The Decline of Vancouver.

April 23, 2016, 6:17 p.m.

Its called spending less than you earn.

Come on man, that only applies to trustifarians right now. Unless you are bequeathed a down payment, us peons entering the workforce are still paying off our student loans, let alone saving for a down payment.

Our place of prominence right now is due to lucky timing. Yay leaky condo's.

April 23, 2016, 6:29 p.m.

Well, we didn't save for our downpayment while living the life on Robson Strasse. We lived in a small city with reasonable housing, saved up some equity and then moved here.

Buying a 30 year old NV townhouse for twice the price of our brand new ONT split level with land was pretty painful in 2003. Not so bad now. Even friends who paid $800k 4 years ago are sitting pretty now. They also started small and built equity.

The key is to not lease a new car every three years, not go out for dinner and drinks every day and never build up any credit debt.

But I'm just a crotchety old man. Don't listen to me.

April 23, 2016, 6:33 p.m.

Example one was the young guy I saw with a gorgeous WRX and a carbon bike on the back. I'll bet he can't afford a down payment.

April 23, 2016, 6:45 p.m.

Well, we didn't save for our downpayment while having to live the life on Robson Strasse. We lived in a small city with reasonable housing, saved up some equity and then moved here.

Buying a 30 year old NV townhouse for twice the price of our brand new ONT split level with land was pretty painful in 2003. Not so bad now. Even friends who paid $800k 4 years ago are sitting pretty now. They also started small and built equity.

The key is to not lease a new car every three years, not go out for dinner and drinks every day and never build up any credit debt.

WTF, this is NBR. We're all crotchety old men.

We grew up in a time where post-secondary was a social program, not a financial one. There were many book publishers instead of one. A families grocery bill never approached $500.

Times are different.

The only way to buy here today is if ma and pa drop you some coin for the entry fee.

April 23, 2016, 6:48 p.m.

You're right. Vancouver is not an entry point to the housing market. Isn't that what I said?

April 23, 2016, 6:54 p.m.

1624 listings under $300k.

If you can't save up $30k for a down payment you probably can't afford a mortgage anyway. Of course, a starter home is not going to have a lawn or a white picket fence in this town, and it won't be waterfront or downtown.

April 23, 2016, 6:56 p.m.

Well, we didn't save for our downpayment while living the life on Robson Strasse. We lived in a small city with reasonable housing, saved up some equity and then moved here.

And brew your own beer! oh right still waiting for the savings to kick in from that investment.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

April 23, 2016, 7:04 p.m.

If you can't save up $30k for a down payment you probably can't afford a mortgage anyway. Of course, a starter home is not going to have a lawn or a white picket fence in this town, and it won't be waterfront or downtown.

I lived by there when we moved here. Have you ever been? It's delightful.

April 23, 2016, 7:09 p.m.

I lived by there when we moved here. Have you ever been? It's delightful.

Admittedly I should have sorted high to low. The point was there are still plenty of places to start building equity, even in the lower mainland. I also agree I probably wouldn't live there either.

April 23, 2016, 7:11 p.m.

And brew your own beer! oh right still waiting for the savings to kick in from that investment.

Kidding, right? I used to spend $100/weekend on beer. Now its really painful to buy a six pack a month to supplement my $40, 5 gallon batches.

April 23, 2016, 7:37 p.m.

80th and king George…sweet neighbourhood :lol:

April 23, 2016, 7:48 p.m.

Example one was the young guy I saw with a gorgeous WRX and a carbon bike on the back. I'll bet he can't afford a down payment.

Are you kidding? Those were needs, man.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 23, 2016, 7:49 p.m.

K, I sorted high to low. Some sweet two bedroom apartments out there for $300k.

Yeah, you're all screwed.

April 23, 2016, 8:45 p.m.

Kidding, right? I used to spend $100/weekend on beer. Now its really painful to buy a six pack a month to supplement my $40, 5 gallon batches.

apparently the force is strong with you…

I on the other hand, All grain 3 vesel electric setup, with a four tap fridge for kegs….
Gotta make alot of beer to pay that shit off. Plus I still buy beer to broaden my palate, and idea base….

Choices right!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

April 23, 2016, 9:55 p.m.

Strong, it is.

Still using the same two pots I started with and a free wine fridge ferm chamber and few newer bottles friends have left.