Healthy (and tasty) meal ideas...

Jan. 11, 2012, 12:15 a.m.

Stew is definitely good.

Here's my go-to meals:

Breakfast: Eggs, pemeal bacon, bagel, coffee or tea, sometimes fruit.

Lunch: Sandwiches or wraps with deli meat or leftover meat, lettuce, mayo and sauce.

Dinner: Salad, lean meat (beef/chicken/fish/pork, pasta with sauce or rice with soy, sometimes add an extra veggie, fruit and yogurt for dessert.

For dinner, bbq is good because some of the fat drips off and there's less mess to clean up. Also bbq veggies are delish.

Pretty unadventurous diet but it's relatively healthy and provides decent energy.

Jan. 11, 2012, 12:26 a.m.

last time I dropped some poundage, I stopped eating full dinners and would just snack in the evening. put out a plate of veggies and dip and some nuts and chomp on those. not saying it would work for everyone, but might be worth a shot.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 11, 2012, 1:06 a.m.

Quinoa, I put everything on that shit.

Jan. 11, 2012, 1:14 a.m.

10 lb Pale Malt Extract
18 AAU Centennial or columbus bittering hops
1 oz Willamette finishing hops
.5 oz Centennial or Cascade finishing hops
1 oz Willamette Dry hops
Ale Yeast

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Jan. 11, 2012, 5:36 a.m.

I'm cooking a huge batch of stew right now. I'm sure you can google stew recipes. You can decided what proportions of what to put in. Less meat or starches or more as desired.

this is pretty much what i do, except i do use a crockpot. basically stews and chilis of all sorts and serve over rice. i try to have some core ingredients on hand and mix and match. i am going to try some curries next as it's just different spices really.

carrots
celery
onions
jalepenos
low-sodium stock
bbq sauce
stewing beef
loads of garlic
ground buffalo
diced tomatoes
chick peas, kidney beans, black beans
split peas
lentils
rosemary,thyme,cumin,chili powder,bay leaves, anise, majoram, chili flakes, whatever
frozen peas and corn

Jan. 11, 2012, 7:06 a.m.

Anything can be made Asian

My main flavorings are

Ginger
Sambal
Garlic
Toasted seasame oil
Lemon juice
rice viniger

Anythning mentioned so far can be made exotic with these basic seasonings. Keep them in your fridge

Jan. 11, 2012, 7:50 a.m.

Meat slop

http://www.silverhydra.com/2011/10/meat-slop/

fucking awesome.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 11, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

Crockpot tropical chili.

2lb lean ground beef/bison (browned with liquid smoke and some carribean spice)
2 large cans black beans
1 large can kidney beans
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 large cans corn
2 red peppers
1 yellow pepper
1 can crushed pineapple
1 can mango - sliced
1 can papaya - sliced
1 can coconut milk
3-8 chipotle peppers, chopped down to a paste

Extra spice as required for your taste buds. 3 chipotles should be the min, it's just enough spice for a little flavour but shouldn't bother anyone. We usually do 5-6 and that's got a little kick but it doesn't override the other flavours.

Rinse the beans and remove extra juice from the tomatos, corn, and fruit. Put it in the crockpot on low for 8 hours, stiring every hour or so. At 4-5 hours, siphon off some of the juice that has risen to the top. Put this aside and let it cool. After about 7 hours, mix most of the extra juice (about 3/4 c worth) with enough cornstarch to make a thin paste. Add this to the mixture, it will thicken over the next hour so you won't have watery chili (I hate watery chili). Keep in mind this will require more stiring otherwise it might stick and burn on the bottom.

Freeze most of it in a series of single-use containers, take out as required.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Jan. 11, 2012, 3:25 p.m.

6pk of kokanee
crack and enjoy
can substitute kokanee for beer of your choice.

Jan. 11, 2012, 4:40 p.m.

Crockpot tropical chili.

2lb lean ground beef/bison (browned with liquid smoke and some carribean spice)
2 large cans black beans
1 large can kidney beans
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 large cans corn
2 red peppers
1 yellow pepper
1 can crushed pineapple
1 can mango - sliced
1 can papaya - sliced
1 can coconut milk
3-8 chipotle peppers, chopped down to a paste

Extra spice as required for your taste buds. 3 chipotles should be the min, it's just enough spice for a little flavour but shouldn't bother anyone. We usually do 5-6 and that's got a little kick but it doesn't override the other flavours.

Rinse the beans and remove extra juice from the tomatos, corn, and fruit. Put it in the crockpot on low for 8 hours, stiring every hour or so. At 4-5 hours, siphon off some of the juice that has risen to the top. Put this aside and let it cool. After about 7 hours, mix most of the extra juice (about 3/4 c worth) with enough cornstarch to make a thin paste. Add this to the mixture, it will thicken over the next hour so you won't have watery chili (I hate watery chili). Keep in mind this will require more stiring otherwise it might stick and burn on the bottom.

Freeze most of it in a series of single-use containers, take out as required.

Dried beans are way cheaper (though less convenient). Be sure to cook the kidney beans properly though.. wouldn't want to get sick (only applicable to dried beans)

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

Jan. 12, 2012, 2:20 a.m.

Healthy goodies…

Grain, gluten, egg, dairy, free brownies and pumpkin spice muffins…and trust me they actually taste amazing :)
Egg Free Pumpkin Spice Muffins
(gluten free, dairy free, soy free, grain free, egg free)

2 Tbsp ground Organic Chia Seed meal
2 Tbsp Organic Flaxseed Meal
5 Tbsp boiling water

1 can organic pumpkin puree (15 oz/425g)
1/2 cup honey
1 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup Organic Coconut Flour
1/2 cup almond flour (I ground my own here)
1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1.5 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder

Preheat your oven to 350*F and grease your muffin pans (I made 12 large and 12 mini with this recipe)
In your mixing bowl add the boiled water to the flax and chia meals (grind your chia first and then measure). Mix well then allow to gel for about 5 minutes while you assemble your dry ingredients.
In a small bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients and set aside.
Add the coconut oil and vanilla to the flax/chia combo and blend well (the heat of the water should melt it if your coconut oil is still solid)
Add in your dry ingredients and blend just until incorporated, stopping once to scrape the bottom and sides with a spatula
Pour into your muffin tins and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
Remove from oven when the muffins are dark and look firm. Test with a toothpick, but it will still be a bit gooey.

**Allow your Muffins to cool on a wire rack! I enjoyed them warm, but they will still seem like they're not cooked if you don't let them fully cool. Store on the counter for up to 2 days or in the fridge- it will get a little harder if refrigerated. Top with cashew-date frosting if you like once cooled (see below).

Cashew-Date Frosting

1 cup raw cashews
3 dates
3 Tbsp coconut oil
Soak your cashews over night or in boiling water (covered) for an hour or two. In another small bowl, your food processor or blender bowl cover your halved dates with boiling water. Let soak until soft. Pour out the soaking water and reserve for later if needed. Blend the dates, cashews, and coconut oil until creamy. If you need a bit more water to blend, add some of the date water. Place in refrigerator just until chilled and then pipe or spread onto muffin
Egg-free, Grain-free Brownies:

Whip with an electric mixer:
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of water
1/8 tsp xanthan gum

Add to water and xanthan gum mixture:

1/2 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 cup almond butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 droppers-full vanilla liquid stevia
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Beat with electric mixer.

Pour into square greased cake pan.
Spread slightly (it will even itself out).
Sprinkle with 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips. I used Enjoy Life. I like them because they're mini.
Bake at 325 degrees, for about 35 minutes.

Corn-free (grain-free) Baking Powder:

1 part baking soda
2 parts cream of tartar
2 parts starch

Jan. 12, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

I make this often.

Tofu Broccoli Stir-fry

Serves 2 adults.
Ingredients
- 1 cup rice (I use white basmati)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp butter
- 2-3 Tbsp of sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 onion cut into 1” pieces
- 1 Pkg (350g) extra-firm tofu (I use Sunrise) cut into ¾” cubes
- 1 large (or 2 small) broccoli heads cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter (I use Adams)
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce (I use Aroy D)

1. Bring rice, salt and butter to boil (covered) in 2 cups of water. Uncover and boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to min, cover, and let stand until water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
2. While rice is cooking, toast sesame seeds in a small frying pan over low-med heat until fragrant. Shake so seeds don’t burn.
3. While rice is cooking and seeds are toasting, in a large skillet or wok, heat oil on medium until fragrant. Stir-fry onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Add tofu and stir-fry until tofu is browned and onion is all but caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add more oil if necessary.
5. Add broccoli and mix for 1 minute. Reduce heat slightly, cover for about 7-10 minutes, stirring only twice. Broccoli should be bright green and cooked but not soft.
6. While broccoli is cooking, mix in a small bowl the peanut butter and chili sauce into a paste. Add to stir-fry and mix with broccoli, tofu and onion until evenly distributed.
7. Serve stir-fry over rice and sprinkle liberally with toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Jan. 13, 2012, 6:06 a.m.

I make this often.

Tofu Broccoli Stir-fry

Tofu is evil stuff.
Fast and easy to cook yes but not healthy at all.

Just some quick links I found for you.

Linky

Linky

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 13, 2012, 6:40 a.m.

Sleeman Honey Brown 'The Beer That Eats Like a Meal'

Jan. 13, 2012, 6:50 a.m.

"Guinness The Beer That Eats Like a Meal"

FYP

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.