e-ville

Feb. 26, 2006, 8:26 a.m.

Please clean the trail as much as possible before you leave, and stash the tools well. There are a few people who will be watching and walking this trail in the next week, and it should look good, environmentally sensative (ie tread light), safe and organized.

This regular practice anyways!

I think we'll rebuild #5 today (too cold and wet to do rock work). There will be a new pile of old bridge garbage on the road at the end of the day.

I cut the rungs at 20", and #5 will follow the identical line as the old one.

We probably won't be up there till 10:30

Feb. 26, 2006, 8:47 a.m.

Mmm, great weather.

PM heckler

-jp

p.s. 10:30 trailhead sounds good

Feb. 26, 2006, 12:11 p.m.

Just got back from the trail, there are 4 guys there right now.

Hey, Who build the wood ramp on the back side of the blue line over stunt #3? I'm trying to keep track of Builders and Times.

For your info

Digger dropped by this AM to give some guidence, He asked us to remove some of the cribbing along the edge of the trail cause it traps water, and suggested we not build so wide. He had some great advice based on years of experience, so we are gonna be changing some stuff based on these comments.

We are shortening the berm length after stunt #1 and removing the edging logs before #2.

Please try to PM me about when you work, what you propose, or what you've done.

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Feb. 26, 2006, 2:54 p.m.

pm e-ville

Team Crafty

Feb. 26, 2006, 3:50 p.m.

Guidelines for building that I learned from Digger today (all kneel before the master…)

1. Don't line the edges of the trail with logs, since this will stop water from draining. Plan that any drains WILL be filled up. Water should drain off the trail without the need for drains.

2. Protect roots of trees by rockng in over them and covering the roots with gold dirt. Make sure the top surface of the rocks is even, and that the rocks are all at least 4" deep, so there is 4" of rock touching the next rock. This holds them all in place.

3. Use large rocks as anchors for smaller rocks.

4. Build cribbing around rockwork to hold the rocks in place.

5. Don't use rotted wood for ANYTHING!

6. Stringers should be at least 4"*6", or 5" round

7. Rungs shouldn't be longer than 18" without having a middle stringer under them. Especially when we're using 2"*4" rungs!

8. Two finger spacing between rungs. 5" nails into the rungs.

9. A large (2"*6" in our case) rung should be at both ends of each bridge, and it should have a 6" long nail, and two 5" long nails in both stringers. These are the rungs that get the most loading from riders.

OK - I added a little more than what Digger told us.

Feb. 26, 2006, 3:53 p.m.

Big thanks to Subplop and his buddy for coming out from Surrey today!

Big thanks to Kalisto! And the other guy who's NSMB name I didn't catch!

You guys did great work on a sloppy day.

Feb. 26, 2006, 4:12 p.m.

Rowan (spelling?)

He doesn't post on here, though he should…

Feb. 26, 2006, 6:18 p.m.

Holly SHIT! I remember talking to LeeLau for a long time about adopting Natural High over 1 year ago, and he said just let it die. The district wouldn't go for anything that low on the mountain.

Now look at what you loyal builders are doing. Great job guys, you can believe that when I come down for easter I will be hitting it up.

King, I wish I was there to help dude, that is one sweet project!

Chris

Feb. 26, 2006, 6:43 p.m.

Still lots of work needed…

Once it's resurrected, it'll be awesome.

Feb. 26, 2006, 7:48 p.m.

Digger gave so much info in that span of time, and it all made a hell of a lot of sense, that was pretty sweet.

Glad I finally got to lend a hand.

5. Don't use rotted wood for ANYTHING!

I think that we learned that the hard way today.

chad

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

Feb. 26, 2006, 8:29 p.m.

Quick question: the slideshow…is that the condition of the trail right now, or is that what it used to be?

2006 Specialized BigHit FSR I

"Lucy, I've owned Cory and Trevor since they were six!"