Bridle Path Realignment

Nov. 16, 2013, 10:38 a.m.

I guess so, not sure you need that level of chunder to do that!

People run up boogieman.

When mountain bikers do maintenance work on multiuse lines they should really consider all users. might reduce the hate.

formally wernie

Nov. 17, 2013, 9 a.m.

There was no reason to fill the old line with debris at all. Don't like the 'chunder'? Don't ride it. Options are not a bad thing.

Nov. 17, 2013, 9:10 a.m.

Did I read this incorrectly? http://nsmba.ca/content/2013-09_fall-2013-trail-days.
Nov 16 Bridle/old buck. Showed up but no one at the old buck parking lot? At least the dogs got a walk. Is there a better location/resource to find out what is going on? The Nov 2 'realignment' was nowhere on the nsmba site until the work was done.

Nov. 17, 2013, 9:26 a.m.

That might be a result of running a glorious number of traildays, and I'm sure a sincere apology might be in order.

NSMBA Shore Corps:
Attend the free Trail Builders Academy to become a member of the trained builders and get notification of trail days. This is the best way to know whats going on when shovel meets dirt.

Follow NSMBA Twitter. Looks like there were two public trail days yesterday - Bobsled and Circuit 8.

NSMBA Facebook also has details of the two days yesterday.

Looks to me like the proliferation of media is tough to keep all outlets up to date. I remember back in the day when having just the NSMBA website up to date was a challenge. More volunteers are always needed.

The AGM is November 27 btw! Help out, make your words heard, hear what's going on…

Nov. 17, 2013, 9:31 a.m.

There was no reason to fill the old line with debris at all. Don't like the 'chunder'? Don't ride it. Options are not a bad thing.

The old school trails (read that as 10,15,20 years ago when they were first built) were at the same ground level as the surrounding forest. Many years of erosion and water creates the chunder, and the subsequent ditch that any fall line trail will cause.

The biggest reason for all these reroutes is in the link above. At least give that a read if you don't get a chance to sign up for the Builders Academy.

Nov. 17, 2013, 3:18 p.m.

Did I read this incorrectly? http://nsmba.ca/content/2013-09_fall-2013-trail-days.
Nov 16 Bridle/old buck. Showed up but no one at the old buck parking lot? At least the dogs got a walk. Is there a better location/resource to find out what is going on? The Nov 2 'realignment' was nowhere on the nsmba site until the work was done.

Hey if you are keen to come out and help I am holding a trail day on Richard Juryn next weekend. Sunday the 24th at 9am. We meet where it intersects with Baden Powell and I would be more than happy to have some extra sets of hands.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Nov. 17, 2013, 6:29 p.m.

If you're looking for clapped out chunder, head up Applicator. Or Severed (sorry, not the top anymore Martin!), or Pingu (just stay off the succulent berms by Dunbar), or CBC, or Ned's, or Dirty Diapers, or Incline, or just hit lap the next 1.5 km on Bridle east of the reroute.

Or they could have just left it for others to choose to ride or not. If you didn't fill in the the old line then really how is it you are answering for those that did? If you did do the work filling in the original route… why? This isn't a hard question and certainly not one for debate. Either you did it and know why or you didn't and have no idea.

Nov. 17, 2013, 6:47 p.m.

Bridle is getting some sustainable solutions for multi use…beginners, kids, dogs and hikers, trail runners, etc.

How is it multi-use if you put all users on one narrow twisty trail? Runners, dog walkers and hikers don't mind the original line. Runners like the original line, you should ask them, I have.

Just don't be surprised when you start seeing braids and widening on the new sections where people need to move over for one another and people and dogs cut the corners.

Give it some thought. :???::???::???::???::???::???::???::???::???::???::???:

formally wernie

Nov. 17, 2013, 6:48 p.m.

lol "big boy stuff"

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 17, 2013, 9:59 p.m.

filling in the original route… why? This isn't a hard question and certainly not one for debate. Either you did it and know why or you didn't and have no idea.

OK, I'll make it a little more clear this time, rather than disguising a link you obviously didn't follow or read.

From http://www.imbacanada.com/resources/trail-building/designing-and-building-sustainable-trails, and also the reason why, why, why…

I'll even trim out the extra words.

three goals they all strive for when designing and building trails:

1) limit environmental impacts;
2) keep maintenance requirements to a minimum;
3) avoid user conflicts.

