When war is required

July 25, 2008, 12:44 p.m.

I am not a fan of war, but there are times that the free people of the world need to send our armies in to save the innocent. I will warn you, that reading this will make you angry, frustrated, sad, and feeling powerless…

link

July 25, 2008, 12:58 p.m.

i have no idea what to say after reading that

July 25, 2008, 1 p.m.

I hope at least canada has the compassion to send some peace keepers to kill those deranged warlords.

There is no excuse for that kind of corruption and hatred.

July 25, 2008, 1:12 p.m.

To those who have told me that peace can be obtained without violence, I ask how you can stop something like this.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

July 25, 2008, 1:21 p.m.

There is no excuse for that kind of corruption and hatred.

There is no excuse for the UN to sit around with their thumbs up their asses. Screw peace keepers, I want the most ass kicking MFers we have to take war to their doorstep. This just keeps happening, and we never show up for these people that pray for us to come.

It's simple, the UN should have (if they don't already) a failed state watch list, and if there is any evidence of ethnic cleansing we move in whether it is state sanctioned or just out of the state's control. Not after years of debate, but tomorrow. Why do we spend billions on planes that can land teams anywhere in the world if we don't use them for this?

July 25, 2008, 1:23 p.m.

There is no excuse for the UN to sit around with their thumbs up their asses. Screw peace keepers, I want the most ass kicking MFers we have to take war to their doorstep. This just keeps happening, and we never show up for these people that pray for us to come.

It's simple, the UN should have (if they don't already) a failed state watch list, and if there is any evidence of ethnic cleansing we move in whether it is state sanctioned or just out of the state's control. Not after years of debate, but tomorrow. Why do we spend billions on planes that can land teams anywhere in the world if we don't use them for this?

Well said.

There are teams just waiting to roll into this kind of situation; it must kill them to do nothing when the evidence clear.

July 25, 2008, 1:29 p.m.

Well said.

There are teams just waiting to roll into this kind of situation; it must kill them to do nothing when the evidence clear.

When I was at university I had a guy try and tell me the Holocaust wouldn't have happened if we had TALKED to Hitler. He said all killing was wrong, and killing to stop killing isn't going to solve anything. There are enough people in the public to keep the politicos afraid, and thus they won't do anything.

Or like I've heard other assholes say: "It's just Africa".

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

July 25, 2008, 1:33 p.m.

When I was at university I had a guy try and tell me the Holocaust wouldn't have happened if we had TALKED to Hitler. He said all killing was wrong, and killing to stop killing isn't going to solve anything. There are enough people in the public to keep the politicos afraid, and thus they won't do anything.

Or like I've heard other assholes say: "It's just Africa".

Apparently he never heard of Neville Chamberlain.

July 25, 2008, 1:55 p.m.

When I went to college I had a roommate who's whole family has been murdered and only he managed to run away. He spent 8 years in different countries of Africa, learned a number of different languages and ended up living with me in Wales, UK. He still had pictures from childhood and just hearing his stories was hard. The priorities of our lives are put in perspective and all of our problems really fade in comparison.

Long story short, I've given this some thought over the years. If I had the power what would I do? Would I seek those animals out and beat them every day while providing best medical care just to keep them alive? I feel they deserve it, and then maybe send a message to others so that they are now afraid and never think about doing such crimes. Would I imprison them for life? Would I publicly execute them?

More often than not my thoughts are violent, I can't stand the idea that somewhere, even if very far away, some innocent kid is being tortured for no reason. Problem is, none of the methods I described will accomplish what I want as an end result. What do I mean?

Say I did go on a mission, had an army of solders and killed "suspects" in the most atrocious ways. Those killed wouldn't repeat the crime but those living - close relatives - would. They would never forgive me and even blame the same victims I was trying to protect. It would be a never ending war with no one winning and all losing. Moreover, had I worked up the guts to inflict the pain onto another human like I described above, I wouldn't be me anymore, I would be just as much a monster as they are. It is terrible, terrible situation.

The only solution that I can think of is a semi-peaceful. If we can help those who are abused financially and perhaps with some weapons and medical care they would be better able to protect themselves. Next attack would be met with a fight and slowly it would stop. The big hole in my argument, however, is what if the ones that are hurt seek revenge and we gave them power? Only help combined with education can help. The reason why I said semi-peaceful is that I would still want to catch the leaders of the militia and lock them up for life, to do that some violence will be necessary.

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

July 25, 2008, 1:59 p.m.

The only solution that I can think of is a semi-peaceful. If we can help those who are abused financially and perhaps with some weapons and medical care they would be better able to protect themselves. Next attack would be met with a fight and slowly it would stop. The big hole in my argument, however, is what if the ones that are hurt seek revenge and we gave them power? Only help combined with education can help. The reason why I said semi-peaceful is that I would still want to catch the leaders of the militia and lock them up for life, to do that some violence will be necessary.

Kosovo was like that. Take weapons away from the Serbs to keep them from killing Albanians, and the Albanians turned around and started revenge killings on the Serbs. No wonder this stuff takes generations to work out.

July 25, 2008, 2 p.m.

Time to learn some politics - the UN ends up sitting around because China, Russia, UK, France and US have veto's on the security council - so unless action is in ALL of the member states best interests - nothing happens. It's usually the US who says "no" to most aggressive humanitarian missions.

Canada has been a "guest" member six times - same as columbia and india. Brazil and Japan have been on the SC more than Canada.

intersting read here: http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/sudan/2006/0112lessons.htm

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 25, 2008, 2:01 p.m.

I am the first to admit naivety when it comes to sociology BUT:

If I saw a guy perched in a school clock tower with a gun shooting a bunch of students, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot him.

To me, a surgical assault waged against militant warlords is no different.

July 25, 2008, 2:02 p.m.

Kosovo was like that. Take weapons away from the Serbs to keep them from killing Albanians, and the Albanians turned around and started revenge killings on the Serbs. No wonder this stuff takes generations to work out.

Yep, but all I am trying to say is that a rushed action like was suggested "tomorrow" can't and won't do what really needs to happen. I don't have a magic solution and it pisses me off that I don't but the ones being suggested are worse IMO. No matter how you look at it, it will take a long time to work it out.

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

July 25, 2008, 2:03 p.m.

creepy article. makes me sick to think any human being could do such a thing to another. i can never imagine that kinda shit or even wish it on my enemies.

makes all of my problems seem so insignificant and silly. or i guess i should say that it makes me feel selfish for thinking i have problems when there's this kinda stuff going on in the world.

July 25, 2008, 2:11 p.m.

makes all of my problems seem so insignificant and silly. or i guess i should say that it makes me feel selfish for thinking i have problems when there's this kinda stuff going on in the world.

that was pretty much my thought as well