rusty bimmer

Sept. 24, 2012, 3:06 p.m.

I had some rear struts for my Passat that had an adjustable perch… that kind of thing exist in Honda world?

flickr

Sept. 24, 2012, 3:10 p.m.

you bet!

Sept. 24, 2012, 5:07 p.m.

OK guys, it's time my 97 Civic got some new shocks. Of course, that means it's time for springs as well. Coilovers are probably overkill, though I am a bit of a snob about stance and might not be happy with a non-adjustable setup. Thoughts or suggestions?

I have some ST coilovers ready to go into my VW this weekend. They are made by KW but half the price. 4 year warranty and under a grand. Worth checking out.

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/st-honda.htm

Going to install this weekend, I will review over the next few months as I put on about 1000km+ per week

Sept. 24, 2012, 5:12 p.m.

I seem to remember having a set of coilovers that were KW's cheap brand, but I can't recall the name. It wasn't ST, though.

flickr

Sept. 24, 2012, 5:14 p.m.

these ones are zinc plated and the threads are quite large, meaning the won't rust easily and they are easy to adjust once they do start to grime up. I got this company to match an online price, they dropped $150 and had them delivered to my door in a couple of days. great service.

Sept. 24, 2012, 5:24 p.m.

Did you order them from HPA? They actually look quite similar to the ones I had. Plastic collars with set screws. The set screws stripped out right away but I never had problems with the height changing itself. I moved that car up and down quite a bit too.

flickr

Sept. 24, 2012, 7:04 p.m.

Hey morgan if your going with a spring/shock combo my KW's had the adjustable rear perch as well.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Sept. 24, 2012, 7:06 p.m.

Investigating a line on the ST stuff.

Has something changed, and Ground Control coilover sleeves are actually acceptable now? The Honda crowd seems to like them with either Konis or Tokicos for autocross and daily driver duties.

flickr

Sept. 24, 2012, 7:12 p.m.

Put some real sway bars on it. On my old Civic, I went with a a 25mm front and 20mm rear. So much fun.

Anything with less than a two inch drop should be fine (no issues with speed bumps). I had Eibach prokit, and I think they were about 1.5". Did a great job of getting rid of dives without making the ride harsh.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 24, 2012, 7:15 p.m.

Yes, I ordered from HPA. It is hard to find their review threads because most forums don't allow two letter searches and so the threads, unless stickied, can be difficult to dig up (even through google).

Sept. 24, 2012, 7:16 p.m.

Since I've been pondering this a few hours, I'm thinking I will probably end up with coilovers after all. I'm way too much of a stance snob to get stuck with an estimated lowering number.

flickr

Sept. 24, 2012, 7:29 p.m.

Put some real sway bars on it. On my old Civic, I went with a a 25mm front and 20mm rear. So much fun.

Anything with less than a two inch drop should be fine (no issues with speed bumps). I had Eibach prokit, and I think they were about 1.5". Did a great job of getting rid of dives without making the ride harsh.

I have the Eibach Pro kit in my car right now and my front spring has snapped in under 4 years. The ride was great, though.

Since I've been pondering this a few hours, I'm thinking I will probably end up with coilovers after all. I'm way too much of a stance snob to get stuck with an estimated lowering number.

There are many cheaper coil overs now that have 3-5 year warranties. Search JOM, Ultimo, Raceland, Rokkor, and there are many more.

I just went to check the ST's and they do have the plastic collar with the set screw. I plan to set and forget, so I really could care less about going back up once I get it down.

Sept. 24, 2012, 8:04 p.m.

You snapped a spring? WTF? You doing Hardtack on the hood of the car?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 24, 2012, 8:05 p.m.

it's almost impossible not too with lowering springs, most of them bind and over time snap.

Clunking is for retards.

Sept. 24, 2012, 8:35 p.m.

I drive, others talk about it. ;)