Building on Neds

Feb. 6, 2003, 8:12 p.m.

I went down Neds for the first time in awhile. Seems that there is some building being done (I think I read something here about that).

Thought I'd give my $0.02 worth -

The little skinny to wide A-frame after the first logride/huck or ladder bridge was fine the way it was. I wished it had been left alone (not that I ride it anymore). If an easier line over the log was needed (and I'm all for it) a seperate (additional) wide A-frame would have been better. For many people it stood as the first skinny A-frame ride to try. Took me 3 tries (and 2 wipeouts) the first time I tried riding it. That's what I loved about Neds - it pushed my limits back then and let me try and try things again and again. There are already 2 easy ladder bridges and one easy small A-frame on Neds so the reason for the change was purely for others to be able to ride over it (and that's great) but again I wished a NEW one was created, rather than destroying the original challenging one (I don't ride it anymore but friends of mine who are still learning tried it almost the first time they came to it).

Now I'm not sure what's planned for the last ramp/huck area but hopefully it's not messing with what's already present. I think I heard someome was trying to build a something like they have at whislter on the huck. Considering it's less than 4 feet high that doesn't really work. If it's just an option to get off before the huck that's great (like the log ride before that one). The Whistler thing is a nice idea but should be something completely new and bigger so it would work better.

Unless people (en mass) complain about something already built on a trail (usually because it needs work or wasn't thought out too well) it should be left alone. New stuff can be added if it makes sense or offers another line (easy or harder depending on the trail and current line(s)).

The quality of the work though is very good. And it is a reminder for me to get out and complete the frame I had planned last year on Neds over the mudpit (ooops!).

Feb. 6, 2003, 8:17 p.m.

i haven't done neds in months…

last time i did it neds was really harsh and rocky… murder on the knee's… haven't done it since… the jump over the logs near the end owns…

i haven't seen anything built there after november…:rolleyes:

CHRINN

Feb. 6, 2003, 8:20 p.m.

if u want something done the way U want it, build your own trail lol. its the builders choice, he can do what he wants

Feb. 6, 2003, 8:22 p.m.

Originally posted by TREV
**i haven't done neds in months…

i haven't seen anything built there after november…:rolleyes: **

Work started in December.

There was an issues with that skinny to roll down and it was taken out by the builders the day I worked there. I had a good chat with them for a half hour about there work. They wanted to improve the ramps then go on to rock work. I think Ones name was Rob but I can't member the others name?

The last drop on the trail will have a tranny not a step down ladder whistler style, that was planned for the bigger 5 foot beside the new gap but the builders decided not to make it.

Both the builders agreed the ramps were in needof repair and worked on that first, now they are done that and are going to do rock and drainage work. I haven't been up on Ned's to talk to them in the past few weeks.

If you want to speak to them or gte in touch PM me.

2000 VPS Custom Travel sz. medium w/ Raceface BB, Blackspire chainguide, Axiom Seatpost, Tank hs… $400. Champagne Hayes w/rotors… $299/pair. Front 20mm Formula laced to 26" Doublewide w/ 2.8 Michelin and dh tube… $150. Rear Formula laced to 24" DX32 w/ XTR 8spd Cog, Highroller 2.7, dh tube… $200. 8spd XT derailler/shifter…$100. FUNN FatboySlim/Serial Killa 31.8 Combo w/ Odi Lockons… $100. Dainese Legs and Arms sz. med… $100. Magura HS-11's… $50/pair. Or take it all for $1200 and

Feb. 6, 2003, 9:31 p.m.

A-Frame?
Ramp-Huck Area?

I thought Neds was an XC trail?
:???:

Feb. 6, 2003, 11:32 p.m.

Originally posted by wilkez
if u want something done the way U want it, build your own trail lol. its the builders choice, he can do what he wants

Hey man, take it easy. Why don't you re-read his thread and think about what he is saying before you chime in with your witty reply. He is not slagging anything, he's offering his opinion and complementing the new work. His opinion was that he liked the little skinny. Then , if you read, m33p offered a helpful and informative response, something that will come if you think a bit before you post.

Being confrontational and disrespectful to other members is not the way this place goes! Lighten up.

Feb. 7, 2003, 1:10 a.m.

John Galuska and myself did the rebuild of the lower part of Ned's. We pulled the skinny out.

I'm a member of the NSMBA. One major goal of the NSMBA is to maintain the current trails. No new trails are to be built (deal with local goverment) until the current ones are maintained, and it is shown that they will continue to be maintained. No one is working on Ned's, and the NSMBA is not going to be performing any trail days on it in 2003. However, it is the most ridden trail on the North Shore. John and I "adopted" the trail since a lot of the woodwork is past its life expectancy, and we wanted to give back to the trail system we enjoy so much. In the end, we replaced almost every rung on the bottom because they were rotting. We also strengthened up a few areas where the ladderwork was flimsy.

There were a couple small items that were changed. The first one was the first roll over on the middle of the top S log ladder. The rungs on the roll over were rotted, and the part dropping off the log was very steep. It had to be totally replaced, so we made it less steep. We saw a lot of people walking it because it was so steep, and I've seen a few endos on it. It can still be used to launch, or can be rolled by the beginner riders. Experience riders can do the log ladder. In the end, that part flows better for everyone, and is safer.

The second item changed was the roll-off on the first S log ladder. It was totally rotted out, and had to be rebuilt. We decide to move it from its original location to aout 20 feet further down the log. This was done so anyone wanting to ride the log but not do the drop at the end would have more log to ride.

The last change was to the skinny you mentioned. The ramp off the log from the skinny had to be replaced. People were trying the skinny and crashing when it was slippery. A number of people commented on how they've crashed on it. A ramp up was put in place as it a) makes it a lot easier for less experienced riders to get over the log and therefor keep flowing on the trail, b) it wasn't slippery, and c) it can be used to launch instead of using the ramp to the left which points very close to the trees on the left.

