Kayaking

July 22, 2013, 1:12 a.m.

Who's in…at what level.

July 22, 2013, 7:20 a.m.

WW and touring

fading advanced

July 22, 2013, 7:26 a.m.

touring kayaking is the sport I do when my leg is broken or my achillies is torn. its a great way to go camping

toured desolation sound last year and had a pretty good time but white water looks like alot more fun

July 22, 2013, 9:16 a.m.

I will be doing a 3 week trip every spring summer which is getting to the limit of food you can carry , last year was a 3 week trip around .Prince Rupert, this year almost 3 weeks Kitimaat to Hartley bay around Campania island, next year probably the Kitlope

From here its just 4 hrs to the north coast, very close means also very cheap usually [HTML_REMOVED] 500$ and you notice afterwards there is a 3 week hole in your visa/ bank account where you spent no money

For the OP Kamloops is centraly located to a LOT of good WW… the north thompson, the Clearwater, the Adams, the Shuswap are some great rivers but I duno how you get started in kamy usually a club or find a local instructor is the best way to get safely on WW

July 22, 2013, 9:30 a.m.

when I blew my Achilles I had a season pass at the rental joint in deep cove.

the take away from that was to buy a power boat.

July 22, 2013, 10:10 a.m.

when I blew my Achilles I had a season pass at the rental joint in deep cove.

the take away from that was to buy a power boat.

whats the pass worth, not having to buy the boat/ the racks/ load/unload/store would be very convienient and how did sea kayaking convince you to buy a power boat??

the price of fuel must be cutting into some folks boating, I see lots of boats for sale in the marinas up here usually something with twin 454's

July 22, 2013, 10:21 a.m.

whats the pass worth, not having to buy the boat/ the racks/ load/unload/store would be very convienient and how did sea kayaking convince you to buy a power boat??

the price of fuel must be cutting into some folks boating, I see lots of boats for sale in the marinas up here usually something with twin 454's

400 bucks I think was the price of the seasons pass. got to try a bunch of different boats.

in the end tho I found it boring to go paddling for 2 -3 hours in the same area every time. probably went out 15 times. I could not have managed my own kayak as at the beginning of that summer my leg was in a aircast and I was on crutches. Desolation sound however was rad and I enjoyed the exploring new areas and camping on the small islands aspect of it.

still I love being on the ocean so the next year I bought a shitbox boat for 500 bucks fixed it up drove it all year and sold it for 1000 bucks the next year. gas was pretty cheap as it was just a 50hp on a 15 foot boat.

July 22, 2013, 10:37 a.m.

If you use it enough 400$ is not bad, way less hassle than dealing with yer own boat and also a good way to figure out what kind of boat you want

I regularly go out for a 2 hr spin on the local lake its good exercise, I stay close to shore where there is more to see

a 17 fit seakayak is 60lbs and at the limit of what I can handle on/off the truck alone, the last half of this last trip I was solo and so the only way to handle getting in/out of the water was to drag it over rocks [HTML_REMOVED] barnacles, I had babied that hull … it only hurt the 1st time

My ski bud kept going south, he was taking 2 months ending up in port hardy, awhile back they paddled from Smithers to Glacier bay in 3.5 months

my kid got the cheap 15 ft boat fixed it up,last fall he got the 19ft jet boat, who knows if the one foot itess will stop there but we are going fishing !

July 22, 2013, 10:42 a.m.

I might join the hollyburn sailing club its 500 bucks for your first year then 300 per year after that. shittier kayaking but they have SUP's (as does deep cove) and you can sail lasers which seems cool.

as a plus they have cheap family rates.

July 22, 2013, 11:40 a.m.

Sounds cool a good fam activity!

other than trying to get on the wave at tatlow falls I haven't SUP'ed as of yet and I think I would rather sit down but IMO any self propelled is just better for ya than running an engine

http://standupjournal.com/standup4greatbear-documentary/

We paddled alot of this area^^ that Norm [HTML_REMOVED] Brian paddled , Norm is a very accomplished SUP but Brian was not a paddler so he took a quick lesson form a local bro and they set out for Bella Bella

We stopped in at Hartly bay where the Gitga-at invited us to a traditional feast kind of a potlatch and I also got to whale point
cool area

July 22, 2013, 11:50 a.m.

SUP is alright. I usually go a few times a year with a buddy out in Deep Cove when I head over to town. Its weird as your legs get tired from standing for a few hours. I want to try some SUP surfing at some point, but I always just bust out the longboard and cheater 5 brah instead

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 22, 2013, 11:55 a.m.

Sounds cool a good fam activity!

other than trying to get on the wave at tatlow falls I haven't SUP'ed as of yet and I think I would rather sit down but IMO any self propelled is just better for ya than running an engine

http://standupjournal.com/standup4greatbear-documentary/

We paddled alot of this area^^ that Norm [HTML_REMOVED] Brian paddled , Norm is a very accomplished SUP but Brian was not a paddler so he took a quick lesson form a local bro and they set out for Bella Bella

We stopped in at Hartly bay where the Gitga-at invited us to a traditional feast kind of a potlatch and I also got to whale point
cool area

ive fished whale channel, that is a spectacular area.

July 22, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

looking at one of these for all rounder exercise, explore and fishing:
http://www.feelfreekayak.com/products/juntos/

WTF, Over?

July 22, 2013, 12:47 p.m.

ive fished whale channel, that is a spectacular area.

Yeah the fish camps are at the bottom end of whale channel and a lot of the guides are Gitga-at from Hartley bay

It was raining hard [HTML_REMOVED] completely socked in very low so I will have to take your word for it cuz I couldn't see shit

I camped in Home bay at the top end, on my way out a pack of humpbacks came in very fast around me chasing fish sounding/blowing hard …very cool

I stopped at whale point on the island side of whale channel to visit the whale research station which was staffed with a group of interns from all over the world (you know save the whale types who should pay more $ if they won't become mining engineers) they have hydro phones set up around the area to record whale sounds

July 22, 2013, 1:18 p.m.

If I lived on the coast I'd be doing a ton of Kayaking, few years ago did a few nice day trips around smugglers cove on the Sunshine Coast, really nice way to travel on the ocean but in a lake I'd prefer a canoe for some reason