spectacles

July 2, 2012, 2:08 p.m.

So I need some reading glasses, having never had them before I am a newb. Does one simply go to a GP for a referral to optometrist, who in turn writes prescription where I am free to take to a supplier of my choice? Also are clearlycontacts.ca any good? Prices seem pretty good. Thanks in advance mystical nbr optical guru.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

July 2, 2012, 2:11 p.m.

No you need only go to an optometrist who will test and provide you with a prescription that you take to an optician. Or you can visit London Drugs and try on readers and see what works.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 2, 2012, 2:19 p.m.

I've never used them but my co-worker raved about clearlycontacts.ca and has been very happy with their services.

I picked up my latest pair of glasses at Eye Candy Optical in Kits. I was very happy with the service.

July 2, 2012, 2:19 p.m.

Check CBC MarketPlace for the episode they did on how peeps were getting ripped off for eyeglasses.

Something about charging x-tra (illegal) for the pupil width distance unless you bought you peepers from the dispenser……….

My 'ol lady went down to the corner Opti at 8th and Commercial as spectacle newb, they wanted $700.00+ for a pair I got her to cancel and sent her to Factory Optical 7th and Ash (where that gangsta' got wacked awhile back walking his doggie) where she got comparable for about 4 hun.

Oh and they assume you want plastic lenses 'cause they're "lighter" but I always get hardened glass way less finicky use regular tissue to wipe 'em.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 2, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

Or you can visit London Drugs and try on readers and see what works.

^^^This. $15 for a pair that does not look too naff. They correct from from 1.25 up about 3.5, so if you are a novice old fart (I presume) you should be good with the lower ones. I have bought about 6 pairs, one for the office, one at the computer, one bedside table…you get the picture. Better than dropping $100's of something that may look a little trendier, but something you may loose/sit on, etc, IMHO.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 2, 2012, 8:12 p.m.

After 30+ years of getting glasses from my optometrist's dispensary, I tried Clearly Contacts last year and have been quite happy with the frame and lenses I got. I odered 5 pair in different styles and sent back the 4 I didn't want. Price was less than half what I paid for my last pair. Frame quality is slightly below what I've had in the past, but for the price I have no complaints, and the lenses seem as good (scratch resistance, coatings, etc.) as anything I've had before.

If requested, your optometrist now has to provide your pupilary distance.

July 2, 2012, 10:46 p.m.

No you need only go to an optometrist who will test and provide you with a prescription that you take to an optician. Or you can visit London Drugs and try on readers and see what works.

This works for most people, but if you have widely spaced eyes or narrow ones it might
get tiresome if you need to read for a while. I only need glasses for far away, but if
I'm wearing contacts and need to read I need glasses and for that the el cheapos are perfect.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 3, 2012, 8:11 a.m.

Or you can visit London Drugs and try on readers and see what works.

Guy at work told me his doctor (GP) told him to try this first.

July 3, 2012, 8:38 a.m.

once u get your prescription buy your glasses here:
http://goggles4u.com/

stupid cheap and the glasses r awesome. the wifey gets em from here and if I ever need them then I will to.

July 3, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

sizing for glasses is really important, and where its your first pair of glasses at very least try on a bunch of different shapes and styles and take note of the sizes.

July 3, 2012, 9:15 a.m.

Costco has a surprisingly good optical department, it's like $75 for an eye exam then you pick your lenses and glasses. One thing to watch out for if you go to LensCrafters is that they will automatically tack on a $35 "eyeglasses protection plan" pseudo warranty to your bill unless you specifically ask them to remove it.

The person above who said that some eyeglasses place wanted $700… 700 is fucking nuts, I wear a -6.75 to -7.50 prescription which requires high index 1.74 lenses with anti-glare coating + transitions type auto changing sunglass shading, and a pair of glasses for me with good quality frames is usually $325-$375.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

July 3, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

Often a big part of the cost is a designer frame. Paul Smith for example charges $200 - $300 for the frame. Nikon lenses are costly too. I splurge on Oakley lenses and I find that they do make a difference. I have a set of Split Jackets with prescription, progressive photochromic lenses and the vision is fantastic. Makes my computer much more useful because I can see it, versus contacts.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 3, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

IME titanium frames may be expensive but they don't break, the spring loaded hinges are good on any frame

if you tell the optomitrist you are diabetic he will cut his 70$ fee in half to 35$ because you are suposed to get the full dilate your pupils exam every year

not many glasses fit me and the frames that I have found to fit me the BEST are ray ban wayfarers ( I have 3 pair) which at 178$ not that expensive as sunglasses go and they are a really well made frame from italy … retro cool

July 3, 2012, 12:02 p.m.

I am currently using the London Drugs magnifiers for reading, while they do work, the strain on my vision refocusing when looking away from the type to something else is an annoying strain IMO. I keep them on the end of my nose, trying to simulate bifocals. They're 2x strength, tried some 1.5's and they felt better. Old man tells me to bite the bullet and get some bifocals.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

July 3, 2012, 12:11 p.m.

Keep in mind an optician can put lenses in just about anything. If you find old frames in a sock drawer somewhere you can use them. Alternatively, if you've got some Oakley shades you like they can most likely pop lenses in them.

Most importantly is to buy hipster glasses so you can fit in with all the non conformists.