Fromme parking open house

Oct. 24, 2014, 9:03 a.m.

Personally, though I'm definitely an old-skool tech gnar rider, I think BP could do with some dumbing down though not at the points everyone else is referring to. I think the worst bit is the rooty section followed by the punchy climb just east of the Pipeline exit. I find it impossible to get any flow along that 200 metres (?) section. Once up that little climb, heading to Mtn Hwy flows really nicely and even the descent to the water fountain, whilst challenging, should be doable by a confident intermediate and, as others have pointed out, the very techy sections are short and walking them won't add much time to a ride

It would be awesome to extend the bridgework at the bottom of Pipeline to cover all that stuff.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 24, 2014, 2:09 p.m.

I think the worst bit is the rooty section followed by the punchy climb just east of the Pipeline exit. I find it impossible to get any flow along that 200 metres (?) section.

I love riding by people on that section!

Baden Powell is fine, Tons of work has been done on that trail. Unless you want to see it graveled and ditched like Old Buck, just learn to ride it or walk. There is nothing wrong with walking sections you can't ride.

The NSMBA has had three Gaming Commission Grants to work on the Baden Powell, plus the work the DNV did in 2011, and the recent work down again by the NSMBA. Not to mention trail days and other random work done by Digger and Peter over the years.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Oct. 25, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

It would be nice to see a trail day on baden Powell by the boy scouts. Has anyone ever talked to anyone in the organization about this?

Oct. 31, 2014, 2:37 p.m.

As a rider [HTML_REMOVED] a trail runner, I would hate to see the BP "dumbed down".

Several reasons:
-although the current section of the BP doesn't allow for flow, it is still a decent challenge. If it's too much to hike that small section, then head the other way. Or stay on Seymour, Circuit 8, or UBC.
-more flow would mean faster riding, [HTML_REMOVED] more likelihood of rider/hiker/runner conflicts. There are already enough. The current state of that section of the BP limits speed (for the most part) [HTML_REMOVED] conflict.
-sections that are conducive to flow, are not necessarily conducive to foot travel. We expect hikers to respect our bike trails, we should respect the hiking trails (after all, that was the intent of the BP in the first place).

A parallel trail would be a much better option, but again, I don't think it's worth it. What's wrong with a challenge? If it's beyond one's ability, deal with it or head the other way.

Perhaps we should take a look at the climbing community. Climbing routes are left un-altered once the first ascensionist has set it (there are exceptions, but this is usually followed by grievous debate [HTML_REMOVED] stone throwing…no pun intended). If we start to redesign the BP to accommodate ease of access, then where do we stop? Why not take the teeter totter out of Lady's? What about the slight uphills on Pipeline?

Nov. 3, 2014, 10:36 a.m.

I think the argument to make BP slightly easier is that it is a connector trail used by riders of all abilities. A beginner or intermediate rider isn't likely to ride Ladies so your point in regard to the tetter totter isn't really valid.

Nov. 3, 2014, 11:48 a.m.

Rock faces tend to stay unaltered due to them being rock faces.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 4, 2014, 12:05 p.m.

is mr bond the guy who was cooking bacon last week?

Nov. 4, 2014, 1 p.m.

Rock faces tend to stay unaltered due to them being rock faces.

that's loser talk

Nov. 4, 2014, 1:05 p.m.

is mr bond the guy who was cooking bacon last week?

at the gate on Saturday? Yep. Matt Bond, former NSMBA president, now running for council in DNV.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 4, 2014, 1:37 p.m.

although, technically (according to Facebook), it was Dennis cooking the bacon for Mr. Bond.

Nov. 4, 2014, 10:48 p.m.

I think the argument to make BP slightly easier is that it is a connector trail used by riders of all abilities. A beginner or intermediate rider isn't likely to ride Ladies so your point in regard to the tetter totter isn't really valid.

My point is, why does the BP need to be a connector trail to suit beginners? What's wrong with exiting at Dempsey/Braemar if the existing trail is too much?
Much as the same idea that if Ladies is too much for some, it shouldn't be altered either.
Quite frankly, there is only one easy trail that leads to the BP…Expresso. And that is really just a relatively recent change. Before that, the BP was considered the easy trail.

Nov. 5, 2014, 8:39 a.m.

My point is, why does the BP need to be a connector trail to suit beginners? What's wrong with exiting at Dempsey/Braemar if the existing trail is too much?
Much as the same idea that if Ladies is too much for some, it shouldn't be altered either.
Quite frankly, there is only one easy trail that leads to the BP…Expresso. And that is really just a relatively recent change. Before that, the BP was considered the easy trail.

Someone who is riding Expresso will need to take BP at the beginning of their ride assuming that they park at Dempsey/Braemar, so I don't think it's as simple as saying that all beginners should just exit at DB… although I guess that Dempsey connector trail that ends at Mill street could be an option as well (although I've never ridden that trail).

Nov. 5, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

Someone who is riding Expresso will need to take BP at the beginning of their ride assuming that they park at Dempsey/Braemar, so I don't think it's as simple as saying that all beginners should just exit at DB… although I guess that Dempsey connector trail that ends at Mill street could be an option as well (although I've never ridden that trail).

Plus, I would add that it's nice to have a network that allows everyone to be able to complete trail loops while minimizing road riding. The BP is kind of a weird section in that it's do-able for intermediates but it has some sections that are completely frustrating for them. My solution has mostly been to park at D/B and to do the BP first, so that at least the intermediate riders in the group are fresh instead of fatigued.

But IMHO, the network is the key and changing BP is only one possible solution (but one I would support). A climber of reasonable grade from the D/B zone up to Mountain Hwy would also allow intermediates to make loops.

Nov. 5, 2014, 10:32 a.m.

Making better use of that Dempsey connector is a great idea. It's a level, smoothish bench.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 5, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

Not sure this is the right place to put this but in the event someone was looking for an opportunity to offer up some good will in the Fromme area (since I know a few people are pretty good with shovels):

https://www.facebook.com/LynnValleyLife

"Does anyone have a spare few hours to help out a neighbour in need? The family at 3451 Fromme was hit hard and buried in mud on Monday night. They have a truck there this morning to take away the dirt. Please feel free to stop by for as much time as you can spare to lend a hand - BYOS (bring your own shovel)"

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"