Programs for logging Statistics.

May 4, 2010, 4:08 p.m.

I realize it's a long shot asking on here, but figured I may as well try. I'm looking for a program a little more advanced then a spread sheet. I want the program to be able to identify and extract data to create graphs based on several variances including locations, time of year, price, condition, etc. Pages and pages of spreadsheets to flip through are getting just too inefficient.

I don't know if anything exists for this.

May 4, 2010, 4:09 p.m.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

May 4, 2010, 4:12 p.m.

You can't do that with Excel?

May 4, 2010, 4:26 p.m.

A program called R.
http://www.r-project.org/

Takes a little learning but it is useful.

May 4, 2010, 4:28 p.m.

What program are you currently using? I've worked with access in various work sites. It is a great basic program that allows you to track of types of variable information and then co-relate them into reports etc. User friendly and importing past data from excel is a snap.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

May 4, 2010, 4:36 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2362887]What program are you currently using? I've worked with access in various work sites. It is a great basic program that allows you to track of types of variable information and then co-relate them into reports etc. User friendly and importing past data from excel is a snap.

Pencil and paper. Everything will have to be transferred onto a computer, which is why I want to make a good choice for a program so I don't have to have it done twice.

May 4, 2010, 4:39 p.m.

Excel is a pretty powerful program when it comes down to it. The place it starts to fall apart is when you have multiple users running off the same spreadsheet. If it's just you excel should do the trick.

Bicycles!

May 4, 2010, 4:51 p.m.

what's it worth to you?

The program, depends on it's capabilities. I'm not looking to hire someone. It wouldn't make sense since I need to be able to use all the data myself whenever is needed 24/7. As well as be able to change or create different graphs for whatever is required.

May 4, 2010, 4:52 p.m.

Definitely start with Excel. You can always move to something else later. I work with lots and lots of data and there really isn't much it can't do. There are definitely cases to be made for Access/R/SPSS/SAS/etc. but if you're coming from the pencil and paper world, I'm not exactly sure how you would fall into a situation that requires one of those programs.

If you're looking to "future proof" yourself, spend some time figuring out what your data columns are going to be and use appropriate conventions to keep your data consistent.

May 4, 2010, 4:53 p.m.

A program called R.
http://www.r-project.org/

Takes a little learning but it is useful.

i'll second R. It's tough to learn, hell i have to consult a guide a most of the time, but its a very powerful program

May 4, 2010, 4:53 p.m.

Another vote for R though it can be tricky to get started with… You can get a free trial of SPSS if you only need it for limited use…and it's way more user freindly

May 4, 2010, 5:05 p.m.

I totally agree with the Excel…I work in a high tech company, and all my analysis about inventories and demand supportability I run it in EXCEL…

Like REVEREND said, you are coming from the Troglodyte world of statistics and data gathering world…EXCEL is the most user friendly tool to start off…Access later on if you want something really fancy.

Excel is a math tool…was not design to store large amounts of data, but sure it can handle pretty much everything that does not requires to much users at the same time and large calculations from that data…

Carlos Gutierrez
Costa Rica Freeride & Downhill

May 4, 2010, 5:08 p.m.

Excel.

Learn to walk before you run.

May 4, 2010, 5:10 p.m.

http://spreadsheets.google.com

it's pretty much EXCEL, but free and you can access your docs anywhere.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 4, 2010, 6:05 p.m.

The program, depends on it's capabilities. I'm not looking to hire someone. It wouldn't make sense since I need to be able to use all the data myself whenever is needed 24/7. As well as be able to change or create different graphs for whatever is required.

im thinking he knows a program and wants to know what you are willing to give for such knowledge.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"