Cypress 2022

March 22, 2022, 4:19 p.m.

Posted by: craw

So on Saturday I went to Cypress at 10am. I parked on the road out of force of habit. Went up the BLT and down Upper Tall Cans etc for a quick rip. The sun came out, the climb was pretty dry and despite the forest seeming waterlogged it was pretty well drained.

The magic happened when I was heading home. Got on the highway heading east around 11:30 and got to the Hastings exit after 1pm. I sat in that traffic for 90 minutes. I get that when complaining about traffic, that you are the traffic. But the highway without an accident or construction should be flowing properly at that time of day on a Saturday. Is this the new normal? Every time I've come to the Shore in the last few weeks it's a bit worse each time, with the gridlock extending for miles down the local roads that feed into the highway, starting around midday.

I live in Mount Pleasant and have had a few of those 60-90 minute drives from Cypress back home. I'm super lucky with WFH that I can get in 1 sometimes 2 extended "lunch" rides a week but I pretty much only ride Seymour now as it's the most predictable traffic wise. 20-25min to Parkgate and 25-35min home, rarely 40-45 unless there's an accident. With early sun I might try to start doing early morning rides instead.

March 22, 2022, 6:08 p.m.

Sigh. I have no issue getting up early to ride; when it's hotter I'm happy to go as early as possible. But now this means that if I were to ride Squamish at 8am and return home after that I'd still get stuck in the same upper levels gridlock. In that case am I still being part of the problem?? 

At 10am the base of Cypress was deserted so I figured that was fine. Returning to the city at 11:30am on a Saturday is hardly an unreasonable time to want to cross the city for any reason. But I guess it is now. Where once Cypress was my spot of choice for busy Saturdays with most people flocking to Fromme and Seymour. I guess now that's no longer the case and I'll stick to Cypress on weekday mornings (lucky I have a flexible schedule!).

I hear you but the reality is we live in a densely populated area stuck between mountains, water, and a border so there are bottlenecks everywhere. Population is growing, bottlenecks stay the same, traffic will likely only get worse. Getting frustrated about it won't help. The only thing you can do is take it into account each time you are considering a trip and make the trade-off. For a quick Cypress rip, not worth getting stuck in traffic and easy to choose a time that avoids it. For Sea 2 Sky rides, it's not as clear cut. Either you accept that a big Squamish ride is worth the possible inconvenience of sitting in traffic on the way back or, if not, ride closer to home. Good thing we are spoiled with three mountains in our backyard.

A flexible schedule is indeed the best. Cypress on weekday mornings is awesome, like having your own private mountain ;-)

March 22, 2022, 11:19 p.m.

Cypress on weekday mornings is awesome

So, traffic is non-existent on a weekday morning, eh?

😉

March 23, 2022, 6:58 a.m.

Living in the Upper Lonsdale area is pretty key for Shore riding. Fromme takes minutes. I can stop at Seymour on my way home from work or on weekday early to late mornings without any issues. Cypress is the same for weekdays after work (4pm) and traffic is clear by the time I'm heading back home. I specifically chose my neighbourhood based on recreation, knowing that my daily commute to South Van is done at non-peak hours (6am/3pm), and ensuring that the things I love to do aren't as affected by traffic. And I have to say, buying a  hybrid 3 years ago was a great call.

March 23, 2022, 7:44 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

😉

Same strategy: don't go on the road at the same time as everyone else. Usually no issues >9am as most people are at work by then. That's where the flexible schedule comes in.

Back on topic? How are the trail conditions on Cypress? How low is the snow?

March 23, 2022, 8:05 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Sigh. I have no issue getting up early to ride; when it's hotter I'm happy to go as early as possible. But now this means that if I were to ride Squamish at 8am and return home after that I'd still get stuck in the same upper levels gridlock. In that case am I still being part of the problem??

At 10am the base of Cypress was deserted so I figured that was fine. Returning to the city at 11:30am on a Saturday is hardly an unreasonable time to want to cross the city for any reason. But I guess it is now. Where once Cypress was my spot of choice for busy Saturdays with most people flocking to Fromme and Seymour. I guess now that's no longer the case and I'll stick to Cypress on weekday mornings (lucky I have a flexible schedule!).