They continued by offering a checklist for building sustainable contour trails. A contour trail is a path that gently traverses a hill or sideslope. It's characterized by a gentle grade, undulations called grade reversals, and a tread that usually tilts or outslopes slightly toward the outer edge. These features minimize tread erosion by allowing water to drain in a gentle, non-erosive manner called sheet flow. When water drains in thin, dispersed sheets, dirt stays where it belongs - on the trail.

Critical Trailbuilding Tip

Avoid the Fall Line
Fall-line trails usually follow the shortest route down a hill - the same path that water flows. The problem with fall-line trails is that they focus water down their length. The speeding water strips the trail of soil, exposing roots, creating gullies, and scarring the environment.

Contour Trail Tips For reroutes, reclaim old trail thoroughly - the visual corridor as well as the trail tread

there's really no point to any of this work if you allow the old trail to keep eroding.

Nov. 17, 2013, 10:07 p.m.

How is it multi-use if you put all users on one narrow twisty trail? Runners, dog walkers and hikers don't mind the original line. Runners like the original line, you should ask them, I have.

an interesting read on Singletrack.

http://www.imbacanada.com/resources/trail-building/importance-singletrack

Why is Singletrack So Important?

Most trail enthusiasts prefer narrower trails. Whether they are riding a mountain bike, running or hiking the trail, or exploring on horseback, these users want to experience a close connection to nature. Singletrack provides this better than roads and separates recreationists from the world of the automobile. Trees and shrubs may create a tunnel of green, tall flowers may reach eye level, wildlife may cross the path, immersing visitors in the natural world. The experience just isn't the same on an open, wide road.

Many singletrack enthusiasts also seek a higher degree of challenge than can be found on most jeep trails or forest roads. The narrow nature of singletrack makes these trails exciting for a variety of users and provides an invigorating backcountry experience.

Singletrack Fosters Slow Speeds

Those who object to mountain biking on singletrack envision riders bombing along a 12-inch-wide trail at supersonic speeds. They imagine bicyclists launching headlong into startled hikers and equestrians who have no place to escape on the narrow trail. This scenario, while alarming, is generally unfounded.

Singletrack trails tend to slow mountain bikers‹particularly on shared-use trails where they anticipate encountering other visitors. The narrow and frequently rough nature of singletrack demands constant focus and a slow to moderate speed, and its tight and twisty nature is exhilarating on its own. While there are always a few renegades who push the limits, most mountain bikers are responsible, conscientious trail users who seek an enjoyable experience, not excessive speed.

It's almost counter-intuitive, but speed and danger tend to increase when mountain bikers are confined to wide roads. Bored and unchallenged, bicyclists quickly attain speeds that can bring them into direct conflict with other visitors.

Nov. 18, 2013, 7:22 a.m.

Heckler. line 8 For highly technical trails where grade will sometimes exceed 15 percent, use natural rock, rock armoring or other rock features to add challenge and improve sustainability.
I don't think it says to take a fun little challenging section and ddts the hell out of it. You guys had options… you just chose to do the same rinse and repeat pattern that is making every trail the same as the last these days.

I know you guys are proud of your work but it is getting harder and harder to appreciate when every solution seems to be dig an enormous hole right beside the trail and fill/cover every single feature until it looks the same as everything else.
I know you seem to hate the old trail builders.. but the difference is those guys worked with the materials they had on hand. It also made trails that meshed with the forest and more importantly made things unique.

Nov. 18, 2013, 9:41 a.m.

ha ha ha ha Heckler is a young trail builder ?

Might want to brush up on your history there macaroo.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Nov. 18, 2013, 10:19 a.m.

waste of bytes. see ya in the woods. I'll be the one with the shovel you ride by.

Nov. 18, 2013, 10:33 a.m.

I don't think it says to take a fun little challenging section and ddts the hell out of it. You guys had options… you just chose to do the same rinse and repeat pattern that is making every trail the same as the last these days.

I know you guys are proud of your work but it is getting harder and harder to appreciate when every solution seems to be dig an enormous hole right beside the trail and fill/cover every single feature until it looks the same as everything else.
I know you seem to hate the old trail builders.. but the difference is those guys worked with the materials they had on hand. It also made trails that meshed with the forest and more importantly made things unique.

macaroo i tend to sit on your side of the fence but i think your perspective is too one sided on this issue. i spent a bit of time reading thru the cardiac thread you started and you had some good points there as well. but "the man" is not out to personally get you and destroy all of your fav riding options.

i honestly believe there can be more give and take on both sides of the debate, but you need to realize that the game has changed from just 5-10yrs ago. there are losts of reasons for this but the key point is that the mtb'ing scene has changed and we have to play under different rules than we used to. this means that we have to give a little first before we can get more.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer