Mk5 Jettas

Jan. 28, 2013, 6:07 p.m.

those trannies are junk … she should be buying lottery tickets

I had to replace an abs sensor, front rotors [HTML_REMOVED] pads

Jan. 28, 2013, 7:04 p.m.

big question . . . why not step up to an Audi ?
I know Audi dealerships are few and far between in western Canada but (from my experience) VW dealerships can handle most mechanical issues with all but the latest Audis.

Audi's depreciate a lot more than VWs. Also, Audi parts are really expensive, even though some parts are interchanged between the two companies (used to be a lot more parts like that in the past).

Basically, you don't want to own a 10 year old Audi. Or Beamer, or Land Rover, Or Jaguar, or any high end vehicle.

Jan. 28, 2013, 8:03 p.m.

Learned to drive on a 2002 TDI 5-speed. Great cars!

I'm keeping my eyes open for a mk4 5speed tdi wagon with low km. They don't seem to exist on craigslist…

Bicycles!

Jan. 28, 2013, 8:23 p.m.

Aren't you guys afraid of the dreaded VW electrical Gremlins that seemed to appear with the MK4's and carried on from there?

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Jan. 29, 2013, 1:07 a.m.

Aren't you guys afraid of the dreaded VW electrical Gremlins that seemed to appear with the MK4's and carried on from there?

I had more electrical issues with my mk2 than with the mk5 I owned… although the issues were more entertaining than anything. Once the horn came on when I started the car and I had to pull the fuse to stop it. Plugged it back in a while later and everything was fine! Mechanically it was a tank though, the only non routine maintenance item it needed was a water pump.

I sold the mk5 to a buddy and it's been flawless for him ever since too. I will shortly be picking up a mk6 Golf (not really a fan of the new mk7 styling) so hopefully it's as dependable.

I don't know if we've just been lucky or what, but all of the VWs my family and I have owned over the years have been extremely reliable, although none of them have been automatics, and none were diesels either so I guess this isn't too relevant, hahaha! Either way, they've never needed anything other than routine maintenance and the odd worn out part. And contrary to popular belief, they are not as expensive to fix as some people would have you believe. Parts can be had for reasonable prices, and if you find a good independent garage and don't take it to the dealer for repairs/oil changes etc you won't get hosed on labour costs.

Jan. 29, 2013, 8:51 a.m.

Other than glowplug faults (replce them all[HTML_REMOVED] the harness,use contact enhancer) I never had any electrical issues are they showing up now that the MK4's are getting so old?

""I'm keeping my eyes open for a mk4 5speed tdi wagon with low km. They don't seem to exist on craigslist… ""

the 2003 jetta wagon is the last yr of the ALH so the most reliable and is considered the holy grail of TDi's which is why you don't see them, bascily there is a list of things that always wearout/go wrong which should be considered on a car that old if the seller has done them its money, I deffered maintenance issues on mine and left them for the next guy … the selling price reflected that choice

btw hub city motors in PeeG is not cheap but they are a VERY good dealer there are LOTS of TDi's in that city in spite of potential cold starting probelms up north, I have seen 3 TDi's in a row at stop lights

Jan. 29, 2013, 2:23 p.m.

Does anyone own one on here, that can give a little review of them?

I'm thinking of specifically getting a TDI.

But would be interested on others thoughts of the actual car regardless of motor

I've got a Mk6 Trendline+ and I really like it' it's been a fantastic car thus far with no issues. It's the first new car I've ever had.

My Mom has a Mk5 with 2.0T engine and it's been an awesome car for her. She loves it. It's got a great feel when I drive it. I wish I could've afforded a different engine than the 2.0, as it feels pretty sluggish after driving Mom's car…

Ride, don't slide.

Jan. 29, 2013, 5:07 p.m.

MK5's didn't have the 1.8T. They had a 2.5 or a 2.0T gas motor or the 1.9 TDI

Jan. 29, 2013, 5:32 p.m.

basically, you don't want to own a 10 year old Audi.

What if I own 2? :(

that is the most reatrded thing ever even a retarded would say thats retarded

Jan. 29, 2013, 6:01 p.m.

MK5's didn't have the 1.8T. They had a 2.5 or a 2.0T gas motor or the 1.9 TDI

2.0T, sorry. I'm not a big car guy, can you tell? :lol:

Ride, don't slide.

Jan. 29, 2013, 6:09 p.m.

Other than glowplug faults (replce them all[HTML_REMOVED] the harness,use contact enhancer) I never had any electrical issues are they showing up now that the MK4's are getting so old?

""I'm keeping my eyes open for a mk4 5speed tdi wagon with low km. They don't seem to exist on craigslist… ""

the 2003 jetta wagon is the last yr of the ALH so the most reliable and is considered the holy grail of TDi's which is why you don't see them, bascily there is a list of things that always wearout/go wrong which should be considered on a car that old if the seller has done them its money, I deffered maintenance issues on mine and left them for the next guy … the selling price reflected that choice

btw hub city motors in PeeG is not cheap but they are a VERY good dealer there are LOTS of TDi's in that city in spite of potential cold starting probelms up north, I have seen 3 TDi's in a row at stop lights

I figured that was it. Same reason I want one. I'll probably end up getting a mk5 at some point.

Bicycles!

Jan. 29, 2013, 7:08 p.m.

TDi can do some things a gasser can't like (bladder dependant) I once drove PeeG to vancover without stopping so one tank …pretty cheap

I have over loaded the car with 5 kayaks/kayakers and all their gear and driven pretty comfortably at 110kpm to the river altho we did take a big hit on fuel economy

PeeG -Vegas-PeeG for 340$ mind you that was back in 2004

Jan. 29, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

I figured that was it. Same reason I want one. I'll probably end up getting a mk5 at some point.

I would suggest you consider 2004-6 MK4 wagons as well. Over time, the BEWs with the Pumpe Duse motors have proven that they have less maintenance than the ALH's. The wiring gremlins were settled from getting the harnesses made elsewhere (same company as Toyota).

The ALHs typically give you the better mileage, but they have higher maintenance required - they have lift pumps, glow plugs, EGR issues, the intakes clog due to poor design, etc. Now this stuff is not hard to fix, if you can swing wrenches then you can save a tonne.

Some of the PD motors are known for cam issues, but the BEWs' cams have proven to be much more reliable than the MK5 BRM that was out for two years (2005.5-2007). The BEW has a crappy turbo, but adding a new turbo can lead to a few minor mods and some serious torque and fun to drive.

Jan. 29, 2013, 7:39 p.m.

is the HPFP in the CRD 6 grand by itself? or is the bill to fix it once it implodes itself 6 grand?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 29, 2013, 8:09 p.m.

the bill - but could be more.