Words to the wise: Ride with a buddy

March 25, 2012, 12:31 p.m.

That was some really good info and first-hand experience, thanks for posting.

The way it works around here and, I believe, across Canada is that the RCMP are always responsible for ground search and rescue. They decide if and when SAR resources are called out and how to deploy them.

You guys have professional SAR so sounds like they get called out earlier, up here our SAR is 100% volunteer and the RCMP would probably not have called us out for something like that. They probably would have used RCMP, EMTs and/or aircraft to manage the rescue.

So basically it goes to RCMP and they make the call on the rescue.

March 26, 2012, 2:06 p.m.

I did a bit more research into this stuff as my planned trips in summer and winter are taking me further and further afield:

http://bolty.net/2011/04/28/by-the-numbers-spot-messenger-vs-acr-resqlink-vs-mcmurdo-fast-find-210/

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 26, 2012, 2:58 p.m.

I did a bit more research into this stuff as my planned trips in summer and winter are taking me further and further afield:

http://bolty.net/2011/04/28/by-the-numbers-spot-messenger-vs-acr-resqlink-vs-mcmurdo-fast-find-210/

His conclusion isn't that useful.

As a result, I have delayed my decision to purchase a personal locator device.

Until something better comes along, I'll be using my Spot 2.

March 26, 2012, 3:12 p.m.

Anyone considering the Spot Connnect, check the reviews on MEC's site (not good):
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Electronics/PersonalLocators/PRD~5026-203/spot-connect-satelite-gps-communicator.jsp?pdtTab=2#reviews

Compared to the reviews for the Spot 2 (4 out of 5 with 14 reviews):
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Electronics/PersonalLocators/PRD~5024-746/spot-spot2-satellite-gps-messenger-beacon.jsp?pdtTab=2#reviews

No, I don't work for Spot but I do own a #2 model and my brother own one of the original versions.

March 26, 2012, 3:57 p.m.

My initial reaction to Spot Connect is that daisy-chaining two devices for mission-critical communications is not the most reliable solution. I like the Sot device because it is standalone and appears robust. Capabilities are simple which is not a bad thing IMO.

CHeers, Ben

March 26, 2012, 4:05 p.m.

just a little fyi on the "stupid stuff" - it doesn't have to be stupid, just one little slip on a wet root on a fairly basic trail you've ridden a hundred times, and you end up smashing/breaking your nose on an old stump. not that this happened to me or anything …

Thats how I tore the ligaments the first time in one ankle. Clipped in and back wheel slipped a root and my ankle went perpendicular and pop.

Luckily with the clips I could pedal one leggedly out.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

June 11, 2013, 4:44 p.m.

Bumping this thread for those that haven't seen it.

Quite a few people in the thread about the unfortunate incident on Fromme yesterday mentioned about riding alone and other's not knowing they were riding.

A Spot wouldn't have helped in that case, but if you were down and unable to help yourself, a PLB like the Spot might assist in help arriving sooner than waiting for someone to randomly find you.

June 11, 2013, 5:34 p.m.

Quite a few people in the thread about the unfortunate incident on Fromme yesterday mentioned about riding alone and other's not knowing they were riding.

A Spot wouldn't have helped in that case, but if you were down and unable to help yourself, a PLB like the Spot might assist in help arriving sooner than waiting for someone to randomly find you.

It's not a lot but I have a Fox 40 whistle on the shoulder strap of my pack. Even if I was all folded up I should be able to reach it and deafen myself calling the Littlest Hobo, or human assistance, or a bear.

June 11, 2013, 7:48 p.m.

Bottom line is if you're knocked cold (or similar) while riding on your own, you are relying on good fortune to recover. It's a risk worth bearing in mind but (generally) not enough to stop riding. Weather dependent - cold + alone + incapacitated = not good.

Cheers Ben

June 12, 2013, 8:08 a.m.

Did you guys see this thing?

After mounting to any helmet, the ICEdot communicates with a smart phone over BlueTooth LE. If in a crash of a certain magnitude, the required amount of impact will trigger the sensor causing your phone to sound an alarm. After the alarm is triggered you have a chance to disable the alert, or it will then send out SMS emergency text messages and a link to your current GPS coordinates to your pre-specified emergency contacts. Currently only iPhone 4s and 5 are supported by the ICEdot, so keep that in mind.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/06/10/are-you-a-bikewrecker-icedot-crash-sensor-taking-pre-orders/

June 12, 2013, 8:15 a.m.