Everything else was repaired or replaced as is.

We could easily have made a lot of major changes, but chose instead to fix what was broken and leave things as is. The changes we did were trivial - the only noticeable one was the replacement of the skinny. It was our decision to do it in the interest of making that section of the trail flow easier for beginner riders, and to be safer for beginner riders. More experienced riders can (and usually do) launch off of it.

One more change is planned for the bottom section. Well, not a change, but an addition. We plan on putting a tranny on the drop at the very bottom of the trail (the one on the left that comes off the long log ride). Many riders of the trail asked for that, and we thought that would be a useful addition. The framework and rock gathering has been done; only a couple hours needs to be put in to complete it.

After that, we plan to fix the structures at the top (ladder bridge at the very start of the trail, and the first a-frame that's missing rungs). That will conclude woodwork on the trail, at which point we can work on drainage, filling in some bad ruts so that less experience riders won't have to be going over the handle bars when they encounter deep rolls, and fix a couple sections where erosion is quite noticeable.

If you look at the other trails on Seymour, you'll see a lot of changes or additions added. Our goal was to stick to the "maintain" rule as closely as possible. When done, Ned's should be healthy for some time, with good flow and less dangerous areas.

After all that work with virtually zero changes in layout, if missing one little skinny ruins your ride, then I apologize… :rolleyes:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 7, 2003, 9:35 a.m.

Awesome work guys!

I reminded Jeremy about the Drainage flaps… Hopefully he'll get to them soon.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 7, 2003, 9:41 a.m.

Loss of the skinny A-frame doesn't ruin my ride, as I said I don't ride it anymore as I prefer the ramp now. Why I felt it was disapointing was that beginners (I use that term losely because technically it's a single black diamond so really it's intermediate but beginners are always going there - often becaus they have friends who are more advanced) had a short skinny to practice on. Yes it could be slippery, that's why I thought having a third option of a wide A-frame would have been better. But that's just me.

As I said, I like the work done as it's built to last.

Much of the wood on the logride has been replaced multiple times, the new wood looks like it will actually last. I met Chris who did the orignal work on the logride and hucks (he lent me some tools to work on the part of Neds I did while he did work on another part of the trail).

As for the new tranny - that's good. No complaint. Thanx for the update and all the work.

Feb. 7, 2003, 9:52 a.m.

keep up the good work guys. A tranny at the end of the trail would be wicked as the landing for that drop can be pretty flat. I have seen some nasty wipeouts on it and that would be better with a "schlayer" style runout or a pure tranny.

Feb. 7, 2003, 9:54 a.m.

Originally posted by switch
John Galuska and myself did the rebuild of the lower part of Ned's.

I rode Ned's last Saturday and I was really impressed with all the work that was done to it. Now that I know who was involved I'm not surprised.

The way Ned's is now I think it is one of the best trails we have because it allows such a wide range of riders to have fun on it. The drop and launch options at the bottom of the big S log ride are great….the tranny (for the launch) looks just about perfect. The people who were hitting it (and I watched a bunch) barely flexed their suspension on the landing… to me that means it is pretty dialed.

I can see why that trail gets so much use….. it rocks!

Good job guys!

Click Me

Feb. 7, 2003, 10:08 a.m.

Thanks Boys. That section flows better than ever.
So many diffferent lines to choose from.

I am glad the skinny got changed. It was kind of odd the way it was. The "apparent" easy line had no roll down on the back side and left beginners to endo off of it. The skinny was pretty sketchy and slippery to come around that corner with speed. (Although I just jump the wider ladder anyway.)

Trannies on both drops woiuld be cool. The mroe important one being the last drop, as it stands now the drop is to flat (or eroded ditchlike, rooted landing :lol: )Some simple rock work tranny would be very cool.

The drop higher up the trail that drops over the sideways log (4-5 footer) could stand some tranny work as well. Getting kinda rough in there.

Drainage would be cool but I know you are waiting on flaps.

Biggest eye sore…the switchback right before your buffed up log. Erosion has won the battle in conglomeration with heavy braking. There is a disasterous inside line that is eroding so much it looks like it will take the corner with it soon. The outside line is knarly so people just skid through the eroded inside line. That is going to take some work.

Cheers guys, thanks for maintaining that bad boy…Ned's is a staple rip for the shuttlers. I for one appreciate all the hard work.

Thanks Rob.
Thanks John.

I owe you a beer or 2…:)

Dec 2006 photo contest winner "Best Ass Shot"

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Feb. 7, 2003, 10:11 a.m.

Originally posted by Barry
**A-Frame?
Ramp-Huck Area?

I thought Neds was an XC trail?
:???: **

dude… neds is like the fastest down-hill trail on seymore.. and maybe fromme… it is super rocky and rutted… that trail is all about line choice… we need to do a trail day and fill in some ruts…:rolleyes: …

CHRINN

Feb. 7, 2003, 12:57 p.m.

Originally posted by JSinclair
Biggest eye sore…the switchback right before your buffed up log. Erosion has won the battle in conglomeration with heavy braking. There is a disasterous inside line that is eroding so much it looks like it will take the corner with it soon. The outside line is knarly so people just skid through the eroded inside line. That is going to take some work.

I am hitting Neds this weekend, would rock collecting for this section be helpful? I read in the trail maintenance section that someone was thinking of building a roman road here. My friends and I will collect some rocks and hopefully get the ball rolling……keep up the great work.

Feb. 7, 2003, 1:06 p.m.

John (vps sucka) the nsmb legend has been doing work on that trail.

superheros
I like bikes