Kayaking

Aug. 3, 2013, 9:27 a.m.

20$ is a good deal, I like to be making 20$ an hr cash, the shuttle I charge 250$ for on the Babine is 10-15 hrs of driving and lots pffucking around, I drive your car, store it at my house, pick you up 3-4 days later and it takes parts of 2 days

Kamloops is a great palce to live if you wana paddle WW, the thompson/clearwater/adams/shuswap have some grerat runs

IME its not unusal to have a 80% washout rate from a beginner WW paddling course cuz
ww kayaking is definatley NOT for everyone so if you don't gel maybe it means you are normal cuz a good number of the ww kayakers I have known over the years were quirky/eccentric to say the least.A guy I paddled with for number of year used to hit every nasty feature on a river laughing uncontrolably, would laugh all night in his tent, last I seen buddy was when I visited him on the pysch ward at PGRH … he was good paddler tho

I almost gave up WW 5yrs ago but still doing it and I still get nervous on some runs…thats why we do it

Aug. 6, 2013, 12:23 a.m.

Pavilion lake is awesome, I don't think i've ever seen water that clear. It was a regular stop for us after climbing in the Marble Canyon.

So ya, did that lake today…swimming too. The water clarity is unseen elsewhere around here!
Hey, you have any info on beginner rock climbing/hiking in/around Kamloops?(which includes Marble Canyon..it's 'only' 1.5 hrs from the Loops)….

Aug. 6, 2013, 7:51 a.m.

There is climbing in savona as well as marble, swing by true outdoors and cliffside climbing gym for info/practice. Kamloops has a small but dedicated climbing group and they are all pretty nice and helpfull.

Aug. 6, 2013, 8:32 a.m.

Zero interest in ever again being on the North Thompson below Rayleigh. From where we put in behind the Softball Park - to Rayleigh…great, but only 30min…not worth the 3+hrs that follow

In what way? …just up from Rayleigh is fun but not too intense?
And the rest of the way is boring? headwind? gravel bars? too little current?

(I'm thinking of canoeing with the fam…)

Aug. 6, 2013, 2:19 p.m.

Trained and competed at National Championships held in Kananaskis this past week.

Ooops, living vicariously thru my sisters kids again (they're from Chilliwack).

Aug. 6, 2013, 4:50 p.m.

http://kananaskisblog.com/kananaskis-river/2009/

yeah thats^^ a neat facilitiy you definatley want to watch the dailey planet vid to see what causes a rapid to form

the river loops around in a horseshoe shape so the distance between the beginning and end is just a short walk so its real easy to go back for another run, I was 1st there in 97 and the play waves were good the green tongue was pretty good for long boats back in the day but by the time I went back in 2006 the features had been washed out in a flood or sft, I don't slalom but I think the slalom course was still ok, it looks like they have since fixed the river

The Kan used to be dam controled so you had better be off the river when the water is shut off cuz it dropped pretty quick

Aug. 6, 2013, 5:58 p.m.

In what way? …just up from Rayleigh is fun but not too intense?
And the rest of the way is boring? headwind? gravel bars? too little current?

(I'm thinking of canoeing with the fam…)

I shouldn't sound so harsh about it actually. The short bit from the Softball park to around Rayleigh is dead flat water, totally safe. It's narrower, steeper banks, faster flow than further down….Slower, relaxing trip below Rayleigh…a head wind will take away from the experience tho. Gravel/sand bars easy to navigate.

Let me know if I can give you more details and options about where you can exit the river

Aug. 6, 2013, 6:36 p.m.

I wonder if the South Thompson would be better? It looks to be moving at a decent clip, at least further upstream; can't remember what it's like closer to Kamloops.

For whitewater, check into Liquid Lifestyles kayak school in Clearwater. As mentioned previously, there is a lot of good paddling in the Kamloops area, but get ready to drive compared to biking. It's a long season around there, too. You could potentially paddle quality whitewater from April to October, switching up the rivers depending on the month.

Aug. 6, 2013, 7:08 p.m.

Ya, it could be something decent from the South Thompson head at Chase down to ??? …from Valleyview back up quite a ways, it looks like a slow, straight shot (read, boring)

Aug. 6, 2013, 9:03 p.m.

Chase to Pritchard. Probably about 20km in distance. Easy to spot your take out. Store right there so you can drink beer and eat chips while you wait for the shuttle.

Aug. 6, 2013, 10:03 p.m.

You've paddled that stretch Crank? How long did it take? Class1 the whole way? The take out is at/near the Pritchard bridge then?…left or right side?

Thx!

Aug. 6, 2013, 10:24 p.m.

There is climbing in savona as well as marble, swing by true outdoors and cliffside climbing gym for info/practice. Kamloops has a small but dedicated climbing group and they are all pretty nice and helpfull.

Thx. Ya, the Daughter and I were definitely thinking about hitting up a climbing gym this winter…but we just started throwing in a short hike or two with our kayaking and biking…some noob climbing would be cool

Aug. 8, 2013, 4:16 p.m.

Cool idea for lakes and flat water: http://www.orukayak.com/products/oru-kayak

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Aug. 8, 2013, 6:21 p.m.

^ very cool indeed!