Bobsled Grand Opening Sat Sept 25

Sept. 17, 2010, 2:17 p.m.

Please join us at 11am on Saturday September 25th for the official opening ceremony on Fromme Mountain for the opening of Bobsled.

This is our opportunity as a community to show up in force to let the DNV know we appreciate their hard efforts in upgrading the existing trail network on Fromme.

Come one, come all! At 9am, we will host a final trail buffing to get it prep'd for the Mayor's inaugural run at 11:30, following the official ceremony.

Style it out! From 11:30 on, we will be taking pro shots of riders on Bobsled that you can download from the Nsmba site for a minimum donation.

BBQ from 11am on!

The DNV has asked us to ensure everyone is mindful of the parking restrictions on Mountain Highway.

More information here

web: nsmba.ca
email: [email protected]

Trails for all, trails forever.

Sept. 17, 2010, 2:36 p.m.

Working til 2 can't get a pro photo :( Hopefully there will be food for me to eat after!

nobody is this dumb.

Sept. 17, 2010, 2:48 p.m.

Helllllllll Yeah going to be there.

Sept. 18, 2010, 12:43 p.m.

hope someone can get a video of the Mayor's run down Bobsled

and then send it to Monica! :fruit: :nono:

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Sept. 19, 2010, 2:01 p.m.

and then send it to Monica! :fruit: :nono:

Read email wrong… see below.

Make sure everyone who goes thanks the DNV/Mayor for their support.

Sept. 19, 2010, 2:22 p.m.

I don't think that will be necessary… according to an email I have been forwarded she is going to be there protesting along with more people (she hopes).

is that for real? FFS!

Sept. 19, 2010, 3:26 p.m.

is that for real? FFS!

Ha ha ha I seem to have read it wrong. She is encouraging other people to go and protest but she will not be there because she has been protesting the "fromme fiasco" for years. Sorry about that… I think I was a little too entertained reading the email.

Here is the email. If someone wants this down I'll be happy to oblige.

As some of you may already know, by now - two new mountain bike trails were cut into the Mountain View Park wetland and upland area, with total disregard to the environmental assessments of the area. Plus, the bike trail that silts the Red legged frog breeding pond will not be decommissioned after all. Instead, DNV has put up new trail signage there, pointing the way for mountain bikers and brave hikers who will have to share the trail with speeding bikers (it is labeled "multi-use")!

The ceremony celebrating the completion of the new Bobsled trail could be protested by those with the gumption to do so. (Bobsled is a raceway trail for bikes and could also become a motorized off-road trail if the dirt bikers take a gander to it.) Several other trails have been built over vernal pools and swamps in the area over the past six months! Conservation groups have been too silent about it. We get the forests and wetlands we deserve, I guess. Not for the lack of my efforts over the past several years.

Mt. Fromme forest has been "unofficially" commercialized and privatized by this $800,000 federal "economic stimulus" grant project, still ongoing…The silence from our local conservation groups over all this mountain biking sprawl has allowed this to happen. Some environmentalists have even supported this project on Mt. Fromme!

Whether you attend this (or not) to protest it, or support it (?) - I, for one, will not be there. I have already protested this fiasco on Fromme for several years - it is your turn now. This event will be in the news! What will be said about this "celebration" will be determined by what our local environmentalists do about it. Take care, and good luck.

-Monica Craver-
(Abandoning the fight for protection of Mountain View Park wetland and upland area, Upper Lynn Valley. Nothing to save, anymore - the damage has already been done.)

Sept. 19, 2010, 4:01 p.m.

I for one will be there to make sure the Mayor and DNV know they have my support.

I wonder how many nay-sayers will be there, very few if any I suspect.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Sept. 19, 2010, 4:03 p.m.

When she says she isn't going to be there…is that like when she said she was "retiring" from her fight against mountain biking?

Sept. 22, 2010, 9:41 p.m.

Monica stops complaining? I doubt that very much. Someone should buy her kid a mountain bike!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Sept. 22, 2010, 10:34 p.m.

It'll be great to celebrate the awesome level of support from DNV. Kudos to all involved.

Sept. 23, 2010, 10:31 a.m.

Great work guys! Can't wait to hear if there is a summary of all the work on Fromme over the summer and how this has followed the Alpine Study so many stakeholders were a part of.

From my estimates it seems we have:

3 existing trails actively maintained by DNV -
Bobsled, Baden Powell, Crippler Bridge.
Work done to benefit all users and new riders.

Also the closures and consolidation of braids on many of the trail exits and areas below the Baden Powell.

It would be great to get it out to the non - biking community that there have been trail losses, no trail gains, just improvements to existing trails.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 23, 2010, 10:33 a.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica craver
As some of you may already know, by now - two new mountain bike trails were cut into the Mountain View Park wetland and upland area, with total disregard to the environmental assessments of the area. Plus, the bike trail that silts the Red legged frog breeding pond will not be decommissioned after all. Instead, DNV has put up new trail signage there, pointing the way for mountain bikers and brave hikers who will have to share the trail with speeding bikers (it is labeled "multi-use")!

The ceremony celebrating the completion of the new Bobsled trail could be protested by those with the gumption to do so. (Bobsled is a raceway trail for bikes and could also become a motorized off-road trail if the dirt bikers take a gander to it.) Several other trails have been built over vernal pools and swamps in the area over the past six months! Conservation groups have been too silent about it. We get the forests and wetlands we deserve, I guess. Not for the lack of my efforts over the past several years.

Mt. Fromme forest has been "unofficially" commercialized and privatized by this $800,000 federal "economic stimulus" grant project, still ongoing…The silence from our local conservation groups over all this mountain biking sprawl has allowed this to happen. Some environmentalists have even supported this project on Mt. Fromme!

Whether you attend this (or not) to protest it, or support it (?) - I, for one, will not be there. I have already protested this fiasco on Fromme for several years - it is your turn now. This event will be in the news! What will be said about this "celebration" will be determined by what our local environmentalists do about it. Take care, and good luck.

-Monica Craver-
(Abandoning the fight for protection of Mountain View Park wetland and upland area, Upper Lynn Valley. Nothing to save, anymore - the damage has already been done.)

New trails? Where?

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 23, 2010, 10:35 a.m.

From my estimates it seems we have:

3 existing trails actively maintained by DNV -
Bobsled, Baden Powell, Crippler Bridge.
Work done to benefit all users and new riders.

also the Cedar trail bridge north end of trail completion and Roadside Attraction rebuild.

DNV's been busy this summer! Great work!

Sept. 23, 2010, 10:36 a.m.

And I'm sure the silt in the pond is coming from the new gravel path in MV park. Throw some more stones monica - you might break all your windows.