New fangled mirrorless cameras

Jan. 15, 2014, 6:38 a.m.

I've got the sony nex6. The 16-50 lens that comes with it isn't the highest quality but it is super compact. I went with sony because I wanted an APSC size sensor giving me a crop factor of 1.5 instead of 2. I picked up the 16mm compact lens and the x.75 magnifier which will give me a nice wide 18mm equivalent as I really like to shoot wide angle. No matter what make sure you get one that has an electronic viewfinder - shooting with just the screen on the back in most lighting is terrible.

A few nice features of the sony include the wifi to phone ability which is handy to allow you to see what the camera is looking at on your phone while you stand in the picture. If you get a cheap adapter you can hook up your old Nikon or whatever lenses and use the feature that highlights what is in focus for your manual focus needs.

I take it with me ski touring and mtn biking. It sits in a case I mount on my shoulder strap so I can draw it out at need.

Jan. 15, 2014, 6:54 a.m.

now do you have something to contribute or not?

Nah, not really. Don't know shit about mirrorless. I've had my DSLR for about 5 years and still like it.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 15, 2014, 6:58 a.m.

Nah, not really. Don't know shit about mirrorless.

me either. I did order the NEX 6 I was going to order anyways before I made the thread.
at least NSMB helped me know my options.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 15, 2014, 8:59 a.m.

It help me if that helps you feel better about life ;)

We have a good dslr, and it's just too big to take anywhere, so I almost never use it. I've been using my phone, and an older Pentax waterproof point-shoot, but they both are mediocre at best.

I want compact, but good.

Jan. 15, 2014, 5:56 p.m.

We have a good dslr, and it's just too big to take anywhere, so I almost never use it.

I ended up in the same situation, never took the camera because I didn't want to haul it and a few lenses around.

One thing people often overlook is the size of the lenses. Sure, some of the DSLR bodies are getting smaller but APSC/Full frame lenses are still a fair bit larger and heavier than some of the mirrorless offerings, especially when you start to look at faster lenses.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

Jan. 15, 2014, 6:24 p.m.

It help me if that helps you feel better about life ;)

We have a good dslr, and it's just too big to take anywhere, so I almost never use it. I've been using my phone, and an older Pentax waterproof point-shoot, but they both are mediocre at best.

I want compact, but good.

This was exactly what happened to me. I have big hands so the newer generation of compact DSLRs just made my hands hurt and I ended up using a pro-sized DSLR. Felt and worked great but it was incredibly heavy and eventually I never used it.

This is like when we had big bikes and small bikes. We wanted small bikes but they couldn't be trusted to deliver the goods when shit got real. Kind of the same with point-and-shoots and DSLRs.

Now we have micro 4/3s cameras, which are analogous to modern slack 6" AM bikes. Technology allows them to deliver the function we used to have to expect from a DSLR but in a nice light package.

The only real hurdle for me with the GF5 was getting used to shooting without a viewfinder. Turned out to not be an issue for me (maybe because it shoots so fast) and I'm glad for the camera being that much more compact.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 15, 2014, 8:33 p.m.

^^^ nice analogy

Jan. 19, 2014, 6:22 p.m.

RX100 is pretty nice camera. The Alphas have a very good sensor. Sony also knows how to do video.

I have an RX100, and have absolutely loved it for the last year. Unbelievably responsive, exceptional image quality.

Am comparing it to DSLRs and other cameras I've owned. It's hands down the best compromise for performance and portability.

the teh

Jan. 20, 2014, 11:43 a.m.

So, a bit late to this party but here's my opinion.

When you have an idea what you want and a short(-ish) list, just go to London Drugs and buy the thing. Take it to locations and situations you are likely to shoot in and take some (many!) test shots using different settings.

Then take it back to London Drugs and swap it for the next on the list. Rinse and repeat until you've exhausted your list, each time carefully analysis the quality of the results on YOUR PC and MONITOR.

When you've get a winner, go back (if needed) to London Drugs and choose that one.

No amount in internet expertise* is gonna help until you've seen the results for locations that you've done

(* apart from mine, of course)

I used this process to test waterproof compacts about 6 months ago - on paper, all three I tested appeared very similar. In reality, under the shooting conditions that I will be using the camera, there was one winner both in terms of image quality and easy-of-use…

You don't have to use London Drugs of course, but they price match so there's no great advantage buying mail order…

Jan. 20, 2014, 7:30 p.m.

wow that's an awesome abuse of the system. I'm sure retailers love it.

Hey Bike shops, please allow me to do the same to your bikes! I'll bring them back after 29 days in great shape… i promise!!!

Jan. 20, 2014, 7:57 p.m.

Hey Bike shops, please allow me to do the same to your bikes! I'll bring them back after 29 days in great shape… i promise!!!

It's ok - cost is passed onto the consumer.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 20, 2014, 8 p.m.

Eh? This is what the sales rep in London Drugs suggested to me!

Jan. 20, 2014, 10:29 p.m.

Eh? This is what the sales rep in London Drugs suggested to me!

Talk about your soft sell!

Jan. 20, 2014, 10:38 p.m.

ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWrLhgiX74

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 25, 2014, 2:35 p.m.

Lol my computer is so shitty that it won't work with my new camera

Ha Ha! Made you look.