Anyone considering the Spot Connnect, check the reviews on MEC's site (not good):
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Electronics/PersonalLocators/PRD~5026-203/spot-connect-satelite-gps-communicator.jsp?pdtTab=2#reviews

Compared to the reviews for the Spot 2 (4 out of 5 with 14 reviews):
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Electronics/PersonalLocators/PRD~5024-746/spot-spot2-satellite-gps-messenger-beacon.jsp?pdtTab=2#reviews

No, I don't work for Spot but I do own a #2 model and my brother own one of the original versions.

How about this new Pieps product?

http://www.biglines.com/articles/lifesaving-technology-your-fingertips-introducing-pieps-global-finder-iridium-canada

June 12, 2013, 3:15 p.m.

That is correct. How do I know? We were recently in the (un)fortunate situation of needing to activate our SPOT for another group that got themselves in trouble - they had just triggered an avalanche, with one member of the group going for a good ride and sustaining serious injury.

That group asked us to use our SPOT to call 911 for them, so we got a good first-hand look at what goes on when you activate it. It was a good learning experience and is probably worth sharing here, so here goes….

As mentioned above, when you hit the 911 button, it alerts the SPOT call centre in Texas. They will then call the contact people listed on that account. In this case it was my husband and I - but because we were out of cell range we couldn't receive the call. (We are still unclear if they contacted our emergency contacts - the ones listed on our account were (thankfully!) out of town with their voicemail turned off.)

The SPOT people will then contact the local RCMP - but we don't know how. There is no service agreement with eComm and we're not sure if it goes through the PEP, or they just look at where the signal is and call directly to the local detachment.

The RCMP in turn call out the appropriate SAR team.

It's important to note that when SAR is mobilizing for a SPOT call - they have no idea what they are responding to! All they have is a location, but no information on the nature of the incident. It is therefore very challenging for them to prepare appropriately.

If you can follow-up with a 911 phone call to provide more information to SAR - do it! In our case, we were out of cell range, but sent 2 skiers out to drive back and make that 911 call once they were back in range.

Make it clear to the 911 operator that you want to be dispatched to the RCMP (they dispatched us to ambulance initially - who are not 'connected' to RCMP - so there was no record of our SPOT call). Then make sure RCMP (and in turn SAR) know that you are calling about the SPOT signal so they don't think there are 2 different incidents they need to respond to.

SAR asked us to drive to their local station where they requested assistance pin-pointing on Google Earth exactly where the incident was. Even though they had the coordinates from the SPOT, they wanted reconfirmation that it was accurate. Apparently there have been cases where the signal was off. SAR also wanted to know whether there was an appropriate place to land the chopper, how long it would take to access the area by skinning in, could it be accessed by sled etc.

Please give this a think for a second in case you ever need SAR. When you are 'out there' can you and EVERYONE in your group answer those questions? Could you pinpoint on a map and/or Google Earth exactly where the incident occurred?

It took about 3.5 hours from the time we activated the 911 on the SPOT until SAR was mobilized. I mention that ONLY to highlight just how long it will take for help to reach you in the back-country in the case of an emergency. Having a SPOT is not a replacement for proper planning or responsible travel, it is just one extra tool that may help you mobilize help a bit faster.

Props and thank-you once again to SAR. We're hoping this was the only time we'll ever need to interact with you guys.

Not sure if that helps anyone's decision to purchase a SPOT or not, but that's how it works if you need it.

Play safe!

Quoting Mrs. Gurstin's post as anyone with a Spot likely needs a refresher on what actually happens when you put the "send help" button.

Thanks for taking the time to write up the incident report.

June 12, 2013, 3:42 p.m.

That was some really good info and first-hand experience, thanks for posting.

The way it works around here and, I believe, across Canada is that the RCMP are always responsible for ground search and rescue. They decide if and when SAR resources are called out and how to deploy them.

I think that changes in the northern half of Canada. That's when the local group and the nearest Ranger patrol group do it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 12, 2013, 4:14 p.m.

I just picked up a new Garmin Edge 510 which comes with the option to connect to a cell phone and share your location. Now this only works in areas with cell service, but for most activities, this will work fine…

Had my girlfriend test it the other day and basically I was able to see within a minute or so where she was.

Were she to have a mishap, I could easily discern where she was last quite quickly, and she doesn't need to send me a text at the top of her ride before she heads to the downhill sections.

Will update after some more use…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

June 12, 2013, 4:32 p.m.

well since I posted I have been dragged off the mountain by SAR with a broken leg. I had a cell phone so I didnt use my SPOT. fantastic response by the coquitlam SAR though. Had I had no form of communication and no friend with me im not sure I could have gotten off the mountain even though I wasn't that far away from civilization.
I did a 5 day solo kayak trip in desolation sound and it was great having the ability to communicate an emergency if requried and to let my wife know I was OK

My spot was great for about 8 months then it crapped out and stopped working.

Im going to pick up the new inreach SE as soon which is available this month believe.