I hear you but the reality is we live in a densely populated area stuck between mountains, water, and a border so there are bottlenecks everywhere. Population is growing, bottlenecks stay the same, traffic will likely only get worse. Getting frustrated about it won't help. The only thing you can do is take it into account each time you are considering a trip and make the trade-off. For a quick Cypress rip, not worth getting stuck in traffic and easy to choose a time that avoids it. For Sea 2 Sky rides, it's not as clear cut. Either you accept that a big Squamish ride is worth the possible inconvenience of sitting in traffic on the way back or, if not, ride closer to home. Good thing we are spoiled with three mountains in our backyard.

A flexible schedule is indeed the best. Cypress on weekday mornings is awesome, like having your own private mountain ;-)

I am just surprised at how quickly it's turned to shit. Squamish is the same. Rides in Squamish have to end early because the trailheads are packed by 11 and the S2S is crazy busy northbound by noon. I guess I'm just a little resentful at having to accommodate all these noobs and joiners. Where were they these last 20 years and now they show up and now I have to work around them?? /sarcasm

Early starts for everything and if I have a late start, chill out and grab dinner before heading back. TBH in the summer the early start are much better.

Last edited by: craw on March 23, 2022, 8:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2022, 9:56 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

😉

Same strategy: don't go on the road at the same time as everyone else. Usually no issues >9am as most people are at work by then. That's where the flexible schedule comes in.

Back on topic? How are the trail conditions on Cypress? How low is the snow?

Coming down from skiing Hollyburn Monday it was substantial at the second lookout.

March 24, 2022, 10:17 a.m.

I’m not even a climber but I don’t think that the grades on BLT are very bad. Straight up the one by the Roach Hit exit and above the UTC entrance. They’re short. There are way worse climbs on the shore 🤣

Cypress Update:

There have been some positive developments that show that the DWV and BPP are listening to constructive feedback from all user groups, including bikers as it relates to development plans on Cypress.

It’s very important that people continue to look closely at what the plans outline, invest the time to understand the implications and then communicate alternatives (you can’t just say something doesn’t work, you should also have an alternative) constructively. 

Let’s see how it plays out - but it’s a good dialogue between Planning/BPP and riders right now re Cypress.  They’re considering feedback from riders when they can and it’s making a difference!

March 24, 2022, 12:30 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I’m not even a climber but I don’t think that the grades on BLT are very bad. Straight up the one by the Roach Hit exit and above the UTC entrance. They’re short. There are way worse climbs on the shore 🤣

Cypress Update:

There have been some positive developments that show that the DWV and BPP are listening to constructive feedback from all user groups, including bikers as it relates to development plans on Cypress.

It’s very important that people continue to look closely at what the plans outline, invest the time to understand the implications and then communicate alternatives (you can’t just say something doesn’t work, you should also have an alternative) constructively. 

Let’s see how it plays out - but it’s a good dialogue between Planning/BPP and riders right now re Cypress.  They’re considering feedback from riders when they can and it’s making a difference!

Great News thank-you for the update.

March 24, 2022, 12:39 p.m.

Cypress Update:

Any quick-hit examples of feedback being considered, or topics currently under discussion?

March 24, 2022, 1:48 p.m.

I will let those working hard on the  official plan (DWV Planning and it’s consultants) finish their final and release when they’re ready. 

I posted the update because I’ve heard so much negativity about the development - and I wanted to present an alternative view. The development is going to have major implications for Cypress riding, especially in the area around the first switchback, but those who are planning it all out are indeed listening to the concerns and feedback from riders. They have invested their time (and money) in finding compromises to lessen the impact as much as reasonably possible.

March 24, 2022, 2:44 p.m.

I heard the new pub patio will right beside the landing for Brutus and BPP has hired Caleb to huck backies off it daily.

March 24, 2022, 3:48 p.m.

Caleb is following the money!!!!

March 25, 2022, 8:02 a.m.

Cypress Update:

The bike trails that end at or cross the new graded walking path 100% need signage explaining that these are bike-primary descending trails. I've encountered clueless people a few time scrambling up Roach Hit. The encounters were friendly enough despite me skidding to a stop to avoid turning some kid into hamburger. It's super dangerous as it is.

March 25, 2022, 8:12 a.m.

Agree. It’s been reflected already. I’ve told people hanging out on the metal bridge to relocate many times and that they should not be exploring up that trail with their toddlers.

Signs are coming.

I think that riders need to slow down above the bottom. Signs are one thing but we might see a  corral or something also.

Last edited by: Ddean on March 25, 2022, 8:22 a.m., edited 1 time in total.