New laptop time - NCIX and MSI?

Nov. 4, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

So I'm after a new laptop as my current one was bought cheaply 7 years ago and is running like a arthritic 70yr old

Whilst I don't currently NEED a super high spec computer, I want something which will be fairly future proof as I tend to keep hold of things for a long time

Anyway, I've seen an promising MSI at NCIX which looks like a great deal (equivalent spec from other outlets/manufactures are at least another $200-300).

I've never dealt with NCIX before (and their web site is terrible) and I've never heard of, or seen a, MSI laptop so my questions are:
(1) how are NCIX with delivery, warranty and returns?
(2) whats the build quality like on MSI?

I'm assuming they are web/mail order only so I won't be able to touch [HTML_REMOVED] feel before purchase…

Nov. 4, 2013, 11:28 a.m.

Head to Vancouver. They have a shop on Broadway. You might be able to mess around with it.

Nov. 4, 2013, 11:41 a.m.

So I'm after a new laptop as my current one was bought cheaply 7 years ago and is running like a arthritic 70yr old

Whilst I don't currently NEED a super high spec computer, I want something which will be fairly future proof as I tend to keep hold of things for a long time

Anyway, I've seen an promising MSI at NCIX which looks like a great deal (equivalent spec from other outlets/manufactures are at least another $200-300).

I've never dealt with NCIX before (and their web site is terrible) and I've never heard of, or seen a, MSI laptop so my questions are:
(1) how are NCIX with delivery, warranty and returns?
(2) whats the build quality like on MSI?

I'm assuming they are web/mail order only so I won't be able to touch [HTML_REMOVED] feel before purchase…

NCIX is fantastic. I've built four computers in the last month, ordering solely from them. Just make sure that the item you're ordering is in stock. I've yet to have an in-stock order from them take longer than two days to arrive at my door, most arriving first thing the following morning (via purolator). Their customer service is fantastic and you can order by phone if you'd like to fire a couple of questions at them.

Faaaar faster than Newegg, which usually takes four or five days to arrive if it's in stock at their Canadian warehouse, most orders taking over a week as they're shipped from their US warehouse.

I've never had a MSI computer, I have used their Motherboards in several builds, they're decent quality, well priced and so far have been reliable.

Nov. 4, 2013, 11:44 a.m.

Head to Vancouver. They have a shop on Broadway. You might be able to mess around with it.

Unfortunately their web site indicates they've only got a couple in stock at the Richmond warehouse…

Nov. 4, 2013, 11:51 a.m.

Unfortunately their web site indicates they've only got a couple in stock at the Richmond warehouse…

Their return policy.

What if I'm dissatisfied with an item I've bought?

NCIX.com offers a 15-day Satisfaction Guarantee on many items that we sell. Due to supplier and manufacturer restrictions, some opened items will be non-refundable, and any return is subject to prior approval from NCIX.com. Items that are unopened and still in its original shrink wrap and sealed, can be returned without restriction, within 15 days of purchase, unless marked as unreturnable. All items returned to us must be shipped pre-paid.

Items eligible for return are subject to a 15% restocking fee, and if approved by NCIX.com would be eligible for exchange, merchandise credit or refund. Due to the volatile nature of computer prices, items will only be refunded at the current pricing at the time of return. Software must be in its original box and unopened (still sealed in its original shrink wrap). Defective software will be exchanged with the same title (subject to availability).

Satisfaction Guarantee excludes CRT monitors, LCD monitors, netbooks, notebook computers, mobile PCs, mobile phones, handhelds, PDAs, digital cameras (and accessories), projectors (and accessories), printers, graphics tablets, headphones, software, consumables (i.e. printer cartridges, CD-Rs, and blank media), televisions, consumer appliances (i.e. microwaves, refrigerators, etc.), customized computers, mouse pads and special order items.

In other words, better make sure it's the lappy you want before pulling the trigger.

Nov. 4, 2013, 12:04 p.m.

Haven't bought any puters from NCIX, but have bought just about anything else from them, network gear, NAS, drives, cables and on and on. Never had a problem. Yep, the Broadway shop has a pretty long line-up of comps and laptops for you to touch and feel. They are a national chain so anything they don't have locally can be ordered for pickup at your nearest store. Usually only takes 2-3 days if shown in stock and any of their warehouses.

+1 for ncix imo.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 4, 2013, 1:17 p.m.

Have you checked out Memory Express? They have a brick[HTML_REMOVED]mortar down in Richmond, by King George skytrain station, I think. Bonus, if NCIX's price is lower than ME, ME will price match it, to a degree.

The laptop I'm writing this from, I bought from them

Nov. 4, 2013, 6:01 p.m.

I'm a pretty big fan of NCIX. Just bought all the components for my pc from them. They have a bunch of locations around the lower mainland. I noticed the one in coquitlam could even be considered average joe friendly (lots of displays and sales people). I generally price match what I want, then have it shipped to my local location for pickup (often available same day or next day).

They are both very aggressive at price matching or beating, but I think memory express might have the edge on this saying they will undercut by 25% of the difference.

Use www.shopbot.ca to quickly scour the interweb for the lowest deal (not 100% but pretty good).

Laptops are hard to order without seeing, but the MSI boards and cards I've had all seem pretty high end usually and they have good driver software too.

Nov. 4, 2013, 7:26 p.m.

Also check out Memory Express in Richmond. Their store is fairly big. I bought a digital camera from there and the staff was very well organized and professional.

Nov. 4, 2013, 8:51 p.m.

is this for real? a major chain buying used computer stuff?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/flipyourtech.aspx

Nov. 4, 2013, 9:11 p.m.

True … and Best Buy does also (though FS and BB are owned by the same parent). But they lowball the hell out of stuff. My three year old blackberry came back as "no value" on the estimator. Really? Not even 5 or 10 bucks?

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 4, 2013, 9:56 p.m.

Looks like Ill have to trawl around a couple of their stores to try and find some (any?) MSI laptops. Don't wanna drop $$$ without at least having a quick look and feel….

Nov. 4, 2013, 10:11 p.m.

…blackberry came back as "no value"…

It seems that a lot of people have been thinking that lately.

Nov. 4, 2013, 11:47 p.m.

What are you looking for? I got somewhat of a sleeper laptop - Acer V7 Aspire. New Haswell i5 processor for much better battery life, touch screen and more.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=83180

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 5, 2013, 3:28 a.m.

On Broadway, NCIX has two stores that are a block apart. One looks like a typical NCIX store with lots of accessories on display. The other, across from Future Shop and one block east, is more of a display store. They have a lot of laptops on display.

I recently purchased a Zenbook from NCIX. Their large display of laptops simplified the choice process. Other places like FS or BB have pretty good displays.

Last week I went to NCIX on Broadway to purchase an SSD drive for the Zenbook. It was late Friday night, and they didn't have it in stock at the store. I could pick up in a few days at the store, or they said they'd ship it to my home for free. I chose the shipping option, and it arrived on Tuesday morning via courier. So I can attest the fast shipping that jbazett wrote about.

As for laptops that may meet your need, look for deals. Stores may have great pricing on a specific device that other shops do not carry. For example, My brother wanted a more powerful laptop with a better display. BestBuy had a 15" Asus laptop with a full HD IPS display and an I-7 3630QM processor for $900. Fast drive, lots of RAM, plays Bluray, discrete graphics, 4.5lbs, pretty good sound, great keyboard layout, etc. The processing speed is great and is similar to desktops. The display is awesome; small fonts are very sharp and colour rendering is very good. Great for either working with photos or just browsing the web.

Personally, I'd never purchase something from FS that I might have to warranty. They are absolutely horrible. NCIX has way more competent service personnel, and staff.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells