Expresso Smooth question

May 21, 2013, 4:16 p.m.

Nice build but I've got to say I think that it still should be a skinny up to smooth. Not to keep the gnar but to stop unskilled riders nailing themselves on the roll down.

I don't completely disagree, but there is still a skinny on to the slatted bridge. The new alignment made it possible to coast right on to the smooth, so having something that can handle some braking is likely to save a few first timers.

flickr

May 21, 2013, 5:49 p.m.

I don't completely disagree, but there is still a skinny on to the slatted bridge. The new alignment made it possible to coast right on to the smooth, so having something that can handle some braking is likely to save a few first timers.

Lame, having to go slow and wiggle over the roots onto the skinny took skill, sad to see that gone.

Clunking is for retards.

May 21, 2013, 5:54 p.m.

Lame, having to go slow and wiggle over the roots onto the skinny took skill, sad to see that gone.

It's not gone, but you have to ride the old line to do it. Not many people choosing the old line, as vocal as they are on here…

flickr

May 22, 2013, 7:35 a.m.

Glad they left the old line in tact! Good job and as far as unskilled riders the walk it before you ride it rule is and should be the normal thought pattern. I was worried before I hit it with all the negative comments, stuck to the old line and much fun! Please continue with the build a new easy line and save the knarl, rather than the turn the knarl into the easy line! Thanks to all involved!

May 22, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

First to comment on the new work, after riding it complete last week. Very nice, but even with the too easy, wimp line on the smooth, I still wasn't able to get it done. I know it's there and it will happen this summer.

Like others, I too am happy the old line is still in place. I rode the old line last fall when it was nice and dry and man it was sketchy for me. The ramp up to the fallen tree, no problem, started to wobble on the tree section to the off camber ramp, and by then was pretty sketched out on the off camber ramp down. Despite it being dry I still did not want to hit the brakes too hard, lots of green on the ramp from very little use.

So I guess I fall into both camps in that I do like some of the old knar, but also really like and appreciate the new flow.

Great job again to all those involved on the trails.

May 22, 2013, 4:06 p.m.

Air it, dangerous dan style.

May 23, 2013, 10:58 a.m.

It's not gone, but you have to ride the old line to do it. Not many people choosing the old line, as vocal as they are on here…

it will be interesting to see how long before the old line just falls into disrepair and becomes a memory.

May 23, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

I bet next spring no one will clear the blowdown and that'll be it. Just a buncha 'chainsaw needed' posts

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 23, 2013, 1:10 p.m.

Very nice, but even with the too easy, wimp line on the smooth, I still wasn't able to get it done. I know it's there and it will happen this summer.

It's one of those lines that looks scary as hell until the first time you roll it. Then the realization hits - it's not that hard after all!

Unless you lock your rear at the top and fail to correct. Then it's a world of hurt.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 23, 2013, 2:11 p.m.

It's one of those lines that looks scary as hell until the first time you roll it. Then the realization hits - it's not that hard after all!

Unless you lock your rear at the top and fail to correct. Then it's a world of hurt.

Kn.

I tell myself that as I ride the first part of the trail, but something happens as I approach and I end up talking myself out of it.

Not certain, but I believe the smooth rock roll on UOC is more difficult and have managed than one. Just goes to show how much the mental part impacts the ride.

May 23, 2013, 2:44 p.m.

I tell myself that as I ride the first part of the trail, but something happens as I approach and I end up talking myself out of it.

Not certain, but I believe the smooth rock roll on UOC is more difficult and have managed than one. Just goes to show how much the mental part impacts the ride.

The one on UOC is a bit harder because you have to ride up and over the lip to the rock slab. Also the exit is a bit tighter than on the big smooth on Expresso. Both are super fun either way.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

May 23, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

What might help is watching someone do it [HTML_REMOVED] get more of a feel of how it's done.

Thread killer

May 23, 2013, 9:18 p.m.

3 pages about a rock.

Lol

Pastor of Muppets

May 26, 2013, 8:17 p.m.

Great replies thanks.

What other trail stunts would you equate Expresso Smooth too?

Some that come to my mind:

1. last rock/ramp on UOC
  2. rock on 7th right before log ride exit (bypass s-turn)
  3. a-frame on Ned's

Any others?

Looking at Morgman's first pic it doesn't look as steep as it does when you stand at the top and scope it out.

Maybe that up-and-over the big stump on Natural High… though that has more heights involved and I'd say is more dangerous. Maybe that roller beside the big rock near the top of Ladies? It's longer but not steeper…