real estate market picking up?

March 28, 2009, 10:06 a.m.

But could your friend do his job somewhere in smaller town BC? Some of us don't have that luxury, unfortunately. If so, i'd be the fuck outta here.

I know some dudes telecommuting to jobs in vancover ,some folks writing software ,folks who write, folks doing eviro lobbying,

If you can make it stick you can buy an Ok house for well under 200K ,an office is 200$ a month to rent ,walk to work ,and generaly have a DIFFERENT style of life.

20 minutes to the ski hill or just skin up from town ,no crowds

its kind of nice walking down main and meeting all kinds of friends [HTML_REMOVED] characters ,sure its bbeautiful around here I can look outside and see 5 mtn ranges but I can't recreate all the time ,I would say its the great sense of community … even the drunks derilicts [HTML_REMOVED] wierdos have their place

a month ago a local family with not alot of $ had a medical prob where the newborn had a hole in its heart , everybody got togetehr and booked the driftwood hall , a free band ,kids and families made foods,giving services,arts [HTML_REMOVED] crafts which were sold at auction ,and I did my part drinking the 8$ beers … it was young hippy families raising 5500$ for another young hippy family

If I lived in vancover I would have to get a job , instead I have worked maybe 4 months in 2 years just for the yucks ,I can do whatever I want when I want ski ,paddle , bike ,drink,smoke, hang out … last week on the chair one of my ski buddies claimed I got my own little Waldens Pond going here

Even if you beat the rat race yer still just a rat

March 28, 2009, 10:21 a.m.

I think it's missing life.

Not only the suburbs are dead but downtown itself is actually quite lame and really expensive for what you get. I guess if you have a family things change but basically there is nothing interesting about Vancouver.

Vancouver is like a beautiful young woman. Very nice to look at and fun at first, but there is nothing beyond that and becomes quite boring after a while. The people are actually quite similar to this. Everyone tries to be so pc that there is nothing interesting in them.

It's hard to put it into words but for example, European cities are full of life. It's just different. People are different. People can be quite strange and rude, but at the same time they can also be much more honest and genuinely helpful.

Of course, it's possible that Europe itself would become boring after a while and then craving clean pristine nature would become priority again.

Pedro

different strokes for different folk. Ive lived in a few places traveled to lots of em and Vancouver is the top of my list. If it was just me and not me and my wife and kids and Job, id probably be in the Kootneys or Courtney or smokin fatties with XXX in smithers but it aint just about me.

I pull out the southwest BC backroads mapbook and see more adventure within 4 hours than I can experience in a lifetime.

March 28, 2009, 12:06 p.m.

basically there is nothing interesting about Vancouver.

i know there shouldnt be right and wrong when it comes to opinions, but you are wrong

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

March 28, 2009, 12:11 p.m.

i know there shouldnt be right and wrong when it comes to opinions, but you are wrong

I can't believe I agree with the grumpy old man, but GW is right.

March 28, 2009, 12:15 p.m.

Actually, you are right. East Hastings is actually very interesting. And there might be a few more, but you get the picture regarding what I would consider interesting.

Other than that, the natural beauty of Vancouver is that, beauty, but not interesting.

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

March 28, 2009, 12:19 p.m.

Actually, you are right. East Hastings is actually very interesting. And there might be a few more, but you get the picture regarding what I would consider interesting.

Other than that, the natural beauty of Vancouver is that, beauty, but not interesting.

Pedro

So why are you still hanging around in a vancouver based forum? Is it to tell us how shitty vancouver is?

March 28, 2009, 12:20 p.m.

Pedro

yeah, vancouvers beauty sucks the big one (mhm concrete)have you been to the west coast of van island. its fucking amazing.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

March 28, 2009, 12:25 p.m.

So why are you still hanging around in a vancouver based forum? Is it to tell us how shitty vancouver is?

I am actually surprised it took this long for a question like this.

Btw, I didn't say that Vancouver was shitty, that's just you getting all defensive. I said it was overpriced for what you get.

On the other hand you are right. I guess I am out of here…

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

March 28, 2009, 12:41 p.m.

might just be that Vancouver is not for you. rather than the city that sucks.

I can think of lots of more expensive places that I wouldn't want to live.

March 28, 2009, 6:43 p.m.

Whats that have to do with anything? Useless.

Vancouver is all business. Its a pretty uptight city, and it shows. People can be snobby, and mostly kept to themselfs.
But at the end of the day it feels like an awsome balance of city life without the stress of big city life.

I find Pedros opinion very curious, because I feel that alot of people share it. Lots of times I heard, " vancouver is amazing for 3 months at a time." But at the end of the day I cant think of many places I rather live, not anywhere else in Canada.

March 29, 2009, 12:10 a.m.

If you're looking for culture and city life with a bit of outdoor recreation on the side, then Vancouver will disappoint. The food is still pretty good :)

March 29, 2009, 7:26 a.m.

Btw, I am into mountain biking and skiing and I am still bored.

Pedro, I do agree with good chunk of your opinions on the current market conditions, but this statement really stands out. Don't mean to offend, but boring people get bored. The rest constently find things to enjoy. If they can't find it in their current environment/city, they change.

[mini rant]
BTW, I was wondering how long it would take you to bring up Europe as model. For better or worse, this ain't Europe. Accept it for what it is and either go with it, actively try to change it, or move on.[/mini rant]

March 29, 2009, 7:33 a.m.

The only thing I miss about Vancouver is good weed. It sucks only having shitty hash to smoke.

www.natooke.com

March 29, 2009, 8:40 a.m.

chuny monkey is teh rights

if you're bored then your boring and you'll be bored anywhere.

there are people in frikkin winnepeg that live awesome lives, and IMO people in vancouver are so lucky a lot of them don't even know it

i'm not say that from a "best place of earth" angle, just a "pretty frikkin cool" angle

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

March 29, 2009, 8:43 a.m.

chuny monkey is teh rights

if you're bored then your boring and you'll be bored anywhere.

there are people in frikkin winnepeg that live awesome lives, and IMO people in vancouver are so lucky a lot of them don't even know it

i'm not say that from a "best place of earth" angle, just a "pretty frikkin cool" angle

sooke is in bc so there fore sooke must be the best place on earth

see there you go i just poked a huge hole in that license plates logic.

Ha Ha! Made you look.