Home Appliances

Dec. 5, 2021, 9:12 a.m.

Under no circumstances should you ever, EVER buy anything made by Samsung.

Unless you are a fucking idiot or your kink is utter and complete disappointment.

Dec. 5, 2021, 11:07 a.m.

For home appliances, agreed.  And lots of complaints on Samsung Members.

Dec. 5, 2021, 4:20 p.m.

alas, what modern appliances *aren't* total shit these days? even higher end gear is lucky to last a decade. 

aside - our (vintage) house came with a couple elderly appliances - a 70's maytag washer, and a 50's philco fridge - both running faithfully. we binned the washer for something more efficient (which proceeded to fry it's cpu within 5 years). similarly, the old icebox has been retired to beer fridge / keg duties, but is still running strong to this day - 70(ish) years later! 

they don't build em like the used to... (old man grumble)

Dec. 5, 2021, 4:41 p.m.

I don't remember ever throing out a major home appliance or paying someone to have them repaired, all mine are older ( 2 sets in a duplex ) and I just hack away at fixing them with on-line help,as long as the timer is Ok the rest of home appliance repair is pretty easy compared to alot of things I have fixed, in general the chi -chi stuff is gona break lots/ be hard to fix and require you call some asshole with a gaping plumbers crack to make the house call

which is something I can do myself

I think the thing with updating a fridge is the amount of energy it uses might make updating a good idea $$$ wise, IME  if you buy a cheaper fridge with the up/ down freezer/ fridge they run forever, the shit that is gona break is the chi-chi side by side doors/ icemaker/ water dispenser

front load washers are gona stink cuz of water/ soap residue in the door,

the heater coil is gona burn out in a clothes dryer or the drum belt will break  so you just replace  them

stove top Burners or oven elements are gona burn out, easy to replace

right now if i needed an appliance I would look at old used appliances off of FB market place

Last edited by: XXX_er on Dec. 5, 2021, 5:04 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Dec. 5, 2021, 8:41 p.m.

Both the dude where I buy my appliance repair parts & the salesman at the appliance store (honest guy) told me to keep fixing my old washing machine instead of buying new. The new ones are not half of what the old ones are.

Dec. 5, 2021, 11:01 p.m.

My wife and I splurged on a fancy Miele system that injects soap at what their German engineers have determined to be the critical time. Gotta say, my clothes have never been so clean. The thing uses a tablespoon of soap and gets stains out that have been there for years. Also the dryer condenses the water rather than blowing all the hot air outside. It saves a ton of energy and I don't have to clean my dryer vent. It came with a ten year warranty. Each piece weighs like 100lbs. Can't say enough good things about it.

Dec. 6, 2021, 9:27 a.m.

Avoid Frigidaire as well.  My house came with a new combo washer dryer and it was a PoS from day one.  The top loading washer was so deep I was the only one in the house that could reach the bottom to get the clothes out.  It broke within 3 years so we replaced it with an LG stackable set.  So far so good but I don't have high hopes for getting much past 5 years just because everyone builds garbage.  But it does notify me on my phone when a load is finished, so I have that goin' for me.

Dec. 6, 2021, 9:56 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

My wife and I splurged on a fancy Miele system that injects soap at what their German engineers have determined to be the critical time. Gotta say, my clothes have never been so clean. The thing uses a tablespoon of soap and gets stains out that have been there for years. Also the dryer condenses the water rather than blowing all the hot air outside. It saves a ton of energy and I don't have to clean my dryer vent. It came with a ten year warranty. Each piece weighs like 100lbs. Can't say enough good things about it.

Good to hear. I'm replacing my three year old Samsung's with them.

Dec. 6, 2021, 10:34 a.m.

As i remember all those older appliances ( kenmore, whirlpool, kitchenaid ect ) were made by one company and re-badged, I think it might have been GE ?

Maytag was suposed to be a cut above  but they havent been in a long time I'm not sure when any of it changed

Dec. 6, 2021, 5:47 p.m.

I would think the next gen of appliances could lower the bar further. Considering supply chain issues in respect to parts will mean manufacturers will be assembling new models with whatever they can get their hands on. Similar to how the car industry put out some shit products after the 2008 recession.

Back when I was kid Maytag used to be the gold standard. Their shit was bombproof. My brother still has the washer that was in our childhood home. That was back in the late seventies. Has been through its share of belts and a switch but still does it’s job! I don’t recall that it ever stank either.

Last edited by: FLATCH on Dec. 6, 2021, 5:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 6, 2021, 5:52 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

As i remember all those older appliances ( kenmore, whirlpool, kitchenaid ect ) were made by one company and re-badged, I think it might have been GE ?

Maytag was suposed to be a cut above  but they havent been in a long time I'm not sure when any of it changed

that's still the case (that we learned buying new appliances - apart from the fancy handles, our kitchenaid dw & fridge are identical to a couple other brands. all under the whirlpool banner).

Dec. 6, 2021, 6:04 p.m.

From Wikipedia:

The company markets its namesake flagship brand Whirlpool, alongside other brands as well including Maytag, KitchenAid, JennAir, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Hotpoint, Ignis, Indesit, and Consul.

Dec. 7, 2021, 3:54 p.m.

I think Kenmore is or was the "house brand" for Sears, and I believe their stuff was made by whoever gave them the best price at the time...  Several years ago I bought a stacking washer/dryer from them, which I was told were actually made by Samsung, and those machines were awesome...  I only owned them for a few years before we sold them when we sold our condo, but we had them when our kids were super young and we probably did 2 loads of laundry every day.

I can't say how they would hold up long term though.

Dec. 7, 2021, 8:21 p.m.

When my washer/dryer needed to be replaced 5yrs ago I decided that as a single guy it would just be cheaper to skip washing and just buy new socks/underwear as needed. It seems to be working out so far.

Dec. 7, 2021, 9:17 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

When my washer/dryer needed to be replaced 5yrs ago I decided that as a single guy it would just be cheaper to skip washing and just buy new socks/underwear as needed. It seems to be working out so far.

The Jack Reacher approach.  Nice :)