Skid Lid on Air Supply

Oct. 30, 2006, 2:56 p.m.

They didn't ask for advice actually - only directions.

it wasn't them, it was 2 kids, riding "decent" bikes.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Oct. 30, 2006, 3 p.m.

Personally, I think we've move beyond a time for vollies maintaining the trails. The LCSR has a paid trail crew and it's rediculous that there isn't one for Fromme and Cypress. The trail network and ridership has grown FAR beyond what a local volunteer group can be expected to handle. T

I'd go further and say I'd pay to play. If portion of the trail crew salaries would need to come from user-fees, I'm all for it (but I do think it needs to be a 3P deal).

Wouldnt having vollies maintain the trails keep the quality up?

As for the kid who broke his arm; shitty dude, I feel for ya, and hope you recover soon, but look at the bright side: you have now officially paid the "cover charge" for the north shore. I gave three ribs to Roach Clip (Hit?) not three weeks after I moved to Vancouver. That was a hella painful lesson…
As for the trails being too hard; Its true. We, as north shore riders, need to keep that in mind when talking to first timers. I used to bike in Vic, and everytime I would come over here to visit mates, they would push me down Boogieman on my Trek 6500/3" suspension xc rig… ahhh… memories…

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

Oct. 30, 2006, 3:23 p.m.

Women numbers remain low and they have to ride the same 3 or 4 trails because the level gets too high fast.

So, as a woman there are only 3-4 trails on the NS I can ride? Funny, I wonder who all these other trails I've been riding are for then…

pd

Oct. 30, 2006, 3:41 p.m.

So, as a woman there are only 3-4 trails on the NS I can ride? Funny, I wonder who all these other trails I've been riding are for then…

Freetards, obviously… :lol:

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

Oct. 30, 2006, 3:49 p.m.

To the advanced riders: you've got Groovula, Horseman, Bitches Brew, GMG, AirSupply, Circus, Upper Oilcan, Starfish, JerryRig, Aftertaste and whole bunch of other trails. How many frickin' double black trails do we need ?

If somebody makes Grannies, Oilcan, Lower Digger, Dempsey, Peugeot, Jetboy, BigEye or BP better for xc riders and/or intermediates/beginners, are we suppossed to feel like we jipped the advanced freeriders? I mean, you likely haven't cleaned all the trails listed in first paragraph and you still could go to hoodlums to fix your DJ skills, so why is it so wrong to change the other trails. If I'm a born n bred local who likes xc, am I supposed to feel bad for the Ontario or British rider-tourist who says there's less freeride for him to ride on the Shore?

When I was in Cham, there were lots of green runs. The rando guys also do well there and it's not just the big mountain, DIN16 skiers whom the whole area caters too.

It's not just the newbies whom are marginalised by the big elephant in the room. XC, cross, marathon (have you seen how fast transrockies fills up?!), and other rider groups whom support local business and pay taxes are left in the shadows as they watch the freeride party take more than their share. Is it the mandate for the NSMBA to balance the needs of the various rider groups OR are they there to keep it good for freeride ?

NSMBA member.

Oct. 30, 2006, 3:59 p.m.

If I'm a born n bred local who likes xc, am I supposed to feel bad for the Ontario or British rider-tourist who says there's less freeride for him to ride on the Shore?

What's your point? "XC" (in the traditional sense) and the Shore has always been an oxymoron.

It's not just the newbies whom are marginalised by the big elephant in the room. XC, cross, marathon (have you seen how fast transrockies fills up?!), and other rider groups whom support local business and pay taxes are left in the shadows as they watch the freeride party take more than their share.

XC, cross, marathon riders should improve their skills.

Is it the mandate for the NSMBA to balance the needs of the various rider groups OR are they there to keep it good for freeride ?

Currently the latter. It may change with the new direction.

Oct. 30, 2006, 4:20 p.m.

Yawn….

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Oct. 30, 2006, 4:37 p.m.

I heard a rumour that the LSCR has, in it's longer term plans , designs to build an XC loop from the east side of Spur 4 bridge up to Spur 7. this would certainly add to the XC appeal of the shore. I've been riding the shore on MX and MTB's for almost 30yrs. @ 38 I'm not old but I am getting older. As such you just don't heal as fast and NEED to do the XC miles to be able to have the strength to do the DH.The shore will always be the pinnicle of tech dh/freeride. But now those of us that have gone through the "progression" of the sport, now need to do a little "regression",in terms of how far we are willing to hang i out there. I think that in time as the MTBing on the shore grows, more XC trails will appear. Those of us pushing the 40 mark are the vanguard of this group and as we age and slow down the need for trails that will suit are new found riding styles are sure to appear. Honestly, "the shore", and all it's wonderful trails have only been around for 20yrs, max. Pretty young really. The XC expanssion will come and the shore will a better and more complete riding destination as a result. Damn were lucky to live here.

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

Oct. 30, 2006, 4:51 p.m.

To the advanced riders: you've got Groovula, Horseman, Bitches Brew, GMG, AirSupply, Circus, Upper Oilcan, Starfish, JerryRig, Aftertaste and whole bunch of other trails. How many frickin' double black trails do we need ?

I would say that what is happening here is pretty obvious; the only people who are working the trails on the shore are uhh… "freeriders" (god, I hate that term).

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

Oct. 30, 2006, 4:57 p.m.

If you're not willing to actually contribute, then stop bitching.

Sober

Oct. 30, 2006, 5:04 p.m.

this has gotten way off topic, but here's something else to consider. a lot of what has helped legitimize the NSMBA in the eyes of gov't is a slight shift towards things such as the work on both BP's - baden powel and bridle path. ask yourselves if you think keeping the nature of the trails hardcore and a fringe sport is going to help in keeping the trails open and legitimizing mountain biking in the eyes of the public and gov't? i want to keep the shore mystique/difficulty intact, but at the same time see a lot of benefit in having a small piece of the pie cater to a lesser rider. it comes down to marketing and the way we present ourselves and this sport.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 30, 2006, 5:08 p.m.

I don't really see a need for too many easier or XC trails on the shore either

Oct. 30, 2006, 5:13 p.m.

i agree that the aggro attitude that seems to be attached by some involved with the nsmba needs to stop as it does nothing to further our cause. so what if some people post ignorant or negative comments about trail work? be responding in kind we do not help our situation and may even cause it damage. nooner's comments are a perfect example of that.

if we can't repsond in a positive and constructive manner to peoples' concerns/objections then maybe we shouldn't say anything at all.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 30, 2006, 5:47 p.m.

I personally don't want to waste my time working on a trail that I don't ride. If you want an easier XC type trail, then go find a trail that nobody else is working on, spend the hours, and build it the way you want it.

Just remember to do a good job, or you will be critisized by the 90% of the people that think "THEY" should have done a better job.

Oct. 30, 2006, 5:53 p.m.

NSMBA gets slammed for dumbing down trails and making them too easy and also gets slammed for only working on trails that are hard.

I'll be blunt. Almost all the time the problem is the rider. If it's too hard, then improve. If it's too easy, then you're probably riding a bike that's too big - go try it again on a rigid hardtail.