upcoming federal election

Jan. 30, 2015, 5:51 p.m.

Because unfettered access to firearms has worked so well in the USA.

And because requiring some minimal regulations and not allowing unnecessary assault rifles equals "taking our guns away".

This whole "I'm protectin' my family" schtick is delusional.

There is no unfettered access to firearms in the USA. If there is it is through the black markets, and those are the same in Canada. All those regulations equate to pieces of paper a gun owner chooses to update and carry when transporting their firearms to obey the law. They don't protect anyone. There is nothing stopping and unlicensed driver in an uninsured car from getting into an accident except themselves.

I bend over backwards to obey asinine laws and restrictions that have no impact on anything to enjoy whats left of my hobby. ARE YOU going to be happy to insure and register your bicycle because some douche bike messenger causes too many accidents downtown?

And by the way, the RCMP arbitrarily did prohibit 12 000 guns last year that those owners obtained legally. I have one of those. It was the conservative government that have gave us an amnesty so we can't be charged with 3 year minimum jail sentences(for our legally obtained property) until this cluster fuck is sorted out.

/rant.

Jan. 30, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

There is no unfettered access to firearms in the USA.

Yeah, right…..

"As of August 2013, 17 U.S. states require background checks at gun shows.[34] Seven states require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, New York, Oregon, and Rhode Island. Four require background checks on all handgun purchases at gun shows: Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Six require individuals to obtain a permit that involves a background check to purchase handguns: Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, and North Carolina. The remaining 33 states do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows in any manner.[35][36][37]
Federal "Gun Show Loophole" bills were introduced in seven consecutive Congresses, in 2001 (H.R. 2377), 2004 (H.R. 3832), 2005 (H.R. 3540), 2007 (H.R. 96), 2009 (H.R. 2324), 2011 (H.R. 591), and 2013 (H.R. 141). None passed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 30, 2015, 10:56 p.m.

I love pipelines, too.

Jan. 31, 2015, 4:55 p.m.

Yeah, right…..

"As of August 2013, 17 U.S. states require background checks at gun shows.[34] Seven states require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, New York, Oregon, and Rhode Island. Four require background checks on all handgun purchases at gun shows: Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Six require individuals to obtain a permit that involves a background check to purchase handguns: Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, and North Carolina. The remaining 33 states do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows in any manner.[35][36][37]
Federal "Gun Show Loophole" bills were introduced in seven consecutive Congresses, in 2001 (H.R. 2377), 2004 (H.R. 3832), 2005 (H.R. 3540), 2007 (H.R. 96), 2009 (H.R. 2324), 2011 (H.R. 591), and 2013 (H.R. 141). None passed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

I can't just throw cash at people and get a legal gun in the states. If I did, that would not be legal…. If its not legal, its black market. Access to illegal guns in Canada is also unfettered.

Its the same here. If your great grand pappy passes away and leaves his stocked gun cabinet for the family to deal with. Your access to those firearms is "unfettered" and you could do whatever you wanted with them, doesn't make it legal… Regulate all you want, it's up to the individuals involved to choose to obey the law.

For the record, I don't personally know any gun person here that is against our federal licencing for firearms ownership, its a great idea and it works for us. Its the regulations and hoops we have to jump through (to use property we already legally own) under the threat of being prosecuted and or jailed.

Jan. 31, 2015, 6:20 p.m.

I care more about legal weed than guns. And on that end the conservatives are completely an utterly ass backwards

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 31, 2015, 6:27 p.m.

I care more about legal weed than guns. And on that end the conservatives are completely an utterly ass backwards

Don't forget Prostitution and how they created new laws after the Supreme Courts decision.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 31, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

Don't forget Prostitution and how they created new laws after the Supreme Courts decision.

They've pretty much fucked up everything.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 31, 2015, 7:11 p.m.

They've pretty much fucked up everything.

Especially with their new anti terrorism bullshit. Cowards.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 31, 2015, 8:01 p.m.

There is an online poll at the Globe and Mail. The questions pertain to whether or not the respondent believes that Canada is better, worse or has remained the same on a number of issues under Harper's leadership. After approx. 110000 responses, the results are 90+% in the camp of " Canada is worse off". I can only dream of these numbers translating to the next Federal election.

Jan. 31, 2015, 8:13 p.m.

under the threat of being prosecuted and or jailed.

Do we know how many Canadians have been jailed from the scenario above?

Jan. 31, 2015, 8:14 p.m.

There is an online poll at the Globe and Mail. The questions pertain to whether or not the respondent believes that Canada is better, worse or has remained the same on a number of issues under Harper's leadership. After approx. 110000 responses, the results are 90+% in the camp of " Canada is worse off". I can only dream of these numbers translating to the next Federal election.

A more telling poll would be results from NatPost.

Jan. 31, 2015, 11:47 p.m.

Do we know how many Canadians have been jailed from the scenario above?

I do not know, but I don't appreciate the lingering threat either. And the likely hood of ending up in jail over a paperwork offence is actually low, even though it is a "Manditory minimum sentence of I think 3 years", I don't need any of that on my record. Part of the conservative common sense firearms act will help us not become criminals.

Jan. 31, 2015, 11:51 p.m.

I agree, but for weed if your not being a dumb ass the cops generally just take it and nothing happens. For the most minor paperwork offense when it comes to items I already legally own costs me dearly, that gets my attention right now.

Yes Heir Harper is a war mongering robot, but the company that programmed him probably has their face on both sides of the coin. And I don't think the Shiny Pony is the answer. As well some in the Harper Regime should be forced to disarm IEDs in Afganiraq to understand how they are fucking over Veterans. Or at least just listen to them.

Feb. 1, 2015, 6:27 a.m.

You do know that they cancelled the Heads of State Death Match years ago right?

So why is there so much hate for Trudeau (who I believed to be Fluffy the Hamster)? I am curious to really know why besides comments about his hair. (this is a general question for the haters, not directed at Flatch)

I don't hate Justin, I just don't find him to be a strong leader. Seems to have his head in the clouds. Ask yuorself, if his name were Justin Smith would he be leader of the lib party. I doubt it.

Feb. 1, 2015, 6:30 a.m.

You do know that they cancelled the Heads of State Death Match years ago right?

Anyone tell Vlad that, he seems to be training hard.