Words to the wise: Ride with a buddy

Nov. 19, 2011, 4:08 p.m.

For all of the guys wanting the spot I would read a few of the reviews on REI.

Something like this is $180 more then spot but does not have an auto $100/year renewal fee like the spot. Battery is good for 5 years so that would be equivelant to $500 of SPOT coverage plus the $100 intial cost. So saves you about $320.

http://www.rei.com/product/815753/acr-electronics-resqlink-406-gps-personal-locator-beacon

Here is a REI review of the spot, there were quite a few negative reviews.

For example:
I would recommend buying a "real" Personal Locator Beacon for $300-400 and here's why.My first gen SPOT unit worked fine and I enjoyed the service - until I dropped it ONCE and it broke.I quickly found out this company has TERRIBLE customer service. So far I've lost [$] on the first unit because it broke and they do not repair or replace or even give you a discount on a new one. (now they offer a replacement insurance for $20 per year but they didn't when I bought my unit in 2008) I've lost $57 on service that they charged me unknowingly for after I called and reported it broken…they threatened me with sending my past due balance to collections, and repeatedly told me this was my fault for not calling to cancel the renewal on my service (which I did not know was happening and thought I signed up for one year of service - I have since found out that they force you to sign up for auto-renewal on your registered credit card in the terms [HTML_REMOVED] conditions and the card I had registered was no longer valid). AND, now I've also possibly lost another [$] that I paid for the second gen unit which I may not be able to return since it's been a while since I ordered it. (I REFUSE to use this service any longer)Their representatives are rude, they don't know what customer service means, and they are more interested in taking your money than saving lives.You will save money in the long run on a PLB because SPOT charges you $100 minimum per year to use their service - with forced auto renewal. PLB's cost more up front but are free to use: The SAME authorities and rescue services are notified in an emergency!!! You can also buy rescue insurance from other sources (such as the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search [HTML_REMOVED] Rescue card). The only thing you are giving up is the cute little website that shows your location. Well, I will miss that but I'm not willing to pay hundreds of dollars to get it. All I want is to be able to call in the cavalry if I get in trouble. Just a warning…you are taking your chances with this service!!!

March 14, 2012, 10:54 a.m.

North Shore rescues highlight flaws in relying on cell phone GPS system

http://www.vancouversun.com/North+Shore+rescues+highlight+flaws+relying+cell+phone+system/6301293/story.html

March 14, 2012, 11:16 a.m.

http://www.vancouversun.com/North+Shore+rescues+highlight+flaws+relying+cell+phone+system/6301293/story.html

Not restricted to phone GPS. The driveable ones have their issues too

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110511/chretien-recovery-search-110511/

March 14, 2012, 11:55 a.m.

Interesting. I was on my first ride on Cypress on Sunday and went too far up Eagle Lake Rd, ending up on a steep side road above snowline. Checked on my phone and apparently I was in UBC. Strange campus!

Fortunately I knew the way back (point bike down hill).

I will be getting a Spot or similar due to the amount of things I do solo (skiing, biking). We use the Spot for work in NE BC as a backup system. It's features (regular SMS messages, web tracking) make it attractive to me vs an emergency transponder.

Cheers, Ben

March 14, 2012, 12:22 p.m.

I have been considering getting the DeLorme inReach GPS which allows you to send msgs from your android phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/delormes-inreach-two-way-gps-communicator-receives-txts-on-moun/

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

March 14, 2012, 12:31 p.m.

I think the biggest problem is that people still keep referring to cell-triangulation as GPS. They are totally different things. Using the cell signal to triangulate won't help if you don't have a good signal. Proper satellite GP is much more accurate and still works in the back country, you just have to make sure that it's turned on.

March 15, 2012, 1:58 p.m.

Agreed with what Biggles says. Certainly android and iphones have "proper" gps chipsets in them and used with correct type of app and correct phone settings will give reasonably accurate location once gps signals are locked on. However, this sometimes takes a number of minutes so initial location readings can be way off

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

March 16, 2012, 8:58 a.m.

I have been considering getting the DeLorme inReach GPS which allows you to send msgs from your android phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/delormes-inreach-two-way-gps-communicator-receives-txts-on-moun/

Inreach also runs of Irridium vs Globalstar. way better sat coverage + you get a confirmation you signal went out.

March 16, 2012, 9:41 a.m.

The latest SPOT "connect" model lets you send text messages via bt connection to android or iphone. I have one, works great. It also does provide a confirmation that the message has been sent. I've had good success with mine.

I have a Nexus phone and the gps in it (true GPS, not cell-based) has worked as well for me as my last standalone gps model. I have stacks of tracklogs from areas with zero cell coverage within 50+km, including steep terrain and tree cover.

YMMV but I'm happy with cheap.

Cheers
KF

March 16, 2012, 10:22 a.m.

Agreed with what Biggles says. Certainly android and iphones have "proper" gps chipsets in them and used with correct type of app and correct phone settings will give reasonably accurate location once gps signals are locked on.

This might sound like splitting hairs, but it’s wildly inaccurate to refer to Android as a single GPS platform. Android is an operating system and says little to nothing about the hardware on your phone. If you’re interested in using the GPS functionality on a phone running the Android OS, check the manufacturer website for the specific GPS hardware that comes with the phone. For instance, only a subset of Android based phones provide assisted GPS to help resolve an accurate position in poor signal areas. The take home is that not all cell phones advertising GPS provide the same level of accuracy, so know what you’re getting.

It’s also worth noting that using location based services on these phones weigh heavily on the battery. I personally have pretty low expectations for how long my Droid X would be of help were I to be lying in the dirt.

