Words to the wise: Ride with a buddy

June 12, 2013, 4:58 p.m.

I have PLB that I used for backcountry skiing, but now thinking it may be a good idea to pack it when I'm solo out on the mtb as well. Being retired, a lot of my rides are solo mid-day mid-week. Not a lot of people on the trails during the work week.

I always use a check-in [HTML_REMOVED] check-out routine to let my family know where I'm going [HTML_REMOVED] check back in when I'm done.

June 12, 2013, 10:09 p.m.

This past Sunday I took a rider up fromme for a night ride burn. He had never ever done ladies only and wanted to give it a try.

So all is going well and we end up at Barts Bridge. He says "hey can you spot me?"

as a decade long builder and rider of the shore I was confused…

He explained "just get down to the tricky section and catch me if I go down"

So away I went and found a good spot that I could do this, a place I could brace myself for impact if he needed help.

Low and behold 3 times he went right over the bars and I was able to catch him like a newlywed husband would carry his wife over the threshold :)

the 4th time he got it.

This is a section "as the past builder of Ladies" I have NEVER cleared, and he did on number 4.

I thought to myself what an amazing thing to let go of an ego and work as a team….

Learn something I did this day about the buddy system.

June 12, 2013, 10:11 p.m.

well since I posted I have been dragged off the mountain by SAR with a broken leg. I had a cell phone so I didnt use my SPOT. fantastic response by the coquitlam SAR though. Had I had no form of communication and no friend with me im not sure I could have gotten off the mountain even though I wasn't that far away from civilization.
I did a 5 day solo kayak trip in desolation sound and it was great having the ability to communicate an emergency if requried and to let my wife know I was OK

My spot was great for about 8 months then it crapped out and stopped working.

Im going to pick up the new inreach SE as soon which is available this month believe.

shit! not again!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 13, 2013, 8:50 a.m.

no that was last year splinks. Im all good now.

June 13, 2013, 12:12 p.m.

This past Sunday I took a rider up fromme for a night ride burn. He had never ever done ladies only and wanted to give it a try.

So all is going well and we end up at Barts Bridge. He says "hey can you spot me?"

as a decade long builder and rider of the shore I was confused…

He explained "just get down to the tricky section and catch me if I go down"

So away I went and found a good spot that I could do this, a place I could brace myself for impact if he needed help.

Low and behold 3 times he went right over the bars and I was able to catch him like a newlywed husband would carry his wife over the threshold :)

the 4th time he got it.

This is a section "as the past builder of Ladies" I have NEVER cleared, and he did on number 4.

I thought to myself what an amazing thing to let go of an ego and work as a team….

Learn something I did this day about the buddy system.

Very cool!

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Feb. 19, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

Bumping this old thread for Kevin26, lots of good info and advice in here.