Shuttle Vehicle Payback

April 16, 2009, 11:53 a.m.

My own bad on this but we were running shuttles at Vedder in my truck. Taking turns driving. The guy driving the last run of the day decided to go fast to beat us on the way down and I now need to have my front diff done. You can actually see where it hit a rock from compression. Not happy, but lesson learned. No one drives my truck but me. You can't take a turn shuttling or recovery in YOUR vehicle, you are not driving mine.

i'd say he needs to pay for your truck getting fixed.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 16, 2009, 12:19 p.m.

thanks Dad, How about I ride my bike the way I want and you do it the way you want

No problem punk assed kid…….just kidding, I know you are not a kid you are certainly welcome to your opinion. I'm sure that you ride your bike just fine, it's just too bad that you think driving your cool truck up and down every mountain in the area has anything to do with actually riding your bike. The added abuse on the trails and obvious environmental impact are real issues when talking about shuttling - these issues are important for all of us regardless of age so I don't buy the "Dad" vs. kid (old school vs. new school, etc) argument here.

All I'm trying to say is this: maybe try to throw in a few human powered rides every now and then to get the whole experience. The benefits are that you might just like it, you won't be worried about your Bro's not paying for gas and maintenance costs on your big assed shuttle beast, and you will be contributing to a more sustainable and environmentally sound sport. There are guys out there right now that ONLY shuttle for their mountain bike rides. I think that is a sad statement on our community.

April 16, 2009, 12:27 p.m.

No problem punk assed kid…….just kidding, you are welcome to your opinion. I'm sure that you ride your bike just fine, it's just too bad that you think driving your cool truck up and down every mountain in the area has anything to do with actually riding your bike. The added abuse on the trails and obvious environmental impact are real issues when talking about shuttling - these issues are important for all of us regardless of age so I don't buy the "Dad" vs. kid (old school vs. new school, etc) argument here.

All I'm trying to say is this: maybe try to throw in a few human powered rides every now and then to get the whole experience. The benefits are that you might just like it, you won't be worried about your Bro's not paying for gas and maintenance costs on your big assed shuttle beast, and you will be contributing to a more sustainable and environmentally sound sport.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 16, 2009, 12:34 p.m.

reading this soapbox speech and knowing who you're talking to makes me laugh uncontrollably.

No problem punk assed kid…….just kidding, I know you are not a kid you are certainly welcome to your opinion. I'm sure that you ride your bike just fine, it's just too bad that you think driving your cool truck up and down every mountain in the area has etc etc etc

I can't figure out which of these guys you are :lol:

_The Lecturer - This is the buzzkill pedant who feels the need, even in a casual, light comments section, to post a 1,000 word exegesis on what everyone should be talking about. Hey, thanks pal!

The Unacknowledged Expert - A version of the lecturer, this is the undoubtedly insufficiently credentialed poster who feels the need to systematically point out how stupid everyone else is in order to prove how brilliant they are. I always picture these guys as the frustrated adult result of smart kids who didn't listen to their high school guidance counselors_

April 16, 2009, 12:41 p.m.

Great to hear, I'm off the soapbox then…..the message wasn't aimed at the guys that already get it. Carry on with the highly important discussion of vehicle maintenance, it was far more entertaining anyways.

April 16, 2009, 12:52 p.m.

Good discussion. Here is a business perspective to chew on and be entertained by:

Huckwagon stopped doing shuttles because of high costs of business. Consider the following points and you'll know why….

If you want some entertainment, look into insurance and Commercial vehicle licensing as well as PTA licensing (taxi) costs at ICBC and you'll understand why there are no pure shuttle businesses around. See formula below….

Taxi license (PTA) $10-20 000/year (seriously!), TSA Commercial License approx $500/year, $.50-$.70/km, $20-25/hr for Class 4 driver= ONE HUGE SHUTTLING CHARGE per ride! Note:This does not factor in much for vehicle maintenance or any profit. This also does not factor in any permits from land owners etc, to operate commercially in parks (BC Parks, DNV etc)

There are some loopholes but it is a slippery slope. I hope the info provides some entertainment for all.

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

April 16, 2009, 12:54 p.m.

at the end of the day it's only the bitches who complain about a problem and do nothing to help solve it.

Ellen Langer

April 16, 2009, 2:05 p.m.

No problem punk assed kid…….just kidding, I know you are not a kid you are certainly welcome to your opinion. I'm sure that you ride your bike just fine, it's just too bad that you think driving your cool truck up and down every mountain in the area has anything to do with actually riding your bike. The added abuse on the trails and obvious environmental impact are real issues when talking about shuttling - these issues are important for all of us regardless of age so I don't buy the "Dad" vs. kid (old school vs. new school, etc) argument here.

All I'm trying to say is this: maybe try to throw in a few human powered rides every now and then to get the whole experience. The benefits are that you might just like it, you won't be worried about your Bro's not paying for gas and maintenance costs on your big assed shuttle beast, and you will be contributing to a more sustainable and environmentally sound sport. There are guys out there right now that ONLY shuttle for their mountain bike rides. I think that is a sad statement on our community.

But I like shuttling its fun, and I enjoy it so its really none of your bees wax, Kay.

also just because I shuttle donsnt mean that I dont also climb, ride epics, take Heli's ride lifts ext. as for beating on the trails I give back more than I take out..do you.

April 16, 2009, 2:07 p.m.

I give back more than I take out..

that explains where the little ones come from…

;)

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

April 16, 2009, 2:16 p.m.

Bozo makes it sound like im some kind of shuttle….whore.

April 16, 2009, 2:23 p.m.

Just for the record Boozy, I ride up far more than I shuttle. I also drive a front wheel drive Santa Fe. Not exaclty a 'big assed shuttle beast'. That said, shit can and does happen during road trips. Sometimes, as others have pointed out, it has nothing to do with the act of shuttling.

April 16, 2009, 2:27 p.m.

Just for the record Boozy, I ride up far more than I shuttle. I also drive a front wheel drive Santa Fe. Not exaclty a 'big assed shuttle beast'. .

me too

http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5315[HTML_REMOVED]catid=member[HTML_REMOVED]imageuser=20145

April 16, 2009, 2:36 p.m.

Points all well taken guys, sorry for the rant (not the underlying message, just the "soapbox" flavour of it).

I'm still not big on the whole shuttle thing but that's my personal choice. Besides, my old, fat ass would be A LOT bigger if I didn't ride up most times so I'm really left with no other choice!

Have a great season……

April 16, 2009, 4:05 p.m.

Points all well taken guys, sorry for the rant (not the underlying message, just the "soapbox" flavour of it).

You don't need to back down. Not only do those buggers kill the earth, they celebrate their heathen ways by hunting the local fauna and cooking it at the trailhead.

http://photos.nsmb.com/files/2/0/1/4/5/pigroast.jpg

April 16, 2009, 4:37 p.m.

me too

http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5315[HTML_REMOVED]catid=member[HTML_REMOVED]imageuser=20145

R.I.P.

I'm disappointed I never got to use and abuse your investment into that rig.