March 16, 2012, 10:34 a.m.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do SAR locate you by a cellphone GPS location? Would that not require that you phone someone? The phone would need to be sending it's signal right? So there are places on the North Shore where you have bad or no mobile service and I know from experience with my Garmin bike computers (205 and now a 500) that sometimes the GPS signal drops or is weak. Last Sunday for example I was cruising down the pavement in the demo forest heading to Circuit 8. In the gear I was in I was probably doing close to 30 kph but the Garmin had my speed about half that. So how do PLB's function better? Or do they?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 16, 2012, 12:53 p.m.

how do SAR locate you by a cellphone GPS location?

That’s the better question.

I’ll preface this by saying I’m no expert. The potential ways to locate someone via their mobile seem like they would vary by phone and often provider. For my particular phone, I have an application installed that acts as a beacon. It uses all the location services on my phone to transmit location. I also have a provider specific feature, which can use cell triangulation to locate the device (obviously not nearly as accurate and requires a signal). Both of these have to be explicitly turned on to be of any use. I ride alone all the time and only use the features when I’m in a new area, so again, my expectation of my mobile as a savior is low.

How would SAR use this information? I have not a clue. It would be interesting to hear someone with SAR experience comment on how this stuff is actually being used. By the time my wife let them know I was missing, there’s a non-trivial chance that my phone would already be dead from using location services:) I use my mobile to capture details of my ride (Strava etc) but I’d add a PLB if I wanted a reliable way of being located.

March 23, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

That PLB posted above has one downfall… It's only got one mode, and that is full-on emergency SAR mode. Those are normally used by pilots and if you activate one there will be aircraft in the air immediately looking for a plane crash.

A tourist was sent out with one of those up here, he injured his ankle and activated the beacon. Aircraft were dispatched from 2000 km away and it was a big deal.

SPOT gives you more non-emergency options, like having someone who knows where you are and how to get you out. Also the real-time tracking which is a great feature. In addition to peace of mind/interest for people who can follow you in real time, it's also great for coordinating pickups. We do remote 8-12 hour rides and the SPOT lets us coordinate the timing of the pickup vehicle.

Also, even if you do activate the SPOT emergency it goes to the local authorities who can determine how to best respond, instead of to the national SAR.

Something to think about. At the end of the day either one could save your life for a pretty reasonable sum of money.

March 23, 2012, 11:42 a.m.

Also, even if you do activate the SPOT emergency it goes to the local authorities who can determine how to best respond, instead of to the national SAR.

Something to think about. At the end of the day either one could save your life for a pretty reasonable sum of money.

I understand that the SOS button alerts SPOT head office (in Texas?) who will contact the relevant authortities - in our case the RCMP - who will then alert the local SAR people.

Cheers, Ben

March 23, 2012, 3:09 p.m.

I understand that the SOS button alerts SPOT head office (in Texas?) who will contact the relevant authortities - in our case the RCMP - who will then alert the local SAR people.

Cheers, Ben

That is correct. How do I know? We were recently in the (un)fortunate situation of needing to activate our SPOT for another group that got themselves in trouble - they had just triggered an avalanche, with one member of the group going for a good ride and sustaining serious injury.

That group asked us to use our SPOT to call 911 for them, so we got a good first-hand look at what goes on when you activate it. It was a good learning experience and is probably worth sharing here, so here goes….

As mentioned above, when you hit the 911 button, it alerts the SPOT call centre in Texas. They will then call the contact people listed on that account. In this case it was my husband and I - but because we were out of cell range we couldn't receive the call. (We are still unclear if they contacted our emergency contacts - the ones listed on our account were (thankfully!) out of town with their voicemail turned off.)

The SPOT people will then contact the local RCMP - but we don't know how. There is no service agreement with eComm and we're not sure if it goes through the PEP, or they just look at where the signal is and call directly to the local detachment.

The RCMP in turn call out the appropriate SAR team.

It's important to note that when SAR is mobilizing for a SPOT call - they have no idea what they are responding to! All they have is a location, but no information on the nature of the incident. It is therefore very challenging for them to prepare appropriately.

If you can follow-up with a 911 phone call to provide more information to SAR - do it! In our case, we were out of cell range, but sent 2 skiers out to drive back and make that 911 call once they were back in range.

Make it clear to the 911 operator that you want to be dispatched to the RCMP (they dispatched us to ambulance initially - who are not 'connected' to RCMP - so there was no record of our SPOT call). Then make sure RCMP (and in turn SAR) know that you are calling about the SPOT signal so they don't think there are 2 different incidents they need to respond to.

SAR asked us to drive to their local station where they requested assistance pin-pointing on Google Earth exactly where the incident was. Even though they had the coordinates from the SPOT, they wanted reconfirmation that it was accurate. Apparently there have been cases where the signal was off. SAR also wanted to know whether there was an appropriate place to land the chopper, how long it would take to access the area by skinning in, could it be accessed by sled etc.

Please give this a think for a second in case you ever need SAR. When you are 'out there' can you and EVERYONE in your group answer those questions? Could you pinpoint on a map and/or Google Earth exactly where the incident occurred?

It took about 3.5 hours from the time we activated the 911 on the SPOT until SAR was mobilized. I mention that ONLY to highlight just how long it will take for help to reach you in the back-country in the case of an emergency. Having a SPOT is not a replacement for proper planning or responsible travel, it is just one extra tool that may help you mobilize help a bit faster.

Props and thank-you once again to SAR. We're hoping this was the only time we'll ever need to interact with you guys.

Not sure if that helps anyone's decision to purchase a SPOT or not, but that's how it works if you need it.

Play safe!

"I'm not an ambi-turner. I can't turn left."