How to make rungs for ladder bridges

April 5, 2007, 10:21 p.m.

Please no!

scrap wood and pallets will just rot away in no time at all.

April 5, 2007, 10:30 p.m.

Is it ok to use processed lumber for structures on trails, such as scrap wood [HTML_REMOVED] pallets? Ive been thinking about this for a while, the only disadvantage would be transporting that stuff into the trails

is this a late april fools joke?

when I first started building I def went the pallet route. very lame. first off hauling the shite in sux, disassembling pallets is harder than you'd think..but most important of all..pallets rot out in a hurry. use rocks,dirt or cedar, thats about it.

April 5, 2007, 11:49 p.m.

It was no joke. Figured that maybe I had an easy solution for myself for ladder rungs, but if there going to rot quickly then ill just do it properly. Thanks for the replies

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 7, 2007, 8:56 p.m.

would pine be ok to use for shakes?

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

April 16, 2007, 5:59 p.m.

I just found the sweetest pile of ladder rungs for trails practicly in my own backyard. Rungs just need to be cut to length and split once. Too bad I dont live remotely close to vancouver:damn:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 16, 2007, 6:30 p.m.

if you're in a dryer region, you can get away with wood other than cedar. With our wet climate, anything other than cedar and you're wasting your time.

that said, cedar splits really nicely and easily, whereas other wood can be really hard to split. if there's any knots, you'll have troubles.

Good luck! (seriously)

April 16, 2007, 6:33 p.m.

this thread needs a minor update. here's the newschool of building ladder bridges. You just need to hire Jeremy Power to cut up the wood for you.

April 16, 2007, 7:29 p.m.

this thread needs a minor update. here's the newschool of building ladder bridges. You just need to hire Jeremy Power to cut up the wood for you.

As a bit of an aside, am I getting from this that the nsmba is moving away from building traditional style ladders in lieu of cedar planks, or will traditional stringer/rung bridges still be used in various applications?

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

April 16, 2007, 7:35 p.m.

It's really up to the builder, not the NSMBA.

Ladders take a lot more effort to build, and also require more maintenance with replacing rungs, and also use a lot more nails ($$).

But they can also look amazing, and be a work of art, like the new Piledriver entrance. That takes a lot more hand work (as opposed to saw work).

April 16, 2007, 7:39 p.m.

It's really up to the builder, not the NSMBA.

Ladders take a lot more effort to build, and also require more maintenance with replacing rungs, and also use a lot more nails ($$).

But they can also look amazing, and be a work of art, like the new Piledriver entrance. That takes a lot more hand work (as opposed to saw work).

yes, I was going to ask about that, but I thought id let you take it. the fat pile of rungs sitting under the driver were split my myself and one other buddy, all of noel's rungs had the privilage of being used on the trail day. :crybaby:
To me, I love the look of a ladder bridge over a plank.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

April 16, 2007, 7:40 p.m.

and ladders provide a ton more grip on anything other than a flat bridge.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the slabs, but they do last alot longer.

April 16, 2007, 7:56 p.m.

and ladders provide a ton more grip on anything other than a flat bridge.

that too! slabs can be scary if they're wet and muddy, but when you learn to ride them without braking, you're good to go.

April 16, 2007, 8:20 p.m.

![](this thread needs a minor update. here's the newschool of building ladder bridges. You just need to hire [HTML_REMOVED]

Nice work!

Are there any photos of how Jeremy mills those planks?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 17, 2007, 8:18 a.m.

with his bare hands of course!

that work gets done before a trail day so that we don't have people 'milling' about.

April 17, 2007, 8:27 a.m.

that work gets done before a trail day so that we don't have people 'milling' about.

badump tshh!